Author Topic: Who's afraid of the big, bad West now?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Who's afraid of the big, bad West now?
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »
Spurs loose the the Sixers, Lakers loose to the Magic.  Note that this isn't Boston or Cleveland we're talking about here, but two younger, up and coming teams in the East.  The Magic just outshot the Lakers in their own building, not too many teams can do that!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:26:33 AM by rickortreat »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Who's afraid of the big, bad West now?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
That Magic are definately and up and comming team.  I'd bet the farm on ANY WC playoff team beating the Sixers in a 7 game series right now, there is NOTHING scary about the Sixers.  The Sixers are at least two players away from being anything worth noting.  The Sixers actually have to wait around for the demise of the Cavs and Celtics before they will do anything in the playoffs.  If by up and comming you mean the Sixers will still be around when the Cavs and Celtics ride off into the sunset and leave the EC barren, then maybe......

IMO the scrariest up and comming team is the Portland Trailblazers.  I cannot remember the last time I saw so much young talent on one team.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
Over the past 5 games the two hottest teams in the NBA are Orlando and Phila. in that order.  Since Phila. has been doing it without Brand, they might be one player away, but they appear pretty complete as they are, except for up front.

I'm not going to start projecting Phila. based on one 5 or 10 game sample. But they are much better than their record and much stronger than you seem to think.  Let's see what happens next week after they play Dallas (who's fadeing) and New Orleans. 

Considering that San Antonio beat the Lakers at home just 3 days ago, suggests they were playing pretty well. The game in Phila. wasn't close or tight by any stretch.  They were blown out of the building so badly that Pop pulled his starters.  He's smart enough to not waste his best players in a fruitless effort.

I'll wait until I see them play the Cavaliers and Boston again, before I re-evaluate them, but I think they are probably the 4th best team in the East now, behind them and Orlando.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:30:51 AM »
Philly is actually the 2nd hottest over 10 games.  They have been taking care of buisness but IMO the Spurs had a major let down after their HUGE victory over the Lakers.

The Magic are legit, the Sixers are not.  It will be "Deja va all over again" for you Rick regarding the fools gold at the end of the Sixers rainbow.

Cavs, Magic, Celts, Hawks, Pistons and Heat IMO are all better than the Sixers.  The Sixers could move ahead of the Heat but that's about it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:35:01 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »
It's a very long season.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »
Just wait and see.  The Sixers are much better than you think, and it's not a mirage. It will take a very good team to stop them, and I don't think the Mavericks are up to the challenge. Maybe New Orleans, but they can only take them on one at a time.