Author Topic: Spurs at the Sixers 1/16  (Read 2231 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs at the Sixers 1/16
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:25:04 AM »
Finally a game for the Sixers where there are posters for both teams about!  This is something of a revenge match for the Sixers, who started a winning streak just after loosing to San Antonio by a last-second shot from Tony Parker.  This was quite ironic, since Andre Miller was the best player on the court that night, even though TP managed 10 assists.

I think that game gave the Sixers confidence to go on the winning streak and believe in themselves and what they were doing, since the were able to compete with the Spurs all night on their home court.  The Spurs are still an elite team and lesser teams use them as a measure to determine where they stand.  I think they left the game thinking they could beat SA, and that was enough against the lesser competition they had to face afterwards.

One of the things that makes SA so tough is that they don't beat themselves. They never loose their focus or their poise, and they have great confidence in their ability to get things done.

The 5 game streak the Sixers are on has put them back into the playoff picture in the EC, and while they have had a few easy games, Portland was supposed to be a good team (actually ranked higher in Power Rankings than SA) and Phila. jumped all of them and blew them out by 20 points.

The Spurs have to be feeling pretty good too, having just knocked off the best WC team in the Lakers.  I'll be looking forward to watching this game to see if the Sixers can continue their recent success on their path back to repectability.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Spurs at the Sixers 1/16
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
If Brand were healthy, this would potentially be a great game, and would really address what WayOut and I were saying in the other thread.

As it stands, I'm not sure it's that great of a game.  While you do have Dalembert to deal with Duncan, that's a HUGE disparity in the post.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
I don't expect much from Philly.  How Dalambert is a starter in this league is beyond me.  The Spurs should have no problem with the Sixers unless Miller takes it upon himself to abuse TP.  Other than that the Sixers don't present anything new for the Spurs to handle.  Despite what has been posted on this board in the past, Iggs is not in the same league as Kobe and Young is still a little to unpolished to be a Spurs killer, plus in the games I've seen the Sixers don't seem to run many plays for Young.  Young looks promising but the Sixers don't seem to show case the guy, I don't know why, are they trying to bring him along at a safe pace or do they not know what they have.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:19:03 AM »
Honestly haven't we all, including RealSpurs, been saying that they need to address that problem for the last 3 years?

Though even if Brand was in how much would it prove you two right?  Are you guys saying even Dalmebert and Brand would make the Spurs look thin in the front line?  I wouldn't exactly consider Phillys big men towards the top of the league.  At least not with the way this team has been playing so far this year.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
Honestly haven't we all, including RealSpurs, been saying that they need to address that problem for the last 3 years? 
Jack Handey #1 and 2 have the need to (try to) feel puffy.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
I just read that Brand's playing tonight would be a game-time decision, but I wasn't thinking about him when I started the thread.

Sam is definitely over-matched at Center with TD, as is every other big the Sixers have available.  But Speights seemed to do ok against Tim when they played, at least on the offensive end.  And the Sixers may try to play both of them together, and also bring in Ratliff if the Spurs try to play big.

Since the Sixers haven't gotten much national exposure, no one has any reason to think they would be competitive, other than that they lost by a close score last time.

But the Sixer have enhanced their style of play and improved vastly since that meeting.  Iggy may not be comparable to Kobe, but he has been putting up Kobe like numbers recently. If anyone can slow down Ginobli, it's Iguodala. And since DiLeo has become coach, they have been running plays for Thad and he has produced even though he's playing out of position at the 4 spot.

What I think gives the Sixers a chance is their style of play. Pressuring defense, running at every opportunity. The only thing that enabled the Sixers to make it close last time was Miller shooting 12-14 from the floor. It was actually a Miller turnover that gave the Spurs the last possession in a tied game.

But the Sixers are playing with confidence and shooting the 3 ball, better than they ever have. That is something entirely new, along with running plays and improved spacing in the half-court.  Teams that take care of the ball and avoid turnovers force the Sixers to play 5 on 5. Until recently, that was a recipe for disaster, but not any longer. The Spurs won't let them run, but they will still have to work very hard on defense to keep the Sixers from scoring.  The Spurs can lay that type of D, but it takes a lot of effort.

Match-up wise the Sixers don't really have a match for TD, but they do for everyone else on the Spurs. In Phila. they had success beating SA last season, without Brand. Unless someone other than the Spurs big three shows up, I think the Sixers will surprise you, but as far as I know the only people who will get to see the game are people in SA and Phila.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
Rick was was last years Sixers/Spurs series record?

1-1?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
How Dalambert is a starter in this league is beyond me

He won't be after this year.  Speights will be the starting C on the team next year IMO.

Miller generally struggles against quicker guards, so I expect him to get abused pretty badly tonight.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
Rick was was last years Sixers/Spurs series record?

1-1?

I'm not sure, but I think that's right.  According to the local paper, they have won 2 of 3 against the Spurs at home.

A. Miller, who Dabods suggest would be abused vs. Tony Parker, stats from the game in SA:

Min.  FGM/A  3pt. FGM/A FTM/A Reb. Asst. To. Stl.   Pts.
Miller   36:38 12-14  1-1             3-4     6     3      1    1     28

Parker 38:18  7-17   2-3            0-0     3     10    4   0     15

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:26:48 PM »
A. Miller, who Dabods suggest would be abused vs. Tony Parker, stats from the game in SA:

Never let a small sample size get in the way of an argument.

Last year Parker averaged 20.5 pts, 6 assists on 59% shooting against the Sixers.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 08:16:28 PM »
Great first half by the Sixers.  I thought they got jobbed by the refs several times, but it didn't matter. Iguodala was incredible with two buzzer-beater shots, including a three from beyond half-court.  San Antonio was playing great defense, but the Sixers were relentless.

Sam Dalembert was doing as good a job on Duncan as anyone and got called for two fouls one of which was definitely NOT a foul.  He blocked Duncans' shot and got all ball, and hit his arm afterwards.

Sixers shot over 50% from the field in the half. The Spurs only managed 43.9%
IMO, Spurs are lucky to only be down by 7.  If only Brand was playing....

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »
Wow.

There goes my career handicapping games.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:19:36 PM »
Interested in  what the Spurs fans who watched the game thought of Speights and Young.  Speights' offensive game is so diverse for a rookie big man.  In 3 years he might be the Sixers most natural scorer.  13/9/2 in 21 minutes tonight.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
Wow.

There goes my career handicapping games.

I thought the Sixers were getting better, but THAT was ridiculous.  If neither team had any history behind it, they would think the Sixers were the world beaters and not the Spurs.  I didn't expect this, but needless to say I'm very pleased.  The win was so thorough, that the Sixers were able to rest their starters, which will save their legs for New York tomorrow.

Not an easy two games for the Spurs playing LA, then traveling to Phila. for a game. I'd say they were happy to beat the Lakers, but aren't feeling too good now.

That's Six in a row for the Sixers.  They have a couple of tough games coming up with Dallas and New Orleans.  Good for the Sixers that Brand should be back by then, and may even go tomorrow.  Now, they think they can beat anyone, teams that thought they were going to get a W when they played Philly will have to rethink that now.  They're not going to be able to sneak up on anyone after this.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
I thought the Sixers were getting better, but THAT was ridiculous.  If neither team had any history behind it, they would think the Sixers were the world beaters and not the Spurs.  I didn't expect this, but needless to say I'm very pleased.  The win was so thorough, that the Sixers were able to rest their starters, which will save their legs for New York tomorrow.

Not an easy two games for the Spurs playing LA, then traveling to Phila. for a game. I'd say they were happy to beat the Lakers, but aren't feeling too good now.

That's Six in a row for the Sixers.  They have a couple of tough games coming up with Dallas and New Orleans.  Good for the Sixers that Brand should be back by then, and may even go tomorrow.  Now, they think they can beat anyone, teams that thought they were going to get a W when they played Philly will have to rethink that now.  They're not going to be able to sneak up on anyone after this.

Spurs had a days rest, no excuse.  The Spurs have problems with athletic teams but it's not out of the questions to think they might have had a let down after the Lakers game.  Hard for me to buy the let down excuse as well because they are a team with a core of veterans.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"