Author Topic: Sixers/Atl post game. Sixers playing better ball  (Read 3402 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Sixers/Atl post game. Sixers playing better ball
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
Really solid win.  I watched it on the DVR, and I agree that it was the icing on the cake.  A few observations:

-The team looked exactly like they did down the stretch last year.  They now just have to do it with Brand in the line-up.  They look to be starting their Spring run a month early.

-For much of the game Andre Miller was the best player on the floor.  Not just controlling the game on offense, but he played solid D of JJ.  How out of shape was he earlier in the season, because he is a different guy out there right now.  I wonder if maybe he can even mesh better with Brand now that he is back in form- but that may be asking too much.

-Speights.  Every night he makes a play or two that makes me jump out of my seat.  I think I am more excited about Speights right now than I was about Thad at this time last season- and that's saying something.  Young still probably has more upside, but Speights looks like he is a player.  If he gets bigger and stronger he might approach some of the things Amare does- and I don't think I'm being biased.

-Evans and Ivey 'efforting.'  They really cut down on their negatives.  They combined for 5-5 from 3pt and FT's.  Combined +23.  As much as a normaly hate to watch those guys, they really played well today.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers/Atl post game. Sixers playing better ball
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »
Agree with everything, except I think Mareese has more upside, because he's a Center/PF and players with his skill set are very rare at that height.

Thad is a very good player, but he's a tweener- to big to be a guard, and not nearly a good enough dribble, big enough to play Small forward and depending on the team sometimes Power Forward.  But when Thad has to play someone of Speights' size, he can't do it.

Both of them are very young players and are likely to fill-out, not get any taller of course, but build more muscle and bulk so they can stand their ground in the lane. Large wide-bodies can move Speights around without much trouble now. And with some extra muscle That might be able to compete better.

But since the Sixers have Brand to play PF, it makes sense for Thad to work on his dribble and focus on playing the 3 spot.  He has such great range with his shot, that he and Brand could work a great inside/outside game. But he's got to become more proficient with handling the ball.

Miller is playing at an All-Star level these past few games. Was it conditioning or DiLeo?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
Thad shouls eventually fit in nicely at SF, he has plenty of length and his ahndle and shooting are improving.  He and Speights both have very high ceilings, really it is too close to call on that since they both have a long way to go.  I am just glad to have them on our team.

I did not get to catch any of the game yesterday since I was an idiot and forgot what time it was on.  tk's points about Miller are interesting.  he certainly was very far out of shape at the beginning of the year and as he gets older it will take longer and longer for him to get in shape in-season.  Plus, playing while he is out of shape makes him an injury risk, he has been durable in his career, but age plus inconsistent conditioning equals a very good cahnce of early season injuries going forward.  This is one of the reasons that anything more than a two year extension for him would be too much.  That way his contract would expire along with the contracts or replacement contracts (if we manage to trade them) of Green, Evans and Sammy.

Miller essentially plays power PG these days.  tk complimented his defense against JJ, plus he was guarding Redd down the stretch against Milwaukee.  It is good that he can do this, but it is also clear that he can't guard quality PG's with any quickness.  His strength and guile are an asset in defending SG's for short bursts at the end of the game, but guarding his own position consistently is difficult for him.  A good team defender for sure, but he can't stay in front of his man at PG.

As for this team going on a run, it is early to call that.  A week ago they looked terrible, this week they look better, but the truth probably lies in between.  They look bad against teams that protect the ball and play solid D themselves and Thad at PF only works when the other team is not big and skilled at that position.  They are still very much a work in progress.

They are 6-6 since Brand's injury, looking alternatively miserable and good.  Other than a few games early on this is also the same timeframe as the DiLeo era.  Hard to tell which, if either, is the cause of their successes and failures.  When Brand comes back I expect to see a lot of him playing C or sharing the big spots with Speights, with possibly less of Sammy and definitely less of Evans and Ratliff.  It will be interesting to see who DiLeo sends to the bench when Brand is back, it could be anyone not named Andre.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »
If there are no good trade options, I would consider trying to extend Miller to a 2 year 7M deal.  It should be a buyers market this summer, so I doubt Miller would get a better offer.  But, we still need to learn if Miller is even interested in staying worth this team.

If we did extend Miller I would have him and Lou both play PG/SG (like they are currently doing) with Miler gradually playing more SG.  Then draft or trade for a developmental PG this summer to replace Miller over the 2 years.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
Brand is a team player.  He even suggested initially coming off the bench when he returns as a way to work him in without disrupting team chemistry.  The guy certainly is no prima dona. 

Brand: 'I'm about winning'

By: Tom Moore

Elton Brand understands that the Sixers are playing well without him, having won four in a row heading into Wednesday's home game against the Trail Blazers. So when he returns from a dislocated right shoulder, which could be as soon as this weekend but more likely next week, he said he's willing to initially come off the bench if that's best for the team.

"I?m about winning," said Brand after participating in a half-court scrimmage during Monday afternoon's practice. "Let?s get this thing right. When I come back and if we?re still winning, that?s what it?s about."

Brand, a 10th-year power forward, said he's come off the bench before, including the first game back last season with the Clippers after sitting out the first 74 with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

"I?m not one of the players with the ego that I can?t do that," Brand said. "I?m about winning."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/opinions/blogs/intell_blogs/intell_blogs_details/article/634/2009/january/12/brand-im-about-winning.html

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »
OK, checking in from VA on day 1 of one hell of a terrible biz trip (Driving from jers. to va to cover accounts all throughout western VA, then covering the VA coast tomorrow, then driving to a meeting in Charleston, S.C. on Wed., then driving to Orlando for a 4 day trade show, then driving back to DC for a meeting Monday afternoon, then back to Jers.... whew)

Anyway, for those who watched the game, did anyone else notice that we seem to be running set plays on the 2nd or 3rd possessions (or both) out of timeouts?  I like the way we are setting back picks and finding Iguodala, Speights, Young, and Dalembert for lobs....Its nothing new, but it seems like we're utilizing our athleticism on almost every possession to create more half-court opportunities.... its been keeping the defense moving and seems to open things up all around for our offense.  

Also, how about that tip in by Speights in the 4th quarter?  I'm pretty sure Speights was out past the foul line, crashed a missed shot from the opposite side of the rim and reached over to the other side, caught it with his fingertips, and laid it in with a soft touch in mid air.  He made an incredibly difficult shot look easy.  Incredible hands for a big.  

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
Not surprising, the guy has seemed very genuine all along.  Brand is talented, but he is also a self-made player, a lunch pail kind of guy who should be very popular in Philadelphia.  Once he gets back to full speed I really think we will see a lot of Brand as the big in the smaller line-up or playing with Speights.  I think a lot of the incompatibility issues that occurred early on were incompatible bigs playing together with Sammy and Brand on the floor.  With Brand out it became pretty clear that this was Sam's problem, not Elton's.  Sam still does not seem to understand his role, and let's be serious, he never will.  

Dalembert plays well in a limited role as the only defensive big, and even then he can't seem to stay on the floor for more than 20-25 mpg.  He does not set great picks on the perimeter or baseline, has no real shot to speak of to space the floor and little basketball IQ to figure out how to compliment another interior big like Brand.  I would really like to see Sammy moved in an effort to pick up Hinrich and one of Chicago's role playing bigs.  Adding in a shooter to replace WG and a limited minute starter at C who has a brain would be a huge improvement.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
There is still the nagging issue of Miller amd Brand not being very compatible.  But maybe that is moot now that Miller has morphed into a modern day Craig Hodges?

-Anke, about the plays out of TO's.  That was one of Salmi's rare good insights.  I am impressed by how efficient the team has been running.  I'm amazed they can run an offense even when they throw out multiple weak players like Evans and Ivey at the same time. 

It looks like Iguodala, Lou and Miller have been instructed not to pass to those guys unless they are open for an uncontested shot.  This has helped Iguodala and Lou to more aggressively create and has kept Ivey, Evans, Sam and Theo out of positions where they are likely to fail.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:56:24 PM by tk76- »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »
I think that whole thing with DiLeo telling guys to shoot the rock if they're open has really helped as well.  I've seen a lot less of that split-second hesitation that costs us a lot of looks.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »
I think that whole thing with DiLeo telling guys to shoot the rock if they're open has really helped as well.  I've seen a lot less of that split-second hesitation that costs us a lot of looks.

I think this has been huge.  Other than Thad and Lou who started the season shooting hot, everyone else seemed tentative and hesitant shooting from three.  Well not WG, but he is so streaky that being hesitant or confident seems to matter little with him.  Ivey hitting open threes has been a huge boost, plus his playing D on opposing PG's late with Miller playing opposing SG's. 

The other thing I like is that while guys are shooting with more confidence, no one is abusing the privilege either.  I think there is a lot to be said about the character of the guys on this team being very high and the egos being fairly small.  Even Iggy who sometimes overdoes things, often seems to do so more out of a feeling that he needs to do those things because he is the de facto franchise guy, moreso than out of pure ego.  I do think DiLeo is starting to squeeze a higher level of execution from the team that Mo just was not getting for one reason or another.  I am not a big Jasner fan, but I thought his article on Mo and DiLeo was right on today:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sixerville/Would_This_Have_Happened_If____.html

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
According to Tom Moore (posting at ReclinerGM):
An update: Elton Brand participated in a full-court scrimmage during Tuesday?s Sixers practice and said he didn?t have any new soreness. He said he could possibly play Friday against the Spurs AND Saturday vs. the Knicks, depending on what the medical staff recommends. I?d say it?s more likely he?ll go Saturday or next Tuesday against the Mavs, barring any setbacks.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
I will be going to next Saturday's game against the Knicks, hopefully Brand will be back by then.  The last game I saw in person was his 27 pt performance against the Wiz in DiLeo's first game.  Brand was hurt in the next game I believe.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
I've got tickets to fridays game for sure, and I think Saturdays.  Hopefully he's back in the lineup.