Author Topic: Pacers @ Sixers 12/20  (Read 15065 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Pacers @ Sixers 12/20
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »
No one thinks less of Sam than me.  But even he doesn't often screwup wide-open floaters.  It's when he battles for position and forgets to ready his hands that he f's up mostly.  I always find that curious:  He goes to the trouble of getting in position to receive...yet he seems shocked TO receive.

Anyway, Iggy sucks.

(Let me clarify:  For a team's #1 or #2 option?  Iggy sucks.  Sad, but true.)

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
I don't get the stay in the playoff hunt thing - trade miller now - his value drops fractionally every day to any team that wants him as a player...this team as built 100% healthy isn't getting past the second round of the playoffs (maybe not even the first) and if you don't trade miller and TRY and get a PG - you're a little fracked.

At least that's how I see it

And Sam can blow a dunk with no one in his way - he can blow anything - pressure and sam mix like oil and flame - it's combustible and almost never good

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »

And Sam can blow a dunk with no one in his way - he can blow anything - pressure and sam mix like oil and flame - it's combustible and almost never good

1.  There was no pressure; there rarely is on an alley oop.  Sam was all by his lonesome.
2.  Do you honestly believe THAT'S why Iggy didn't pass it to the incredibly-open Sam?  I suspect it's because Iggy fancies himself as the team's 'franchise player'.  The guy who gets the ball in 'money time'.  Iverson would have lobbed that before you or I even SAW Sam open.  And Iggy can't wear AI's doo-rag.

Dear lord...send us an actual all star!

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 06:08:27 PM »
I would not be so concerned about making the playoffs had they not signed Brand (too many negatives in that sentence.)  Most of the team's core players will be better in 3 years than they are now, but Brand might not be.  If the team wants to commit so much to Brand, they can't waste his prime years rebuilding.

On the flip side, Brand hasn't seemed close to how his was in his best years, and he may or may not get back to his peak after all of his injuries heal (achilles, hamstring, Shoulder.)

As for Iguodala- he is more valuable when he focuses less on scoring and more on creating/defending/rebounding.  Same thing for Miller.  Again, I wish they would structure the offense to better take advantage of Thad, Lou and Speights.  Those guys are much more naturally gifted scorers.  I guess they are considered to young to carry the load?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
Several things from this game:

1.  New rule -if Royal Ivey attempts to shoot a three pointer other than an end of quarter heave, he must be beaten soundly with hammers and lead pipes.

2.  Thad looks a lot like Lou did a few weeks ago, scoring only in short bursts and looking very unsure of himself on offense.  This has been going on for a while now, hopefully he comes through it the way Lou has recently.  For now I'll chalk it up to growing pains.

3.  Iggy is not a number one option, end of game kind of guy.  Nothing new here, just confirming it again.

4.  Speights should be on the floor down the stretch, at least until Brand is recovered.  The kid is a real beast with very advanced skills for a rookie.

5.  Kareem Rush should be inactive most nights when we have a full roster.  He may be the greatest three point shooter in history in garbage time, but in competitive situations with actual defense being played, not so much.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »
if Royal Ivey attempts to shoot a three pointer other than an end of quarter heave, he must be beaten soundly with hammers and lead pipes.

This might improve his form.  The kid has about the worst touch I have ever seen for a guard.  His lack of touch rivals Evans.

Thad looks a lot like Lou did a few weeks ago

That's the problem when your best offensive players are 20, 21 and 22.  They are going to be hot and cold.  That's the problem with the expectation that this team could contend this year of next.  Keeping the ball in more offensively challenged hands like the Andres and even Brand makes things even worse.  No shooters, and the good scorers are 2-3 years from there prime.  Its the challenge Ed took on when he signed Brand- signaling this team is less about rebuilding then trying to win right away.

4.  Speights ... is a real beast with very advanced skills for a rookie.

I was jumping out of my seat in the first half when Speights was taking over.  Wish they would have stayed with him more, although 24 min is not bad.  In his initial minutes he looked like a man possessed out there- almost like he was channeling Amare.

5.  Kareem Rush should be inactive most nights when we have a full roster.

Against that weak Pacers squad, they should have started Lou in the 2nd half instead of Rush.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
"This is the Sam we need every night," DiLeo said.

"If that's what they want, I have to play," Dalembert said. "I can't be on the bench."

Sam complaining.  He's a consistent whiner.  Not so consistent when it comes to his game

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
At least he's consistent at something

If Andre Miller pays no penalties for shooting 3's why the heck should Royal Ivey?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »
At least he's consistent at something

If Andre Miller pays no penalties for shooting 3's why the heck should Royal Ivey?

Miller makes them occasionally and at least usually hits the rim allowing for a rebound.  Ivey throws passes to the basket support or shoots airballs, you call it what you will, but its ugly.  Ivey appears to be the guard form of Reggie, think about it:

1.  Shooting touch that scares the basketball and all in attnedance near the basket - Check.
2.  Effective only in a scrambling defense, short minute role - Check.
3.  Will punch opposing players in the nuts if necessary - Check.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 08:06:13 AM »

4% of Andre Miller's field goal attempts are 3 pointers.
50% of Royal Ivey's attempts are 3 pointers.

Ivey bothers me slightly more.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »
http://www.82games.com/0809/08PHI3.HTM

Cringe worthy.  Ivey is the epitome of a marginal player.  I doubt he would even be a starter in Europe.  I had low expectations for him, but still? 

Ivey and Rush have to be better than they have looked, right?  They may only be getting the minimum, but neither look worthy of a 10 day contract.  They make Henderson and Booth seem good.

Oh for the days of David Wingate, Kevin Ollie and Doug Overton.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Ivey's horrible. I said so on the signing.  He doesn't have nba offense and his defense is wildly overrated (to the point where it's below average IMO).

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
I'm not saying either should shoot 3 pointers, but Miller has a career 3 PT % of about 20% and Ivey's is 30%.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »
Hopefully, if we make a larger trade of Sammy or Miller, it will include an exchange of marginal players in the interests of making the salaries match.  I think Ivey is fine defensively in a pressure mode where his athleticism kicks in as an asset.  Staright up his deense is average at best, although that sadly still makes him our best defensive PG.  Rush is horrible and looks much smaller and slighter than the size he is listed as.

jemagee

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
Hey - Part of the reason I wasn't giving Stefanski an "A" off season was that I thought the bench could have been at least a little better.

I'm not pro Ivey or anything - but this team is such a fracking mess still that it seems mean to pick on royal ivey