Author Topic: Pacers @ Sixers 12/20  (Read 14838 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Pacers @ Sixers 12/20
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 11:01:10 AM »
I think part of the bench issues are the lack of defined roles that have been problematic all year long.  Rush has just looked terrible, I have no confidence in him.  Reggie and Ivey can play well in limited minutes with Lou and Speights as the primary scorers on the second team and with Marshall or Theo playing spot minutes depending on what we need.

jemagee

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
The numbers so far this year indicate that Reggie Evans, not so much with the 'positive impact'  The on off court defensive rebounding disparity is scary - and while it's great that the offensive rebounding is better with him on the floor - i still think he's more of an overall detriment than a positive on the floor

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »
I'm not saying either should shoot 3 pointers, but Miller has a career 3 PT % of about 20% and Ivey's is 30%.

Percentage is virtually worthless when 4% of his attempts are 3's.  Percentage is much more indicative of overall efficiency when it's 50% of your shots.

Miller not having range hurts us.  Miller taking 3's and losing effectiveness doesn't.

Ivey's inability to hit a 3 becomes a bigger issue when half his shots are 3's and he's wildly ineffective.

If you're saying neither should shoot 3's, and Miller's by and large listening to that, then it comes to reason that Ivey not listening to that is an issue.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Ed could not have signed better role players for the minimum.  I also don't think he could have gotten anything back of value for Evans or Green- if he could have even found a trade partner.  Theo and Marshall are probably a bit better than advertised and can at least give spot minutes.

As for Evans- he kills them out there 90% of the time.  For every oboard and forced TO he has a lane violation or fouls someone at 30 ft when in the bonus.  Not to mention, he shoots like Royal Ivey. 

Speights is ahead of Evans on the depth chart.  The only reason he gets minutes now is that Brand is out.  I expect <7 min/game after Brand returns, and no role after this season.

This team will be hard to watch on offense this year.  They have a collection of guys who can score but are not true scorers (the Andres, Brand), scorers who are 22 or under, scrubs who endanger public safety when they shoot and shooters who can't defend a lick (Marshall and Rush.) 

There is no "system" that makes these pieces fit on offense.  They will be better when their young players are ready to carry the load.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
"This is the Sam we need every night," DiLeo said.

"If that's what they want, I have to play," Dalembert said. "I can't be on the bench."

Sam complaining.  He's a consistent whiner.  Not so consistent when it comes to his game

where did he say that? 

(link)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »
This was not a good year to go without a second round pick.  I know the team is very young, but we could have done better than some of our marginal role players by adding a young body or two in the second round of what is turning into a very deep draft.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 12:36:43 PM »
My original quote was from the last 2 lines of this article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20081221_Late_loss_sends_Sixers_packing.html

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:46 PM »
oh my

What tk posted was tame compared to some of the other whining he did.

Thanks.

jemagee

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »
I didn't actually read it - Sam's whining is kind of irritating and all about sam - and always has been - since o'brien was here i had no respect for him and his 'committment' to team - sam's about sam...plain and simple...if onliy isiah were still in the league...i wonder if McHale could be conned into taking him?

This was not a good year to go without a second round pick.  I know the team is very young, but we could have done better than some of our marginal role players by adding a young body or two in the second round of what is turning into a very deep draft.

Teams going budget conscious - they cost 50K - not a big deal if the sixers see someone they want.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
But Sam says,

There is no problem with me. I never complain.

If you say that you never complain...

jemagee

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
I think Sam is taking lessons from TO

Offline Sundown

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »
Hey everyone.  Nice board here.

Boy, I hadn't seen those Sam quotes.

Poor Sam.  He just will never get it.  He just wants to be put on the court so he can run around like a headless chicken.  At the end of the game he will have a bunch of rebounds, a few blocks, and a few points-- and in his mind that's plenty good enough.  There's nothing else to the game as far as he's concerned.

Is there a coach out there that he wouldn't have a problem with?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »
Sam is child-like in both his understanding of the game and his petulance.  I think the guy simply doesn't "get it."  I expect him to be moved at some point, I really wish it had been part of a move for J-Rich.

jemagee

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
What's sad is that there are some fans out there who will look at aht bunch of rebounds, few points (and especially the few blocks) and think - hey sam had a good game.