Author Topic: I want to talk about the Jazz!!  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I want to talk about the Jazz!!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
Why do you keep misspelling 'Miller'?

I know the game JoMal is playing.  You are so coy.

Why Michael Redd's name?  He is a big time scorer and a great shooter but don't you already have a shooter in Korver?  What about a slasher?

Yeah we have Korver but he's essentially a limited player.  Throughout the course of his career he hasn't proven versatile enough to be able to put scoring numbers up there in the 20 pt range.  I like Korver as a player, don't get me wrong.  I just very much doubt he would be an answer at the 2-guard.  Most especially since he was a SF at Creighton, a SF most of the time in Philly, and his lack of dribbling has forced Sloan to play him at back-up SF most of the time. 

We also don't need a slasher because Utah has real trouble stretching the floor with consistent outsite shooting.  Deron can slash and break down defenses already.  Deron Williams and Mehmet Okur are our only true threats from outside but Deron should be breaking the defense down and Okur shouldn't rely on the 3-pointer that much in an ideal situation.

What we need is a dead-eye 3-point shooter who has the scoring versatility to put up 20 points.  Ray Allen (although he's getting up there in years), Michael Redd, Manu Ginobili (who would be the perfect type of SG with PG skills that Sloan loves), and Kevin Martin (your proto-type scoring 2-guard).  If we can move Boozer and get one of these guys (with exception of Allen--Boston would have to throw in something else), I think it immensley helps out Utah.  Plus I don't think these deals are that much of a stretch, after all Boozer is a bonafide 20 and 10 guy.

I'd be interested in what some others have to say.  Ziggy, Derek, Rick, does this make sense or is the West a done deal no matter what. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »
Skander, Joe, Caleb, and non-Jazz fans,

In the 2008 playoffs, Boozer was a big letdown, no doubt. But he was strong in the 2007 playoffs when the Jazz went to the conference finals.

23.5 PPG, 53.6 FG%, 76/103 FTA/M, 12.2 RPG, 2.9 APG, 1 SPG

16.0 PPG, 41.5 FG%, 40/56 FTA/M, 12.3 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.5 SPG

Not too much difference in rebounds and assists. I think it comes down to shot selection. In 2007, Carlos averaged 6.1 FTA per game. In, 2008: 4.7

I think last year was a combination of being ice cold and settling for jumpers. I don't think he was much of a defender in either year, but his rebounding was identical.

What I'm getting at is basically what I told you a few months ago. I'm not sure it's time to give up on Boozer, especially since it is looking less and less like he's planning on moving away. Since his son has returned to health, he and his family have moved full time to Salt Lake City because his son doesn't have to be near his doctors. The Miami problem doesn't seem as much as an issue as it did a few months ago.

With that said, I would not be against trading him for the right piece. Oberto and Finley? Reality, you are either a master-baiter (WoW would probably say that one's been settled) or just plain stoopid.

I'm not sure Martin is enough. We need a 2 that can take his turn defending Kobe and Manu, IMO. Not sure that's Martin. When Maggette signed with us as a restricted FA, I really thought he'd thrive in this system, but it was not to be. Give me a 2 guard who can defend AND shoot with a motion that doesn't make me spontaneously dry heave (Brewer).

Problem is, I like Brewer's game. He defends, he moves VERY well without the ball, and he is crazy efficient on offense. If we replace Brewer with someone we get for Boozer, it better be an All-Star IMO. And besides, we may already have our 2 in C.J. Miles. With Miles on board and no all-star 2 guard deals apparent, I'd vote for giving Booz another playoff shot.

We would have given the Lakers some serious heartburn if Boozer had brought his 2007 game, and we may still with our bench getting so much run this season.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:29:27 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Kyle Korver is not a starter in the NBA and he's not a 2 guard

:)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
he's a victim of his own quality coaching/rosters in terms of COY voting.

So in other words he's too good of a coach to win Coach of the Year . . . got it!

Fabs n Finley for Boozer

Which part of this sentence I initially posted did you not comprehend, Reality:

I think Utah would be better served getting rid of Boozer, replacing him with Paul Millsap in the starting lineup and getting a REAL, HONEST-TO-GOODNESS shooting guard to put in the starting lineup .

Finley may have been at one time but he is way past his prime and wouldn't want to rely on him as our starting shooting guard for the next couple of years.  You're going to have to give me someone on the quality of Kevin Martin.  So I'll tell you what, give me Manu Ginobili and Matt Bonner and I'll consider it.   

Hey JoMal, are you even considering the Martin deal or should I take the hint?

I WISH I had him this year to be honest with you.  Id give up Lamar Odom and another player just to get him back.....

Yeah Westkoast, he's definitely been good for fantasy while Boozer's been out.  In real life though, I've never seen the guy not play his heart out.  I'm interested to hear your comments, do you think getting rid of Boozer makes sense for the Jazz?  Is Millsap good enough to be plugged in the starting lineup full time and would a Kevin Martin/Michael Redd type of player be worth giving up Boozer?  The only reason I'm so sure is that before Boozer was injured this year I called Millsap to be an 18/12 type of starter, so he fell short a bit and is getting 17/11 but still . . .
Now Skandery, are you telling lurker and Pop that Michael Finley is not an HONEST-TO-GOODNESS shooting guard?  Because lurker and Pop tell me he is.  And Pops won 4 titles, you know. 
And Ted of course i was not trying to bait Skandery, i just voted for his post as "post of the year".  I am a bit scared that both of you thought a Fabs n Fin deal for Boozer might be a go. 

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 01:13:26 AM »
Millsap -- 18 and 12 tonight in a Jazz romp. 

Boozer who??
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:51 AM »
Jem no way Korver is not a 2 guard?!?

The comment was in regards to Utah needing a shooter. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
Jem no way Korver is not a 2 guard?!?

The comment was in regards to Utah needing a shooter. 

Korver isn't a 2 guard and korver isn't a starter in the NBA - remember, he was a sixer before he was a jazz player and the sixers traded him to create cap room for what might have been a mistake :)

In my personal opinion he's a very very good bench player, great 3 point shooter, but he has issues regarding quickness and lateral movement that expose him defensively, he often picks up the 'reach back' foul after someone beats him off the dribble.  The sixers did try him as a starter for a time, and it wasn't really something you want to see on a team contending for a title...he's an excellent bench guy for a championship team, but as a starter (or a 2 guard in my opinion) it's just not there.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »
. . . all what jem said PLUS he can't dribble.  You're 2-guard needs to know how to dribble.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
Actually - he has improved with the dribble since when he first entered the league - he couldn't score at all off the dribble basically his first couple years in the league - but he did improve over time in Philadelphia.

He always seemed to 'get better' at something year over year to me - it was a shame that that trait didn't rub off on other guys i always felt (yeah you you over paid hatian sensation)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
You guys think all the Jazz are missing is a 2-guard?

I thought you wanted a shooter, again, that is why I asked why Kyle Korver wasn't enough.   Not because I thought we were speaking ONLY about the 2 guard position.

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
Kyle Korver is enough if you want a shooter off the bench - if you want a shooter who can start - at any position - kyle korver isn't it.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
I would be interested to see Michael Redd in a Jazz uniform.  How sweet would that be?

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
We were talking about him in a sixers uniform just the other day before the brand (1 month my arse) injury

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
We were talking about him in a sixers uniform just the other day before the brand (1 month my arse) injury

Maybe you didn't get the memo but players who move to the western conference are automatically better just by switching time zones. 

Oh yea, that was sarcastic.