Author Topic: No Mo  (Read 9303 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
No Mo
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »
I appreciate all he has done as a Sixer and wish him well.  Thought he was the right coach for last year's team.

Might be a good fit for the OKC job.  Maybe someday he will return as an assistant...

In some ways Mo is taking the fall for Ed, but he still shouldn't be the coach.  Hope DiLeo is as good at developing talent as he is identifying it.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: No Mo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »
*Does the happy dance*

Assistant GM is an odd choice, but I guess if they had nobody else, why not.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »
DiLeo actually has a hx of coaching and a decent (non-NBA) resume.  He might surprise you.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
DiLeo actually has a hx of coaching and a decent (non-NBA) resume.  He might surprise you.

After reading this, I decided to see what I could find.

DiLeo has extensive experience in international basketball, both as a player and coach. He played and coached in West Germany for 10 seasons before joining the Sixers staff for the 1990-91 season. He coached the West German men?s and women?s teams from 1979-90, winning nine national titles in the country?s top division. DiLeo was selected as the West German federation National Coach (1981-85) and the country?s coach of the year in 1987.

So, uh, I guess he's better than nothing?  He can't be worse than Cheeks.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
Saw it coming.  Didn't expect DiLeo to take over. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
BK/Cheeks were a continuation of the Larry Brown Era... which is now ended.

We will no longer Play the Right way or go home to smell are kids.  Offense will no longer be the ugly stepchild of good defense.  No more trying to fit a bunch of players around stars who do not have a true position... or at least we can hope.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
by that logic, how is DiLeo not a continuation of the era?

I like DiLeo.  In fact, that's why I'm not sure I want him as the coach.  I'm not too comfortable taking him out of the role he's had long term.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »
I got a text alert while i was at costco on my iphone - tried not to do a happy dance - when i saw dileo here was my instinctive immediate thought.

DiLeo is the Assistant Gm / Head scout - he probably has little to NO head coaching aspirations...he therefore isn't coaching to 'get the job' but to do what's best for the long term health of the sixers - this to me means that Ed has one (or multiple) name(s) in mind for who will be the head coach and he doesn't want to muddy the waters if somehow this team ends up in the playoffs (as a low seed like last season with a sub 500 record). 

Obviously this is all assumption by me - and I could be totally completely wrong - but to me it makes sense that it's part of Stefanskis bigger plan...plus as written last week, none of the sixer assistants really are that much better than Mo.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
BTW - SAS on ESPN News talking that Eddie Jordan will take over the team - after the season - which while it's SAS and probably baseless speculatoiin makes sense to me for another reason why DiLeo gets the nod

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
That was my reaction before seeing his previous coaching before becoming a scout.  I don't think he really has aspirations to fail, and if he has success, someone may look at him as a head coach down the road.

Besides, I'd prefer not to throw out this season.  I don't think we've made the moves to be a contender, but I do think we have solid playoff-level talent.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »
I can't understand why Jordan would not just take over now.  Could he have some kind of clause in his contract buy out where the Sixers would have to send compensation?  Seems like a long time to wait if you know your guy and he's not under contract.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
I can't understand why Jordan would not just take over now.  Could he have some kind of clause in his contract buy out where the Sixers would have to send compensation?  Seems like a long time to wait if you know your guy and he's not under contract.

Does he stop getting his wizards money if he takes the job?  Does anyone know a precedent for a fired coach taking another head coaching job in the same season he was fired.

Additionally - I think Jordan deserves a clean slate as well - a training camp and a 0-0 record.  Can you introduce a new system mid season like that - might it be unfair to Jordan because of the mid season and high expectation thigns - the average fan would expect an immediate turnaround whereas it might not be possible due to Jordan having to learn the players ins and outs and quirks that you can't get without coaching and the players need to learn the system?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »
If Jordan is the coach, then why wait - unless he loses his Wizards salary or we have to give the Wiz compensation (but why would we have to do that?  They FIRED him....).

He would have two months until the deadline to see what he has...start installing his system and see who "gets it"...and then make the moves that we need to make (Miller, Sammy, etc...)

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
If Jordan is the coach, then why wait - unless he loses his Wizards salary or we have to give the Wiz compensation (but why would we have to do that?  They FIRED him....).

He would have two months until the deadline to see what he has...start installing his system and see who "gets it"...and then make the moves that we need to make (Miller, Sammy, etc...)

Because he doesn't get a training campe to install his system and he has fans who will expect an immediate turn around and they are just not going to get it with any head coach.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »
Commonly, coaching contracts call for a dollar for dollar reduction in payments due by the team that fired you if you take another coaching job elsewhere, hence why you see guys head off into broadcasting to keep earning their full coaching pay.  The reduction may be limited to other head caoching jobs in the league or be broad enough to cover any assistant or major college job.  It all depends on how much leverage you have when you negotiate the deal initially.  Still, I don't see why Eddie Jordan would wait til next year if he really wanted to get back in the league.  There is no guarantee the job will still be there in the summer.

DiLeo is an interesting choice, I thought for sure we would get Chris Ford.