Author Topic: The Cardinals accept the Padres gifts again  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The Cardinals accept the Padres gifts again
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:13:19 AM »
Khalil Green for who? :D :D

Wolfie are you going to get off your anchor pedastool and weigh in on this one?  Skandy, *JOE*?
Good grief the Pads suck. I hope Greenes bat revitalizes to All Star form.  What better place to do it then in St Lowie.

jemagee

Re: The Cardinals accept the Padres gifts again
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
Khalil Green all star?

He's the reincarnatioin of David Eckstein (and no, that's not a good thing)...this is a trade of little to no significance

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:25:11 AM »
I'm with jemagee.  It's a trade of no significance.  IT'S BASEBALL, for crying out loud.

What's next?  A trade in jai alai?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I'm with jemagee.  It's a trade of no significance.  IT'S BASEBALL, for crying out loud.
What's next?  A trade in jai alai?

Well see, has nothing to do with the fact that it's baseball but has to do with the fact that the 'player' involved just isn't that good...and the padres seem to be trying to drop their payroll to 40 million (or below)...it'll be interesting to see what they get for Peavy since they passed on their best offer probably.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
.599 OPS.  What a gift.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »
.599 OPS.  What a gift.
See stats for Woodie Williams pre Cardinal post Padre. 
Ditto World Series MVP Jeff Weaver Angels/Cardinals.

Besides, 27 bombs and 97 RBI in 2007 for one of baseball losingest teams (managmentwise, not just W and Ls) is a major feat.
Great defense.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »

Besides, 27 bombs and 97 RBI in 2007 for one of baseball losingest teams (managmentwise, not just W and Ls) is a major feat.
Great defense.

It's amazing, you have the truly, most ironical screen names on all the interwebs.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
.599 OPS.  What a gift.

Great defense.

Woody Williams stunk as a cardinal too.  He just had one year he played over his head.  It happens to many players.

Weaver stank his year with the cardinals, over 5.0 ERA.  If your argument is the Cardinals can take crap and make them gold, then it doesn't matter who they acquire.

27 home runs and 97 rbi while having an OBP of less than .300.

As my favorite overweight, underproductive PF used to say:
whoopty-damn-do

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

You know, sometimes I think it's amazing we're friends at all.

As for the trade, I'd be shocked if this were anything more than a one-year rental.  He'll play good D, no doubt, but he's not going to do much offensively.  His career OBP is .304, and that's awful.  He's a free agent after 2009, and I don't think we'll re-sign him.

Derek's right about Woody Williams.  He was really good one year, and slipped into mediocrity the next.  Weaver wasn't good during the regular season in 2006, but was lights out in the playoffs.  Carp, Soup, Reyes and Weaver carried us to the title in '06.  That's probably to what Reality was referring.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »
Khalil Greene doesn't matter.  It is actually good news, now they can move on and find a better alternative.

Real news would be if they trades Peavy to the Cubs.

Peavy
Harden
Zambrano
Dempster
Lilly

Soto the ROY as their catcher

Hill and Marquis as tradeable commodities to get a lefty bat.

That would be a WOW.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »
Peavys definitely going somewhere - and the fans who get him will be disappointed with his performance compared to what they expect i'm willing to bet

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 07:53:23 PM »
Peavys definitely going somewhere - and the fans who get him will be disappointed with his performance compared to what they expect i'm willing to bet

Based on?

His road splits last year were a little worrisome, but his road splits for his career are still solid (3.8 ERA, 1.3 WHIP, .246 oba).

It's also not a guarantee that his road splits directly correlate into his expected performance.  While playing in a pitchers park helps, pitchers also generally perform worse on the road than at home, so I would expect a mid-3's ERA wherever he goes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:54:55 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »
.599 OPS.  What a gift.

Great defense.

Woody Williams stunk as a cardinal too.  He just had one year he played over his head.  It happens to many players.

Weaver stank his year with the cardinals, over 5.0 ERA.  If your argument is the Cardinals can take crap and make them gold, then it doesn't matter who they acquire.

27 home runs and 97 rbi while having an OBP of less than .300.

As my favorite overweight, underproductive PF used to say:
whoopty-damn-do

Derek's right about Woody Williams.  He was really good one year, and slipped into mediocrity the next.
2001 7-1 2.28 ERA
2002 9-4 2.53
2004 18-9 3.87
2006 12-5 3.65

Wolfie
Weaver wasn't good during the regular season in 2006, but was lights out in the playoffs.  Carp, Soup, Reyes and Weaver carried us to the title in '06.  That's probably to what Reality was referring.
  Actually Weaver was not to shabby in the Cards stretch run before being lights out MVP of the Series.  Yes, i think Greene can play a role.  If its for one year, so be it.  You guys beat his OBP to death, lighten up.

ziggy
  As far as Jeff Weaver, I think was a very deft move by the Cards.  Their rotation was a little weak, but Weaver is a solid pitcher.  He is having a bad year, but he has is getting better and better all the time.  If they can get a couple decent post season starts from him the Cards will push the Mets very hard. 

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »

Jemagee, I have to be honest and say you seem to be contradictory here.  I am not trying to put words in your mouth  ;), so if I am wrong please correct my perception.

You stated a couple months ago that you had issues with the voting on the Cy Young award, as it just seemed to always go to the pitcher with the most wins, not the best pitcher.

Well in regards to Peavy, he is not a pitcher who seems to have success in terms of wins and losses, but he has great peripherals, indicating he is a dominate pitcher with a certain amount of bad luck.

Yet you seem to be down on Peavy, and believe he is not all that he is perceived to be.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
I think people tend to forget the type of park peavy pitches in -