Author Topic: Sixers @ Bulls - Dec 2 2008  (Read 19252 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Sixers @ Bulls - Dec 2 2008
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »
)...yes but not really a pro ball team to me except when they have a true super star AND are a contender

I don't know how to gauge this given they had a "true suoperstar" for about 30 consecutive years until AI left.

They were near the league leaders in attendance in the early AI years and the prime of Charles and Dr.J.  They don't draw when those teams were in decline.  I know some cities sell out regardless, but I view Sixer attendance much like Phillies attendance.  very fair weather. 

Of course there are a lot more passionate Phillies fans than Sixer fans, but the Phillies had there struggles at the gate whne they played at the Vet.

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 02:34:09 PM »
Barkley was considered a 'true superstar' by the average fan in my opinion.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Barkley was considered a 'true superstar' by the average fan in my opinion.

I think you misread me.  Yes, that is why I said they had a true superstar for nearly 30 consecutive years:

Dr.J->Charles->AI

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
You're right I did misread - sorry - i'm on my 3rd coffee of the morning and can still barely keep my eyes open - dreary weather just doesn't help.

I wonder if sixers fans actually NEED a superstar and they are forcing Iguodala into that role, which is an unrealistic expectation to have of him, ever, which may be leading to a backlash that I find unreasonable personally based on the fact that the team is a mess in so many areas...or maybe I'm just too 'pro' iguodala

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »
So, can anybody, without looking, name the 3 Sixers who currently are better than a 15 PER?  Extra points if you can get them in order.

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Mareese Speights
Thaddeus Young
Royal Ivey

?

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
It's actually four - and one of them is obscene :)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
Who's the fourth?  He probably didn't qualify and I don't feel like looking it up.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »
Marshall?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »
Oh XD.  That's awesome.  Can we officially murder Reggie Evans now for taking away minutes from such a stud?  For those wondering, it's:

Marshall (but doesn't qualify due to lack of minutes)
Speights
Miller
Brand

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »
Marhsalls per is 37 :)

BTW  another 'interesting' statistic, Willie Greens PPS is above Lou WIlliams, and Lous is below 1, I knew lou was bad this year but holy crap bad

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Can we officially murder Reggie Evans now for taking away minutes from such a stud?  For those wondering, it's:

Evans doesn't decide who plays

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
You're right I did misread - sorry - i'm on my 3rd coffee of the morning and can still barely keep my eyes open - dreary weather just doesn't help.

I wonder if sixers fans actually NEED a superstar and they are forcing Iguodala into that role, which is an unrealistic expectation to have of him, ever, which may be leading to a backlash that I find unreasonable personally based on the fact that the team is a mess in so many areas...or maybe I'm just too 'pro' iguodala

Can't tell by that run-on,stream of consciousness statement whether you need a cup of coffee, or had one too many.  Not that I'm doing much better.

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 03:08:39 PM »
Well I had the thought while I was writing it.

I wonder if the 'super star' need that exists within sixers fans has led to a bigger backlash against Iguodala then if Iverson were here or even Weber still (not that he's in the league, but for example).  Brand while a big name really never has been considered a superstar by the main stream (and that might just be because of playing in Clipper land), but with the new contract Iguodala seems to have been 'anointed' superstar by the average fan.  And his game just isn't conducive to what is considered 'superstar' output.

Or it could just be the tendency I see of fans to over expect from a guy who gets a pay raise to perform at levels far exceeding what he's performed at so far in his career.  Ryan Howard suffered the same thing last year, Pat Burrell and Bobby Abreu always suffered it.  Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley seem more immune to it but maybe that's because they're 'gritty'

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »
I think its more that 95% of Philly fans are ignoring the Sixers.  The remaining vocal minority are going to target their fury at someone... So why not at the guy who just suigned the 80M contract and has yet to prove anything.

Mo, Miller and Lou probably are as much or more to blame, but its easier to target things at Iguodala.