Author Topic: Sixers @ Bulls - Dec 2 2008  (Read 18149 times)

jemagee

Sixers @ Bulls - Dec 2 2008
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »
Is tonight Mo's last stand?

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081202/SPORTS03/812020360/1002/SPORTS

"Sixers president and general manager Ed Stefanski wouldn't comment Monday, saying he planned to answer questions about the team Wednesday. But Stefanski can't be happy after watching the team he built during the offseason suffer its second straight lopsided defeat."

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers @ Bulls - Dec 2 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
Hopefully Reggie's family matter keeps him out of the game tonight. 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
Too much to ask Mo to keep reggie out of the game tonight except if grave necessity crops up

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
A number of articles have subtly hinted that the two-game set with the Bulls was important for the team, and reading between the lines it sounded like it was critical for Mo.  He may not get canned immediately if they get beat tonight, but it may well be a final nail in his coffin.  A move would be more likely after Saturday's game which will be the end of a 4 in 5 stretch, with three off-days following.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »
Agreed.  I was thinking that they needed to go at least 3-2 in these games (with a better overall level of play) to buy some time...but if they finish this stretch with a record of 9-13 or 10-14, I think that Mo could be toast.

It's not so much the record as much as it is what is happening on the court...a truly alarming lack of focus - from both the players and coaches.  While I am reasonably sure that Stefanski did not expect a trip to the Finals this season, I am sure that he at least expected a season of growth...not the regression that we are seeing.  If fans like us are picking up basic stuff (like going away from Thad when he is the most effective player on the floor or completely pissing away Lou's potential impact on the team), then you know that it has to be eating Eddie up.

Like jem said in another thread, Stefanski's silence speakes volumes.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:16:03 PM »
It's not so much the record as much as it is what is happening on the court

Here's where I agree, again, I don't care so much about winning and losing game by game but how they look - and they look a mess - and in desperate need of some coaching guidance

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »
I think the fact that the team looks a total mess and Dalmbert's comments about them not having the same fire they did at the end of last year are two concepts that dove-tail beautifully.  They never looked good last year until inserting some talented, athletic youngsters with fresh legs into the line-up and playing all-out all of the time made them look good when they could over-power teams with pressure defense and turnover triggered fast breaks.  That kind of run and energy simply can't be sustained long term, especially when teams know what is coming and it's not the last third of the season when other teams are not tired and/or mailing it in.  Take away that huge effort/energy advantage and last year's team would have been lucky to win 30 games with its level of talent, experience and execution.

This year's team has more talent and more experience, but there is no energy advantage at this time of the year to mask the piss-poor execution.  In fact, now that we have some more skilled players, the generally disorganized scrum that we call our offense looks particularly putrid given how unbelievably bad it has made some pretty good offensive players look.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
So - if they don't win tonight - i'm not sure they are going to win much the next few games

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
I actually would be shocked to see Mo fired this soon.  Not saying he shouldn't be, nor do I disagree with what has been posted here.

I expect Ed to state he is not pleased and lay out some specific things he expects to see cleaned up.  It will start the Mo countdown and ideally light a fire under these guys- but I don't expecyt a move this soon.  I do expect that Ed will be working the phones, becasue much of what he will say will just be an attempt to placate the fans and buy him a bit of time.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59:38 PM »
They will pull off one upset, they always do, but if they don't win tonight one upset will not be enough to save Mo's butt.  I hate being so hard on the guy, he is a class act and one of my favorite former players, but he is just capable of the level and kind of coaching this team needs.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
It helps ed that the sixers aren't that big of a deal in philadelphia and that football season is still going and that the phillies are making mistakes (moves?) that the fans can focus on.

Flyers season helps too

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:05:21 PM »
It helps ed that the sixers aren't that big of a deal in philadelphia and that football season is still going and that the phillies are making mistakes (moves?) that the fans can focus on.

Flyers season helps too

On the flip side, I think they were banking on this team generating some interest and better gate numbers.  With there upgraded roster and easy schedule, they had a chance to build some positive buzz around the team.

As it stands now, they will have a hard time improving their attendance until the playoffs near.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »
Unless they miss the playoffs precipitously - don't forget the 'marbury gone affect' helps out the knicks (hey don't ask me how it works it just works) be better this year - they look legit at least in the regular season as a playoff contender that no one considered this year - people thought the hawks wouldn't be as good but when healthy they seem good.

There's only so much buzz you can generate for a team after the phillies win the world series, the eagles have controversy the flyers play games (cause that's all they really need to do) and the economy goes in the crapper.  Limited entertainment dollars get more limited and the sixers are just the least 'followed' franchise of the four.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »
I think if this team opened up 13/4 (their schedule was really easy) there would be buzz around the team and many more people in the arena.  This team did garner decent fan support when they put out a good, up and coming team.  On the flip side, when the team is lousy or on the way down they become an afterthought.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »
I don't know - I think if a town doesn't sell out for PLAYOFF games - I question the 'deepeness' of it being a basketball town - a college basketball town (even if they do include Villanova incorrectly in philly ball, god i hate that)...yes but not really a pro ball team to me except when they have a true super star AND are a contender