Author Topic: Grace period for the Phillies is over  (Read 22416 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Grace period for the Phillies is over
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »
Four Years older
worse defensively
worse offensively
and a left handed bat added to a left handed heavy lineup already

AND it cost us a first round pick.

So, our options:
- sign Burrell for 1 year, 16 million arb.
- Lose Burrell and get 2 draft picks
- Sign Ibanez for 3/30 and lose a pick.

Yup, we got the worst out of the 3.

jemagee

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
Both are slow and have weak range in the outfield, Ibanez arm is embarassingly weak compared to Burrells, Pat still has a strong arm.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »
The Phillies did not want to pay Pat Burrell 1/16.

The Phillies did not want to pay Pat Burrell 3/30.

The Phillies did not want Pat Burrell.

Period.

You don't like that?  I got it.  I don't know if I agree with the decision, either...but I do undersand their thinking.  I was WAY tired of his two-month disappearing act every season.  They obviously think that Ibanez will be a more consistent offensive player, and based on their respective histories, that is not an unreasonable thought.

We'll just have to see what happens.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2008, 01:27:51 PM »
I was WAY tired of his two-month disappearing act every season

So does that mean Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins are all leaving too?

jemagee

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2008, 01:30:21 PM »
Of course not - they're gritty and or scrappy

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
dabods:

When Utley, Rollins or Howard does it for 2-3 years in a row, then you can make that comparison.

Nice...two MVP's and arguably our best player...and you want to compare Burrell's annual disappearing act to them?

Whatever.

I understand that you and jem don't like the move.  I'm not sure that I am in love with it either...I probably would have found a way to keep Burrell (even though 1/16 is so out of whack with the current market environment I have no problem with their decision to not offer him arbitration...since he would have almost definitely accepted it and we would have seen no draft picks).

They like Ibanez.

We'll see if the move works out.

jemagee

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
You know what - this is pointless - you can't be swayed by facts or history or the truth

3 years 30 million dollars PLUS 2 draft picks for a team with a shallow not very good farm system (sorry all you 'great farm system folks' it's just not that good - look beyond the propaganda to the impartial sources) for a left handed hitter benefitting from playing in Safeco (which is beneficially to left handed hitters, there ar enumbers to back this up, and no CPB isn't a 'home friendly' park as much as it used to be)

OR

16 million dollars for one and KEEP your draft picks and have a more balanced batting order.

This doesn't even get into the fact that not offering arbitration was a mistake and the phillies obviously misjudged the market if it took 30 million to get raul ibanez.

But hey - believe what you want to believe - but don't wanna see you not cheering ibanez next year with his weak bat and noodle arm.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
When Utley, Rollins or Howard does it for 2-3 years in a row, then you can make that comparison.

They do.
In the first two months of 2006, Rollins hit .250 with 5 HR, 15 RBI, .309 OBP and .695 OPS in 212 at bats.  That's over a 3rd of the season.
The previous year he started off the year hitting .260 with 4 HR, .311 OBP and .675 OPS in the first 219 at bats.
The year before that?  .241 with 1 HR, .290 OBP and .610 in 178 at bats in his first two months.

We all know about Howard's slumps in April, May and June this year.
He did the same thing in 2007.  He batted .222 through May that year.

That's 2 out of his 3 years he's been in the majors full time.

Nice...two MVP's and arguably our best player...and you want to compare Burrell's annual disappearing act to them?

Whatever.

Nope.  Just pointing out that ALL baseball players go through prolonged slumps.  With Rollins and Howard, it's an annual event as well, just as with Burrell.

Yet, at the end of the year, Burrell has his .890 OPS and 30 home runs.  His last 4 years have been amazingly consistent in that regard.

Just a shame he's not appreciated more for it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:10:00 PM by Derek Bodner »

jemagee

« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2008, 02:10:03 PM »
Just a shame he's not appreciated more for it.

And that's why it baffled me every time he refused to be traded to a team that wanted him and a more (i mean can't be less) forgiving and understanding fan base...he wanted to be in Philadlephia and the fans never appreciated him, nor did they appreciate abreu...maybe next year when pat outplays ibanez (assuming health equal) they'll appreciate it - or more likely they'll comment about how he was slacking in phildelphia

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
I don't know.  It's not that easy to say Phillies fans killed Pat.  They were amazingly supportive of him at first, turned on him after his .209 season and rode him for a few years, but the last 2 years I think they've been fairly supportive.  Not appreciative enough, but not hard on him either.

jemagee

« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »
Chan Ho Park signed, quotes indicate he thinks he's being given a shot to start.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
Now THIS deal...I say yuck.

$2.5 million?

We got Durbin last year for $900K...and he turned out to be amazing value.  I don't see the value here - unless we are trading Happ for an upgrade somewhere else.  All this tells me is that they are prepared to play hardball with Moyer, and if Park is the fallback...

Erk.

jemagee

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »
I'm sorry, but if Park is even given the impression that he could be a starter it's a failure on so many levels, money aside...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
WIP reporting Moyer has been signed to a 2 year deal.  Haven't released numbers.  It had better be for little guaranteed next year of Rube's batting .000 in my book.

jemagee

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
WIP reporting Moyer has been signed to a 2 year deal.  Haven't released numbers.  It had better be for little guaranteed next year of Rube's batting .000 in my book.

Seriously - WTF was the point of not offering arbitration to anyone?  I"s confused