Author Topic: Grace period for the Phillies is over  (Read 22418 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Grace period for the Phillies is over
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
jem:

So I assume you now agree that Amaro made the right move in not offering Burrell arbitration, as:

1) $15-16 million for one year would have been WILDLY above his market value, and;

2) There was NO WAY that the Phillies were going to see any draft picks...

It's OK, bro...I appreciate your acknowledgement that I was right all along.

;D

Nope.  I'd rather overpay Burrell on a 1 year deal than be paying a 38 and 39 year old Ibanez $20 million.

They didn't offer Burrell arbitration not because they were worried he'd be 4-5 million overpaid if he'd accepted, but because they drastically undervalued Burrell's value to the team and had no interest in bringing him back.

I'm not sure how you can spin otherwise.

And it's a damned shame.

A 1 year contract is virtually no risk.  Pat Gillick understood this.  Wish Ruben did as well.

But hey, we got to lose a draft pick and commit $20 million to an inferior left fielder who will be 38 and 39 years old.  But god, thank god they didn't overpay Burrell by 4 million.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:28:58 PM by Derek Bodner »

jemagee

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2008, 09:51:38 PM »
I assumed the smile was bebop being sarcastic - which is why I wrote what I wrote - i felt it didn't need a rebuttal - and if it was a serious comment it wasn't worth a rebuttal because obviously the poster will buy any nonsense the phillies feed him

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2008, 10:06:36 PM »
dabods:

Tell you what - if Burrell gets a $12 million/year contract, I will give you $100.

If Burrell gets $11 million or less you give me $20.

Deal?

You guys are killing me.  Aside from the simple fact that the Phillies did not want Burrell back, they figured - rightfully - that the number that they would have had to give Burrell in arbitration would be so high (relative to market value) that there was NO WAY that they were going to see draft picks if they offered him arbitration.

They didn't want him back...at any price.

They didn't want to give him $15-16 million in arbitration.

They weren't going to get draft picks had they offered arbitration.

You guys don't like Ibanez.  You don't like his age.  You don't like his left-handed-ness...or his defense...or the way he smells.

Whatever.

Again - I would have liked to see Burrell back...but I have no problem with them moving on...and given the current state of the market, I completely understand not paying the guy $16 mil.

I've had it with your position that I am some kind of idiot or Phillies nut-hugger because I agree with them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:16:14 PM by bebopdeluxe »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »
Tell you what - if Burrell gets a $12 million/year contract, I will give you $100.

If Burrell gets $11 million or less you give me $20.

Deal?

What does this have to do with anything being discussed?

I don't think anyone's saying Burrell's going to get more than $15 million per on the free agent market.  I think where the disagreement comes in is whether the Phillies would be better off with Burrell (even at $15 million) or on paying Ibanez $20 million at 38 and 39 years old.

You guys are killing me.  Aside from the simple fact that the Phillies did not want Burrell back, they figured - rightfully - that the number that they would have had to give Burrell in arbitration would be so high (relative to market value) that there was NO WAY that they were going to see draft picks if they offered him arbitration.

Two things, which I've said here numerous times, which seems to be the theme of this thread (repeating ourselves):
- The Phillies not wanting Burrell back under any circumstance is one of my problems, so I'm not sure why you can say "aside from that fact".  That's one of my primary arguments.
- Offering arbitration does not just bring up the possibility of draft picks.  It also inhibits other teams willingness to make an offer, thus decreasing the commitment you'd have to make to talk Burrell into a multi-year deal.  It's been reported that Burrell would have taken LESS than Ibanez accepted.

It's just a damn shame how little they value Burrell and why they would rather give up a draft pick and pay Ibanez $20 million in his 38 and 39 year old seasons than give Burrell a 1 year deal.

You seem to like to come up with hypotheticals, so here's mine.
Of these three situations, I'd rather:
1) Burrell signed to a 3 year, $30 million deal
2) Burrell accepting a 1 year, $15 million arbitration
3) Ibanez on a 3 year, $30 million deal.

It appears that the Phillies best-case scenario was #3.  To me, that was the worst case scenario.  Significantly.  I'm much more concerned about the $20 million owed to Ibanez in his 38 and 39 year old seasons than I would be slightly overpaying Burrell in his 33 year old season.

You seem so extremely caught up on that extra few million while overlooking how overpaid the ancient Ibanez will be at that time.  I think not offering Burrell arb was a mistake.  I think taking Ibanez at 3 years/30 million rather than Burrell (either to a similar contract or to arb) is more damning.  I don't know why they're getting a pass from you on this.

You keep bringing up market value, if Burrell isn't worth $11-$12 million, why is Ibanez?  Did the Phillies overpay for him?

I've had it with your position that I am some kind of idiot or Phillies nut-hugger because I agree with them.

Um...ok.

Nobody's said that.  I've said I didn't like the decision since the beginning, since before you debated it.  But whatever.  If you want to go all persecution complex, feel free.

I'm sorry I can't state my disagreement.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:03:16 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2008, 12:42:04 AM »
dabods:

That last comment was directed at jem...and my buying "any nonsense that the Phillies feed" me.

I agree that Burrell would have taken less than Ibanez was offered, in part because that is starting to look like where the market is for him.  The Phillies didn't want him.

And all of the talk about arbitration doesn't matter - again, because the Phillies didn't want him anymore...and anything that would have forced them to pay him $15+ million next season wasn't going to happen - draft picks or no draft picks.

To be completely honest, I know very little about Ibanez.  Looks like a good hitter.  Doesn't get hurt - he played all 162 last season at the age of 36, and over the past four years he's played 162 twice and 159 once.  Serious run producer.  Quality guy.

I don't agree with you that Pat had gotten short shrift in this town - I think for the most part people had moved past that .209 season and appreciated who he was - a guy with limited athletic ability who played his hardest and over the course of a season, a guy who put up numbers.  My guess is that the Phillies simply got tired of his annual two-month funks (and while guys like Rollins, Utley and Howard have done that at times over the course of their careers, you are also talking about guys who have won MVP's and guys - like Rollins and Utley - who can still help the team even when they are not hitting the ball...unlike Burrell), and wanted a guy who would be more consistent at the plate.

The only point where I would agree with jem is whether they needed to sign Ibanez when they did...or whether they could have gotten him for even less had they waited.  That is certainly a fair point.  I guess that he was their #1 option, and they didn't want to take the risk that somebody else (like the Angels) would grab him before they did.

I don't know what they are going to get out of him in the 3rd year of his deal, when he turns 39 in the middle of the season.  That is also a fair point.  Based on what he did last season, there is no reason to believe that age is catching up with him in a big way.  We will just have to wait and see what happens.  As I have consistently said, I would have preferred that they would have given Burrell 3/30, but I don't have a huge problem with the team thinking that they could upgrade the position.  Looking at Ibanez' numbers (and projecting what those numbers will translate to at CBP), and thinking about what we have been getting (over the course of every season) from Burrell, I don't see this move as being as horrible a move as you do.

And now I am REALLY done with this.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »
Find me one outfielder (outside of Barry Bonds) in the last 20 years who has remained productive at 38 and 39.

Age very well may not be catching up to Ibanez, but history is not on his side.  He would have to seriously buck the trend to remain productive relative to what he's getting paid.

jemagee

« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »
Oh - so you were serious - and missed the point

Then I'll make it clear - while most teams are smartly playing the field and letting the free agents come to them the phillies went out and over paid a 36 year old type A free agent for 3 years...giving up too much money AND draft picks.

You still think it's about Pat Burrell, but it's not, it's about the way the phillies are running their business in a more global manner...if you can't see the big picture flaws evidenced in that article, then you are buying the phillies nonsense, and Ii am done with this as well...

jemagee

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
Bill Conlin knows better than Ryan Howard

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20081223_Bill_Conlin__Howard_offers_Classic_excuse_to_skip_World_Baseball_play.html

PS - anyone who thinks the United States is the best baseball playing nation in the world has been living in a bubble for a while now...