Author Topic: OT- Building your own Desktop  (Read 8684 times)

jemagee

OT- Building your own Desktop
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »
So i've read in the past from various sources that building your own desktop by buying the requisite components is probably a more affordable way to build a better computer, if you have the know how to put the parts together.

So I'm curios, as many on here seem to be IT folks, or in the computer arena, as to if that's an accurate description, and how hard is it really to build your own desktop, including setting up hard drives and installing an operating system (regardless of if you go linux or windows or whatever)

I've been considering looking into it myself and thought some people here could point me in the right direction or tell me if it's a waste of time?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: OT- Building your own Desktop
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »
I wouldn't say you're going to save oodles of money.  That was true 5-10 years ago, but nowadays there are budget desktops available from so many reputable places that you can really get great deals online, especially if you don't already own a non-OEM windows license (and aren't using a free operating system).

What you really gain, other than some technical experience, is the ability to customize exactly what goes into computer.  What motherboard you want, what (and how many) video cards you want.  How many pci-e slots you need, what cooling options you want, how many hard drives and in what raid configuration (if necessary), how many ram slots the mobo has and what the max capacity is, etc. 

Building a computers great.  I've done it in the past and will continue to do it in the future.  And it has its benefits, but in just straight savings you're probably not going to get all that much, unless you build a top of the line rig.  But if you just essentially build a budget PC, you can probably get a comparable budget pc elsewhere.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »
Well, see that's the thing, I wouldn't want to build a budget PC - budget PCs to me aren't any better than the inspiron laptop i'm working on now - i would want to build a rather robust desktop to do the things i currently only do on macs cause the macs i get from work have more 'firepower' than my laptop.

So based on what you said and what I'd want it to do - it seems like it might be worth it to look into building my own?

Sadly while I've heard of most of the things you mentioned some of them are just not things i ever learned about (like raid configurations) or slave/master  relatoinships, or partitioning hard drives, things are so much easier on macs sometimes, but the higher end machines are just WAY expensive

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »
depends on what you consider robust.

if it's just ram, then it might still be cheaper just to buy from a retailer and put more ram in it.  Even adding a video card later, if the motherboard has the appropriate slots, might not save you enough $ to be worth the aggravation.

if it's getting two quad core CPU's, then you'll probably want to build your own.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »
if it's getting two quad core CPU's, then you'll probably want to build your own.

I think that's what I want to do - but i might be wrong - doesn't upping the ram only help so much if you're going with a 'budget' machine due to the limitations of the processor you're working with (though it's more about other things aside from the MhZ - like the back side cache, i think, isn't it?)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:39:06 AM »
Jem do you want to build the machine just for the experience and knowledge?  Or is there a specific application or game that requires a lot of power from your pc?  Sometimes people think they need more bang from their PC but in reality could get by with a newer, middle of the road PC.  My uncle loves to buy a "top of the line" PC every few years but mainly uses it to check email and browse news sites.  SOMETIMES he plays PC games but it is very rare.

Like DB said you can add more memory or buy another video card.  Even after buying those for one of those cheap, pre-built PCs you come out on top.  You also have to realize that you need to not only buy the hardware but Microsoft Windows.  I never recommend for people to get "bootlegs" of XP because those tend to keep you from downloading Windows Updates (unless you know the work around, which most users do not) 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »
newegg.com for ram at great price.  I would suggest heading out to a best buy, and looking at the PC's they move off to the side, you can score a great price for a good computer when they start making room for newer units.  easily 500.00 or so for a well made ready to go comp. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »
The computer would have to run things like photoshop illustrator and possibly indesign all at once...things my 1 GhZ g5 doesn't even do fast enough to my liking

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
www.slickdeals.net  I've bought about 3 or 4 pc's and about 4 laptops from this site, you have to keep an eye on it cause sometimes hot deals from Dell and HP only last a few hours and sometimes only a few minutes.

www.gottadeal.com  I've bought one 1 laptop from this site and one of those small 9' laptop-lite.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »
The computer would have to run things like photoshop illustrator and possibly indesign all at once...things my 1 GhZ g5 doesn't even do fast enough to my liking

Getting a middle of the road PC right now would help you out big time.  Say an Intel Duo Core 2 processor in one of those pre-built pcs and go splurge on some memory.   You can find those for cheap, you don't have to spend all the time piecing it together, and installing the software.

Honestly I am almost to the point where I don't want to build my own PCs anyone either.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »
Is crucial still the best place for memory?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »

Or Kingston, depends who you ask.  I've never had many problems with either.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »

go to newegg.com for memory, very cheap on that site.  buying a prebuilt computer is becoming very inexpensive now.  Like I said, you can walk into an electronics store and see the "older" models and find a great deal.  even these will have dual core pentium or amd 64 athlon x2 processors, some even have 3 gigs of mem already added. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »

go to newegg.com for memory, very cheap on that site.  buying a prebuilt computer is becoming very inexpensive now.  Like I said, you can walk into an electronics store and see the "older" models and find a great deal.  even these will have dual core pentium or amd 64 athlon x2 processors, some even have 3 gigs of mem already added. 

Exactly.  The dual core processors are more than enough power for MOST users.  I kind of cringe when a co-worker or friend of the family tells me how they bought a quad core when I know they don't do much on it.

Illustrator and Indesign is a bit more intense resource wise but as long as you beef up on Mem, like 4 gigs worth if the board will support it, and you will be fine Jem.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Thanks all for your help and suggestions - now I can plan for this (of course then i'd have to convince work i need adobe CS4 on a PC - but one step at a time ;)