Author Topic: Magic @ SIxers - Pre Thanksgiving - on ESPN  (Read 4774 times)

jemagee

Re: Magic @ SIxers - Pre Thanksgiving - on ESPN
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
It's actually pretty tough this year.  Outside of Andre Miller, we have pitifully few assets to make a trade work.

The legacy of Billy King...

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
And to make sure - look - you can use video games to evaluate trades

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-media28-2008nov28,0,5602549.story

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »
It's actually pretty tough this year.  Outside of Andre Miller, we have pitifully few assets to make a trade work.

The legacy of Billy King...

Can't fault Billy King for this.  We're not in debt draft choices.  We weren't riddled with bad contracts (minus potentially green).  We had young talent.  Or assets have dried up over the summer, basically combining our available assets for Elton Brand, and minimizing the remaining assets we did have with the Williams and Iguodala extensions (because they now can't be traded per league rules, because of Iguodala's BYC status, and because of how their contract affects their attractiveness around the league).  That wasn't Billy King, though.

The truth is we DO have plenty of assets to make a trade work.  The problem is, the assets we do have outside of Andre Miller nobody is going to want to trade.  More and more, our assets are budding superstars.  We COULD make just about any deal we want work if we include Young, Speights, and/or future draft picks with Andre Miller's contract.  Most people are just going to be (wisely) very reluctant to include those as assets.

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »
Can't fault Billy King for this.  We're not in debt draft choices.  We weren't riddled with bad contracts (minus potentially green).  We had young

Sams contract is a bad contract in my opinion, or he'd probably have more trade value around the league.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:35:09 PM by jemagee »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
Sams contract is a bad contract in my opinion, or he'd probably have more trade value around the league.

There are a LOT worse contracts in the league than Sam's. If we wanted to move him, I don't think we'd have a problem.

And, as I said, we're not riddled with bad contracts.  No team has 100% great contracts.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with King.  We're in this position primarily because of acquiring Brand.  And I don't think we're in a bad position.  Our tradable chips have simply progressed to where they're almost untradable, and that's a good thing.

Most of the players who have had their value reduced to contract are primarily of Stefanski's doing.  Iguodala and Williams, after their BYC period is up of course, would have substantially greater trade value if they weren't signed to the deal they are, although I think Williams will eventually gain back his trade value I think.

If you're only willing to trade 4 assets on the team, 2 of which are bench players, most teams aren't going to have many trade assets.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 11:33:15 PM »
Can we trade for a new coach?

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »
Can we trade for a new coach?

It's even easier - if Ed would step up