Author Topic: Rumors and blogs...Byron Scott has lost the Hornets?  (Read 6218 times)

jemagee

Re: Rumors and blogs...Byron Scott has lost the Hornets?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081126&sportCat=nba

BTW - i found it just by pasting the first paragraph into google :)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 04:41:55 PM »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
I should do a weekly installment of 'Bill Simmons is a moron'

"9. Is there a dumber argument in sports than "Chris Paul or Deron Williams"?

I argued before the season, passionately, that Paul was in a different league and earned myself a few death threats from the Salt Lake City area. (You stay classy, Utah.) Check out their 2009 stats through four weeks:

? Paul: 20.5 PPG, 12.2 APG, 2.9 steals, 52.3% FG, 85.6% FT.
? Williams: 7.5 PPG, 8.0 APG, 0.0 steals, 26.7% FG, 66.7% FT.

I mean, that's a landslide! Come on! Can we all agree to stop arguing about this?"

Sure you moron, as soon as you think a little bit.  There is a reason his stats are so low.  Maybe because the guy hasn't really played all that much this year? Hmmmm.  Basketball writer are you?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »
Bill Simmons for some reason is popular - he should stick to writing the red sox, i know people who swear by him - i got a few chuckles from his 'terrible GM summit' but that was like fish in a barrel - with a bazooka.
Simmons thinks as much as his target audience, jeez he makes me miss SAS

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 05:47:52 PM »
It's on ESPN but that's all there is about the Hornets.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
Bill Simmons for some reason is popular - he should stick to writing the red sox, i know people who swear by him - i got a few chuckles from his 'terrible GM summit' but that was like fish in a barrel - with a bazooka.
Simmons thinks as much as his target audience, jeez he makes me miss SAS

Sometimes he reminds me of a blogger more than a respected journalist with a name in the sports world.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »

I argued before the season, passionately, that Paul was in a different league and earned myself a few death threats from the Salt Lake City area. (You stay classy, Utah.) Check out their 2009 stats through four weeks:

I mean, that's a landslide! Come on! Can we all agree to stop arguing about this?"

Sure you moron, as soon as you think a little bit.  There is a reason his stats are so low.  Maybe because the guy hasn't really played all that much this year? Hmmmm.  Basketball writer are you?

Wow, that's just bizarre. Do you think he forgot Williams has been injured at all?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 06:29:39 PM »
Sometimes he reminds me of a blogger more than a respected journalist with a name in the sports world.

Well he works for ESPN so I'm not sure he's respected, he writes for Page 2 which is their 'op-ed' section - so I never called him a journalist, and after reading a feature about him in ESPN regarding sports and the internets i realized he is a blogger - just a blogger who got picked up by ESPN...just like henry abbot at truehopp (and i have issues with abbot but have had some nice email interactions with him - he's willing to answer emailis rather promptly too)

Speaking of rumors

I'm so tired of Lebron rumors - because the arguments are ridiculous - Tony Kornheiser tells me that to be a 'global icon' - LBJ has to go to New York - ignoring the fact that LBJ is already a global icon and that in a flat like 24/7 media world you can be a fracking icon almost anywhere if you are considered the best at what you do in a world wide popular sport (Mike Wilbon surprisingly made that very point) - And as far as them hyping the nets up - do you think ESPN could catch up on the fact that that whole brooklyn move plan might be falling apart due to problems getting ratners projects actually started

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »

Wow, that's just bizarre. Do you think he forgot Williams has been injured at all?

I hope so.  Or I at least hope he was trying to attempt a joke.  No way he can be using that as his basis for the 'I told ya so'

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »
There's always the 3rd possibility :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »

Well he works for ESPN so I'm not sure he's respected, he writes for Page 2 which is their 'op-ed' section - so I never called him a journalist, and after reading a feature about him in ESPN regarding sports and the internets i realized he is a blogger - just a blogger who got picked up by ESPN...just like henry abbot at truehopp (and i have issues with abbot but have had some nice email interactions with him - he's willing to answer emailis rather promptly too)

Speaking of rumors

I'm so tired of Lebron rumors - because the arguments are ridiculous - Tony Kornheiser tells me that to be a 'global icon' - LBJ has to go to New York - ignoring the fact that LBJ is already a global icon and that in a flat like 24/7 media world you can be a fracking icon almost anywhere if you are considered the best at what you do in a world wide popular sport (Mike Wilbon surprisingly made that very point) - And as far as them hyping the nets up - do you think ESPN could catch up on the fact that that whole brooklyn move plan might be falling apart due to problems getting ratners projects actually started

You know what I chalk all this up too?  Our media being based in New York and those New York writers wanting Lebron to be in the area so they get those cushy writing assignments where they get to talk about how great Lebron is every single night.  Everything I read has been bs thus far.

The guy could play in Toronto and be a global icon.  He plays in Ohio and is already a global icon.  Do these writers forget we all got to see the Olympics this past summer?  Aside from Kobe Bryant there was no one near Lebron in terms of popularity the world over.  Michael Jordan played in Chicago, not LA or NYC, and he became the biggest face of sports for an entire decade.  Literally no one came close to him.  The same is the case with Lebron James now.

While Parker had a point with what he said about the Spurs not getting love because of a small market it does not apply to Lebron James.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »

That he's just an idiot?

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »

That he's just an idiot?

Absolutely :)

Was Chicago a basketball mecca BEFORE jordan?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 08:31:40 AM »

Speaking of rumors

You know what I chalk all this up too?  Our media being based in New York and those New York writers wanting Lebron to be in the area so they get those cushy writing assignments where they get to talk about how great Lebron is every single night.  Everything I read has been bs thus far.

The guy could play in Toronto and be a global icon.  He plays in Ohio and is already a global icon.  Do these writers forget we all got to see the Olympics this past summer?  Aside from Kobe Bryant there was no one near Lebron in terms of popularity the world over.  Michael Jordan played in Chicago, not LA or NYC, and he became the biggest face of sports for an entire decade.  Literally no one came close to him.  The same is the case with Lebron James now.

Sean Elliott basically said this about James during last night's Spurs game.  That we will have to listen to 2 years of LBJ hype because all the sportswriters are based out of New York.

Then during a break I switched to the Orl-Philly game and heard Jalen Rose say that Bosh couldn't go to Cleveland joining James because it wasn't a big enough stage.  That the only stage big enough was NY and both James & Bosh HAD to go there in 2010.   ::)

On the whole Simmons thing...he thinks he is humorous.  Most non-Boston readers think he knows less about basketball than he does his own face.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »
I heard the Jalen Rose thing - and I kind of laughed at it.

The 'based out of new york thing' only really applies to sports writers based out of new york i would think wouldn't it?  ESPN is based out of connecticut and i know one of their 'bigger' basketball wonks is based out of hawaii a lot (chad ford) and thorpe is in florida and hollinger i believe is in atlanta.

It's a global world - new york stopped being the center of the universe long ago, not that it ever was.