Author Topic: Where will Al Harrington Go  (Read 3518 times)

jemagee

Where will Al Harrington Go
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
According to Peter Vescey - New York - today

I'm going to say that makes the odds 50:50 of this actually happening

Peter Vescey, New York Post: "Donnie Walsh is set to pull the trigger on his first substantive move as KnicksNew York Knicks president, The New York Post has learned. Knicks sources said a deal for Al Harrington was to go through late yesterday, but was delayed until today. A league conference call is scheduled for this morning that would bring the disgruntled Warriors forward to the Knicks, presumably for Malik Rose. [...] The move will reunite Walsh with Harrington, whom the Pacers president drafted out of high school (No. 25) in 1998."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Where will Al Harrington Go
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
always thought he was terribly overrated.  Then again, he'd fit in well with the rest of the Knicks frontline in that regard.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
Lot of 'unnamed' quotes this week indicate al's ego gets in the way of al's talent (whatever the level is), surprised isiah didn't already obtain him for the knicks before his dismissal with a review like that

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
If Peter Vescey were to state that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West; I'd call Bull Shizzle!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »
I bet he goes out west to a team who is desperate for talent to try to catch the top 4 teams out here.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »
Let's say the top 4 are
Lakers
Utah
New Orleans
Spurs/Houston for now

So you got Denver, Suns, Other Spurs/Houston, Blazers, etc...trying to catch the top 4.

I don't see where Harrington fits?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »
Let's say the top 4 are
Lakers
Utah
New Orleans
Spurs/Houston for now

So you got Denver, Suns, Other Spurs/Houston, Blazers, etc...trying to catch the top 4.

The deal is more or less done according to reports coming out...

Tho I think plenty of teams would like a 6'9 athletic forward who can get to the rim and can shoot long jumpers.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
Can any of you read?

Al Harrington is going to the Knicks.

The real question should be where is Zach Randolph and/or Eddy Curry going?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
Fat camp?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »
Can any of you read?

Al Harrington is going to the Knicks.

The real question should be where is Zach Randolph and/or Eddy Curry going?

The first reports out where they wanted to do it.  Nothing official came out until an hour ago from what I saw.

How dare we bring this up because trades NEVER DIE last minute.  I kind of remember a trade involving Jason Kidd being a "done deal" only for it to die last minute.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 01:14:35 PM »
Let's say the top 4 are
Lakers
Utah
New Orleans
Spurs/Houston for now

IMO Spurs would benefit most and get the most out of him.  If the Spurs can turn Glen Robinson into a decent defender then they can turn anyone into one.  IMO an attitude adjusted Al is just what the doctor ordered for the Spurs and the Spurs have a history of adjusting attitudes under the Pop/TD regime.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
Fabs heart murmur has him in retirement mode IMO.

Yes, Al Harrington, anyone at or above 6'9" and even slightly athletic and mobile.  Please, before the Duncan era is further Poppycock-pissed away.

My guess is cheapskate owner is going to rest on Ian Mahimni joining in midseason.  ::)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »
Amazing what competent people can accomplish....a trade that actually helps the Knicks.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Perdiem-081121

Hollinger's PER Diem: Nov. 21, 2008
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
Updated: November 21, 2008, 3:21 PM ET

Donnie Walsh is nothing if not patient, and today his patience was rewarded. The New York Knicks' team president traded guard Jamal Crawford to the Golden State Warriors for forward Al Harrington, and in doing so pretty much rolled out the welcome mat for LeBron James in 2010.

The key numbers in this deal are 3 and 2: the three years left on Crawford's contract (including this season) against the two remaining on Harrington's. Because of that difference, New York just created an additional $10 million in cap room in the summer of 2010, a period they've targeted for taking a major dive into the free-agent market -- and the summer when, coincidentally, Cleveland star and noted Yankees fan LeBron James can become a free agent, along with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire, among others.

The Knicks now have just $40.9 million in committed salaries for 2010-11. That number would likely give them enough room to make a maximum offer for the Global Icon, but with only five players on the roster, which might not be realistic. A high first-round pick in 2009 would cut deeply into that number, as would re-signing David Lee or Nate Robinson, or any other contract they gave out that was for more than the minimum. (Glass half-full department: Knicks fans needn't worry about a high pick in 2010 hurting their cap -- Isiah Thomas already took care of that by trading it away.)

So, more realistically, then, this deal puts Walsh one deal away from being in position to nab James while still hanging on to some of his more desirable assets -- assets which would make the Big Apple a far more palatable destination for James.

Of course, there are any number of cap-reducing deals Walsh could have made in the past few months. One key difference with this trade is that it doesn't hurt his basketball team in the short term.

Crawford is a force as a scorer, but indifferent at best at the defensive end and a fairly low-percentage marksman -- a career 40.3 percent shooter who tends to fall in love with his long-range jumper at the expense of more makeable shots.

The Knicks replace him with the type of small-ball power forward that coach Mike D'Antoni loves. Harrington has shot 35.8 percent for his career on 3-pointers, and he averaged a point every two minutes last season -- just like Crawford. He has adequate size for a power forward, though he's a middling-at-best athlete who rebounds poorly and rarely blocks shots. But with rookie Danilo Gallinari now expected to be out for a big chunk of the season with back problems, New York needed another quality frontcourt player.

Presumably New York will move Wilson Chandler to small forward and Quentin Richardson to the 2, allowing D'Antoni to utilize the same eight-man rotation he's kept to so far this season. Or one tweak might be to open up some more backcourt minutes for Anthony Roberson or Mardy Collins at the expense of Richardson, who is a bit slow and heavy to see regular duty at shooting guard.

For Golden State, this deal is all about immediate improvement. Harrington had been banished to the inactive list -- something Knicks fans might be a bit familiar with -- after demanding a trade early in the year. From that perspective, the Warriors are essentially getting Crawford for free.

With point guard Monta Ellis injured and reserves C.J. Watson, DeMarcus Nelson and Marcus Williams all found wanting, the Warriors were desperate for somebody who could bring the ball upcourt, initiate offense and occasionally ignite the transition game. While Crawford isn't anyone's idea of a true point guard, he'll be a vast improvement on what's passed for point guard play in the Bay Area thus far.

Golden State will play small and push the tempo with Crawford, Stephen Jackson, Corey Maggette and either Anthony Morrow or Kelenna Azubuike on the outside, while rising star Andris Biedrins mans the middle. Once Ellis comes back around midseason, the Warriors will likely move Crawford to the 2 and bring youngsters Morrow and Azubuike off the bench.

The cap implications aren't as important for Golden State -- the Warriors had already forfeited any shot at serious cap space in 2010 with last week's ridiculous three-year, $27 million extension to Stephen Jackson. But in a weakened West, they now seem set to take aim at the playoff spot that eluded them in the final week a season ago.

So in a nutshell, the Warriors improved their present without severely impacting their future, while the Knicks improved their future without severely impacting their present. All the attention will be on the latter aspect because of the implications for the Great LeBron Sweepstakes. But don't underestimate the former -- the path to a spot in the West's top eight just got measurably tougher, so fans in places like Dallas and Denver should care about this trade just as much as those in Cleveland.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »
Zach Randolph now makes a crowded front court in Clipperland and the knicks clear more cap room for their lebron james quest...which i hope fails...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »
Zach Randolph now makes a crowded front court in Clipperland and the knicks clear more cap room for their lebron james quest...which i hope fails...

That's great they are making space but they still suck.  So until they get better, I am going to say it doesn't matter.  The guy is big in any market.  He could play in North Dakota and still get 10s of millions in marketing money.  I don't know why people keep thinking that he needs to go to a big market for exposure.