Author Topic: OT - Xbox 360  (Read 6064 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Xbox 360
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:47 AM »
According to various 'industry' researcher folk - the PS3 is doomed - the only one of the big 3 to see decreases in sales this holiday season.

Many economic folk think video games are recession proof (not that i believe it) - but they still think the PS3 is toasted

Not that surprising that the sales for it is down.  It is literally twice as much as the other two systems.

And Spurs the ps3 has plenty of games.  I am kind of tired of this argument for the simple fact that xbox/ps3 share 98% of their games.  There is like 10 titles between the two systems that are 'exclusives'. There is plenty of games to play since most games come out for both systems.  There is just not a bunch of exclusives.  Which honestly, doesn't matter for people whove always had playstations.  I never bought an xbox and never planned to so I don't need exclusive titles to woo me.  That only matters to people who bought the XBOX and want a reason to switch. 

The exclusives were my point actually, the reason I bought a PS3 was because of MGS4, otherwise i would have waited, i have played a few other games, and compared demo's on 360 to ps3 to see which one looks and plays better.  mirrors edge for instance looks great on ps3 where as fallout 3 looks and plays better on 360.  right now the 360 has more exclusives that i would rather play, maybe it's just made for the american player more so than sony because i see more "final fantasy" type games on ps3 then 360, and to be honest they are ok, but i get tired of the whole carry a gun and over-sized sword bit.  Could also be that I loved the ps2 rumble controller, maybe i just need to buy one of those to really appreaciate the ps3 becuase the six-axis controller just does not work for me.  I am psyched at the news that PS3 will start kicking out 3D games this year, I am looking forward to see how these turn out.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
According to various 'industry' researcher folk - the PS3 is doomed - the only one of the big 3 to see decreases in sales this holiday season.

Many economic folk think video games are recession proof (not that i believe it) - but they still think the PS3 is toasted

Not that surprising that the sales for it is down.  It is literally twice as much as the other two systems.

And Spurs the ps3 has plenty of games.  I am kind of tired of this argument for the simple fact that xbox/ps3 share 98% of their games.  There is like 10 titles between the two systems that are 'exclusives'. There is plenty of games to play since most games come out for both systems.  There is just not a bunch of exclusives.  Which honestly, doesn't matter for people whove always had playstations.  I never bought an xbox and never planned to so I don't need exclusive titles to woo me.  That only matters to people who bought the XBOX and want a reason to switch. 

The exclusives were my point actually, the reason I bought a PS3 was because of MGS4, otherwise i would have waited, i have played a few other games, and compared demo's on 360 to ps3 to see which one looks and plays better.  mirrors edge for instance looks great on ps3 where as fallout 3 looks and plays better on 360.  right now the 360 has more exclusives that i would rather play, maybe it's just made for the american player more so than sony because i see more "final fantasy" type games on ps3 then 360, and to be honest they are ok, but i get tired of the whole carry a gun and over-sized sword bit.  Could also be that I loved the ps2 rumble controller, maybe i just need to buy one of those to really appreaciate the ps3 becuase the six-axis controller just does not work for me.  I am psyched at the news that PS3 will start kicking out 3D games this year, I am looking forward to see how these turn out.  

But you are an xbox guy!  That is what I am saying.  I've always had Sony products since the first Playstation so I continued to go with Sony because it played the old games and I always have.  The exclusives on either system don't really matter to me all that much. The major titles, the Grand Theft Autos and the Maddens come on both systems.   There are plenty of games to purchase and at 60 bucks a pop how often can you just buy games?  I don't know about anyone else but the speed in which 'exclusives' come out for me is just fine.  60 bucks a pop is not cheap and I don't get enough time to play games to where I beat them fast enough.  For example I still haven't beat Uncharted or LittleBigPlanet.  Won't anytime soon.  Now if I had xbox and then bought the playstation 3 for games, yea I wouldn't be as happy as I am currently.  So I understand why you might have a problem and wanted to wait.  That is exactly what I told W.O.W to do. 

On a side note when I was at Frys yesterday they were selling like 15 Blu Ray titles for under 20 bucks.  Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2, 300, Halloween (seems pointless to have this in HD), National Treasure, and a bunch of others.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:28:23 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
I think the 'blu-ray' push was a small term thing - blu ray player prices are coming down - they are now affordable - you can get a low end xbox 360 and blu-ray player (depending on which one you pick) for less than a PS3 now - Putting the blu-ray player in was a bad idea in my belief because the players were inevitably going to come down...

I posted this comment a while back but the "father" of the Playstation quit Sony because they had strayed too far from his PS concept by including the BluRay player and making the system too expensive.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »
But you are an xbox guy!  That is what I am saying.  I've always had Sony products since the first Playstation so I continued to go with Sony because it played the old games and I always have.  The exclusives on either system don't really matter to me all that much. The major titles, the Grand Theft Autos and the Maddens come on both systems.   There are plenty of games to purchase and at 60 bucks a pop how often can you just buy games?  I don't know about anyone else but the speed in which 'exclusives' come out for me is just fine.  60 bucks a pop is not cheap and I don't get enough time to play games to where I beat them fast enough.  For example I still haven't beat Uncharted or LittleBigPlanet.  Won't anytime soon.  Now if I had xbox and then bought the playstation 3 for games, yea I wouldn't be as happy as I am currently.  So I understand why you might have a problem and wanted to wait.  That is exactly what I told W.O.W to do. 

On a side note when I was at Frys yesterday they were selling like 15 Blu Ray titles for under 20 bucks.  Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2, 300, Halloween (seems pointless to have this in HD), National Treasure, and a bunch of others.

IMO game systems do not match the type of complex games I like to play on PC.  RTS games are my favorites, Halo Wars being the first time I might play one on a game system.  So I have not been a "gamer" but I have owned every game system Nintendo has ever put out, including the Wii, I've owned the PS1 and 2 and I've owned an XBox.  When it came time to buy my next game system, mostly for my kids, I looked at both products since I have NEVER favored one over another, actually I was not too happy with my XBox, so the PS3 actually had an advantage.  What tilted the scales in XBox's favor was Halo3.  So while you get tired of that argument it's a VALID one and I'm a good example of that argument as are three of my friends and 6 of my kids friends.  They picked XBox over PS3 for the EXCLUSIVE games because as you stated, they share all the other ones.

I will only buy BluRay titles for flicks that have a lot of SFX.  I know Speed Racer was somewhat of a bomb at the box office but the SFX in that movie are second to none.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:44:48 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

But i was NOT an xbox guy prior to the 360, I bought one because it was cheaper and i wanted a next gen game syatem, I just happenned to like the games, online gaming, experience it offered.  before that I was strictly a sony guy, I had not interest in the first xbox or it's games...i didn't even play halo (1) when people were raving about it, I played 1 and 2 just before halo 3 came out and that was just over a year ago.  Hell, god of war of war was my favorite game before i got my 360.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
But i was NOT an xbox guy prior to the 360, I bought one because it was cheaper and i wanted a next gen game syatem, I just happenned to like the games, online gaming, experience it offered.  before that I was strictly a sony guy, I had not interest in the first xbox or it's games...i didn't even play halo (1) when people were raving about it, I played 1 and 2 just before halo 3 came out and that was just over a year ago.  Hell, god of war of war was my favorite game before i got my 360.

weakkoast is just a mad little PS3 beeyotch who's holding a grudge for not being able to experience Halo.  :D

I'm still trying to decide if getting a PS3 so I can watch The Dark Knight in HD is worth the extra dollars instead of just buying a plain old BluRay player.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »

IMO game systems do not match the type of complex games I like to play on PC.  RTS games are my favorites, Halo Wars being the first time I might play one on a game system.  So I have not been a "gamer" but I have owned every game system Nintendo has ever put out, including the Wii, I've owned the PS1 and 2 and I've owned an XBox.  When it came time to buy my next game system, mostly for my kids, I looked at both products since I have NEVER favored one over another, actually I was not too happy with my XBox, so the PS3 actually had an advantage.  What tilted the scales in XBox's favor was Halo3.  So while you get tired of that argument it's a VALID one and I'm a good example of that argument as are three of my friends and 6 of my kids friends.  They picked XBox over PS3 for the EXCLUSIVE games because as you stated, they share all the other ones.

I will only buy BluRay titles for flicks that have a lot of SFX.  I know Speed Racer was somewhat of a bomb at the box office but the SFX in that movie are second to none.

It's not valid to people who don't plan on buying the other system.  Why do I care about xbox exclusives if I already bought the Playstation?  Why would you guys really care about Playstation exclusives if you already got the xbox?  It's valid for Spursx3 but it's not valid to me.  Maybe I am not a huge gamer anymore but there hasn't been any video game since Final Fantasy 7 that has been the one that I would even buy another system over.

300 looks very good in Blu Ray but I agree.  Animation looks really good as well even though it's not SFX really.  Wall-E was another one of the movies that was sitting at Frys.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »

weakkoast is just a mad little PS3 beeyotch who's holding a grudge for not being able to experience Halo.  :D

I'm still trying to decide if getting a PS3 so I can watch The Dark Knight in HD is worth the extra dollars instead of just buying a plain old BluRay player.

Not at all.  If I wanted to play a FPS I'd do it on a PC.  Call Of Duty 4 is the only FPS on a console I liked.  I though it was common knowledge if you were mainly focused on games you picked up the xbox if you wanted the blu ray player AND games you would buy the PS3.  I am not arguing either way because I like both systems.  I just purchased one and don't play enough for the argument of exclusives to apply to me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:53:04 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
It's not valid to people who don't plan on buying the other system.  Why do I care about xbox exclusives if I already bought the Playstation?  Why would you guys really care about Playstation exclusives if you already got the xbox?  It's valid for Spursx3 but it's not valid to me.  Maybe I am not a huge gamer anymore but there hasn't been any video game since Final Fantasy 7 that has been the one that I would even buy another system over.

Way to miss the ENTIRE point of my post wk!  Are you being this dense on purpose?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »

You can get blu-ray players for under 200 bucks these days - why pay the extra costs for something that just isn't seemingly going to sustain as a gaming platform

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
250 for a Sony BR player at Best Buy right now actually.  A pretty nice one I might add.

Jem, the PS3 is not going to cease to exist.  Sony is not going bankrupt anytime soon. Let's not blow things out of proportion here.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
I didn't say cease to exist - I said sustain - if it loses more ground peopole will stop developing for it instead of just 'porting' over - the PS3 from what I recall reading while much more powerful is a lot harder to program for - if the market isn't there - why would developers build for it when the bigger markets are on the XBOX360 and the Wii - the cost benefit isn't there.

Heck - the PS3 cost over 800 dollars to make when it was first released - it's down to about 450 - but still.

And while sony might not cease to exist - they have plans for a rather large amount of layoffs between now and 2010 - and they were putting a lot of eggs into the PS3/Home/PSP basket to keep the cmpany afloat...bad days are ahead for sony

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
I didn't say cease to exist - I said sustain - if it loses more ground peopole will stop developing for it instead of just 'porting' over - the PS3 from what I recall reading while much more powerful is a lot harder to program for - if the market isn't there - why would developers build for it when the bigger markets are on the XBOX360 and the Wii - the cost benefit isn't there.

Heck - the PS3 cost over 800 dollars to make when it was first released - it's down to about 450 - but still.

And while sony might not cease to exist - they have plans for a rather large amount of layoffs between now and 2010 - and they were putting a lot of eggs into the PS3/Home/PSP basket to keep the cmpany afloat...bad days are ahead for sony

I don't want to get into a huge debate over this because I've got to go out of town shortly but the life of the PS3 compared to the Wii and Xbox360 is longer.  Microsoft is already moving away from the 360 to develop a new system that will be just as complicated to program on as the ps3 due to the fact it's going to be a [peter griffin] frickin sweet [/peter griffin] piece of hardware.  The Wii market is dominated by Nintendo and not really by the 3rd party games.  The hottest and best titles for the system come from Nintendo so I don't think that really is part of the mix as much as you think it is.  Under developing a game to port it to the Wii is not a simple task when you throw in the controls.  Theyve struggled with it quite a bit.

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
Again - that's fine - but if all you need is a blu-ray player - i think paying the extra for a PS3 makes no sense unless you really really want to play LBP/MGS4/Resistance 2

And while Sony will stay longer with the PS3 - does it matter if developers that aren't sony won't?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
Again - that's fine - but if all you need is a blu-ray player - i think paying the extra for a PS3 makes no sense unless you really really want to play LBP/MGS4/Resistance 2

And while Sony will stay longer with the PS3 - does it matter if developers that aren't sony won't?

Again..the PS3 is not going to cease to exist.  3rd party developers will continue to make games for it.  Pretty sure Insomnia has made good money already.