Author Topic: So  (Read 14177 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: So
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
Supposedly the best play for Brand is the pick and roll to the basket or pop out for the jumper.  For a PG to excel at that play he has to be a quick guard capable of penetrating to the hoop or hitting a mid-range jump shot.  It does not take a ton of decision making ability to run that play, there are only two or three options to consider as it develops.  Miller is a poor fit, especially this year when he has lost what little quickness he has and his jump shot is so flat and has so little "jump" in it that Dwight Howard blocked a 12 footer half way to  the basket and it was a legitimate block since it never started coming down (it also never went up much).

A trade of Miller for a PG that fits the bill is not gonna happen.  We constantly say that Iggy is a good fit with an offensive PG who is not a great passer since he can play the facilitator once the ball is in the half-court.  What option does this lead me to consider - starting Lou Williams at the point and trading Miller for a shooter of some type.  I don't think Lou is a true point, but he should be a good pick and roll player with a little repitition and has Iggy to help run the rest of the offense.  He is a good ball handler bringing it up the court.  In the half court he could initiate his own and Brand's offense at times and run off the ball at other times.  Ivey could back him up with a shooter acquired for Miller paired up with him on the second team.

This option does not touch a core player, just a soon to be expiring Miller, and allows a possible move later at the deadline if it doesn't work, like Dalembert for a healed Hinrich.  Plus we get to see what Lou can do as a starter.

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
My only problem with the experiment of Lou/Iguodala sharing point responsibility is that Mo runs such a loose offense that a real PG is needed to keep everyone involved.  You can see how things fall apart when Miller becomes a high volume shooter- and it would not be much more organized with Lou/Iguodala running the show.

If Mo installed a good structured offense (triangle, Princeton, Dantoni... something) then it could work, but right now the PG has way too much responsibility in Mo's isolation based schemes to go without a real PG.  Maybe this means Mo would have to go, or maybe they just need a younger real PG added to the mix?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »
My only problem with the experiment of Lou/Iguodala sharing point responsibility is that Mo runs such a loose offense that a real PG is needed to keep everyone involved.  You can see how things fall apart when Miller becomes a high volume shooter- and it would not be much more organized with Lou/Iguodala running the show.

If Mo installed a good structured offense (triangle, Princeton, Dantoni... something) then it could work, but right now the PG has way too much responsibility in Mo's isolation based schemes to go without a real PG.  Maybe this means Mo would have to go, or maybe they just need a younger real PG added to the mix?

I would argue with you except you are exactly right, plus I worry about Lou taking a beating defensively from more physical PG's.  BTW, sorry to see Hinrich go AWOL (absent without ligament) on your fantasy team, you have not had great luck so far this year with that kind of thing.

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »
Injuries happen.  I chose to have Arenas and now Ginobli on my team, so if other guys go down I have to deal with the consequences.  I hope I can somehow get in the top 6 for the playoffs, otherwise I think I'm nearly a lock to end of #7 ;) assuming those guys are healhy and playing in March

As for Hinrich- I guess it makes it that much less likely he is a Sixer this year- which I have mixed feelings about anyways.

The Brand acquisition really puts pressure on Ed to find the right PG quickly.  Before Brand their core was young, so they could have the patience to see if a young PG could be acquired and developed over then next 2-3 years.  Now I think he has to have an establish PG out there- and those guys are not that easy to find.

Looking at the PG's that have changed teams recently (Kidd, TJ F, Beno, Billups) I would say only Billups would have been a good fit with his defense and shooting- but it would have moved them further towards being a slower paced team.  Now Hinrich is gone any other names seem like a good fit?:

Hinrich {+}
Lowry
Critt
Bibby
Felton
Terry
Tinsey
Starbury
Ridnour
Telfair
Blake
Fernandez
Knight

BTW, are you the Ratliff Radiators?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:27:50 PM by tk76 »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »
My team is the Boston Stranglers in honor of Andrew Toney.  I personally like Hinrich in part because he would fit well in a three guard rotation with Williams and Igoudala, he would complement ther strengths and weaknesses.  Whether he or Williams started would depend on the offense being run.  Currently I have no idea what offense we are running.  Agree with you on Billups as well.

My reason for mentioning Williams as the starter is because I looked around the league at most of the names you listed and came to the conclusion that most were not better options than Lou.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:59:54 PM by Skates »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »
Crittenton I would have interest in.  I don't think he's ready to be a championship PG, but in 2 years I think he has decent upside.  Fernandez I don't think is a true point, but I think he'd be a great fit on this team, but Iguodala would have to take more of a role in creating opportunities for others.  But you have no shot of getting him IMO.  He'll be starting in Portland's backcourt very soon IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 07:48:39 PM »
I've always been pro crittenton - i just don't know what memphis is planning in their ideas

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
I've always been pro crittenton - i just don't know what memphis is planning in their ideas

The answer lies in your signature, hence there is no answer in memphis, only questions.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
BTW, small sample size so far, but the numbers Thad is putting up this year compare very favorably to anyone in his draft class.  Durant is scoring more, but at a much lower shooting %, plus he is the first option for his team.  Thornton is comparable, but given the age difference Thad has the much higher ceiling. 

Also, PG's seem to be an endangered species.  Deron Williams was supposed to come back this week, but it's now 1-3 additional weeks.  Parker is hurt, Hinrich is hurt, Stuckey left the game feeling dizzy and light-headed, plus Arenas and Monta already on the shelf for an extended time.  At this rate there should be a market for Miller soon.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 10:21:44 AM »
Sounds like they have gone back beyond basics in this article.  Shouldn't this have been something they worked on in the pre-season?  I know they had injuries and Brand missed time when his kid was born, but it is almost like the coaching staff never looked at tapes of Brand in LA.  Also, will Sammy be disciplined and smart enough to follow this when the little white X's are not there during a game?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20081110_Sixers_coach_Cheeks_works_on_plan_to_get_Brand_in_comfort_zone.html

jemagee

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »
I haven't read the article yet but I was just hoping the headline was poorly written

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »
I haven't read the article yet but I was just hoping the headline was poorly written

It is a must read.  The headline only skims the surface.

jemagee

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »
So it's just going to make me more upset and disappointed that Mo is still the coach of the sixers?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 12:40:09 PM »
NY beat Utah yesterday.... expect them to come out hungry against us tomorrow. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2008, 01:10:15 PM »
Still no Deron williams for Utah at least, gives us a chance.