Author Topic: Prop 8 protests are getting violent in LA  (Read 7521 times)

jemagee

Re: Prop 8 protests are getting violent in LA
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »
I guess i was agreeing with yoru point but someone afterwards seemed to think that the '15 billion' was an impressive number period...and that's the point i was trying to counter.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
I guess i was agreeing with yoru point but someone afterwards seemed to think that the '15 billion' was an impressive number period...and that's the point i was trying to counter.

If the "someone" you're refering to is me than you completely missed the point. 

15 Billion as a number in and of itself is meaningless, give a return versus a timeframe and judge the initial investment on that basis. 

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:06 AM »
Well I wasn't trying to be that complicated - my point was that while '15 billion' sounds like a lot of money - the return on the investment of 500 billion is only 3% - and you could put 500 billion in a high yield money market and probably get bettter than 3% a year...my point was that i would think most companies would expect more than a 3% yield on something to make it a worthwhile investment - cause if they can't get more than 3% you just leave it in the bank to accrue interest?

That's exactly my point.  You can not judge a companies "sleezy" profits unless you know how much they invested to get that return.  3% sucks for a 500 billion investment, I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just saying there is more to their "profit" then the dollar amount.  But that would require Reality to use his brain and he's proven once again to fall way short on that front.
Since your CEO says it took the oil company 500 billion to make 15 billion that must make it so. 
Care to back up any of this with facts?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 08:59:39 AM »
Well I wasn't trying to be that complicated - my point was that while '15 billion' sounds like a lot of money - the return on the investment of 500 billion is only 3% - and you could put 500 billion in a high yield money market and probably get bettter than 3% a year...my point was that i would think most companies would expect more than a 3% yield on something to make it a worthwhile investment - cause if they can't get more than 3% you just leave it in the bank to accrue interest?

That's exactly my point.  You can not judge a companies "sleezy" profits unless you know how much they invested to get that return.  3% sucks for a 500 billion investment, I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just saying there is more to their "profit" then the dollar amount.  But that would require Reality to use his brain and he's proven once again to fall way short on that front.
Since your CEO says it took the oil company 500 billion to make 15 billion that must make it so. 

How many years was that investment spread over?  When was the investment made?  How much leverage (borrowing) was used for the investment?  What tax writeoffs and/or other benefits has that investment provided?  Have they recognized any profits in prior years?

The financial world is not as simple as your mind, Reality.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »

Do you speak/read English?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »

Do you speak/read English?
Que skirt off.

How many years was that investment spread over?  When was the investment made?  How much leverage (borrowing) was used for the investment?  What tax writeoffs and/or other benefits has that investment provided?  Have they recognized any profits in prior years?
are you asking me or WoW?  :D  Excuse me, WoWs "CEO".

The financial world is not as simple as your mind, Reality.
Nor is it as complicated as you pencil pushers try to make it.