Author Topic: Prop 8 protests are getting violent in LA  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Prop 8 protests are getting violent in LA
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
jemagee,

So in other words, you need to offer them an INCENTIVE - be it a train or any other business.

The problem with dealing with entrepreneurs is that when they innovate, they want to do it THEIR WAY.  Put a regulation in their way, or a restriction on what tools they can use, or what types of methods, and they're less likely to be willing to deal with the headache.

Essentially, they're going to scream, "LET ME DO IT **MY** WAY!"

Are you actually proposing tax cuts and other such Reaganesque things to spark business?
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »

Are you actually proposing tax cuts and other such Reaganesque things to spark business?

I KNEW this was coming after I read his post LOL

Thought id let a conservative respond tho
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »
encourage the rich to start businesses for their own profit and increased richness with tax breaks, good loans, whatever it takes, and thus create more jobs without having to dig a giant deficit hole - i was talking in eneral - not just the trains

FYI, we just tried that over the past 8 years and look at the results.  Give the rich a "break" and they will "pocket" it.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »
Never really took econoomics - don't know it is 'reaganesque' - just seems like a good idea...

FYI, we just tried that over the past 8 years and look at the results.  Give the rich a "break" and they will "pocket" it.

I expect smart people could figure out ways to make it beneficial to both sides

however - like i said earlier - smart people / government - sadly not so much any more

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
Never really took econoomics - don't know it is 'reaganesque' - just seems like a good idea...

I expect smart people could figure out ways to make it beneficial to both sides

however - like i said earlier - smart people / government - sadly not so much any more

jem,

Aren't you familiar with "Reaganomics" or "trickle down" economy?  Didn't we just try to giving big buisness big breaks over the past 8 years?  Didn't we just try giving the rich breaks?

IMO the "system" favors the rich/corp people way too much at the expense of the middle class.  I am by no means rich but back when I made about 95K, as a W2 employee, I paid about 18K in taxes BUT when I made about 150K in income as an S-Corp, I only paid about 5K in taxes TOTAL.  I was using a conservative tax prep person who took very safe "write offs", I can only imagine what kinds of tax breaks a REAL corp gets using every loop hole in the book.  Being a W2 employee again I feel I'm getting ripped off in taxes.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 04:52:51 PM »
Aren't you familiar with "Reaganomics" or "trickle down" economy?  Didn't we just try to giving big buisness big breaks over the past 8 years?  Didn't we just try giving the rich breaks?

I'm familiar with the terms - i'm familiar with voodoo economics - but i took one economic class in college and when every 'tenant' started out by saying that this is an unprovable theory - (because you can't hold all factors constant and just change one) the analytical part of my mind stopped seeing economics as any more reliable or believable a predictive 'science' than meteorology - or psychics. - that's the extent of my knowledge on the various things of economics (however, the one thing i did learn that i take with me is the 'unique talent' idea that explains why certain pro atheltes, actors, etc...get paid so much damn money)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »

I'm familiar with the terms - i'm familiar with voodoo economics - but i took one economic class in college and when every 'tenant' started out by saying that this is an unprovable theory - (because you can't hold all factors constant and just change one) the analytical part of my mind stopped seeing economics as any more reliable or believable a predictive 'science' than meteorology - or psychics. - that's the extent of my knowledge on the various things of economics (however, the one thing i did learn that i take with me is the 'unique talent' idea that explains why certain pro atheltes, actors, etc...get paid so much damn money)

The basic principle is you help big buisness flourish and their profits and growth will "trickle down" down to the rest of us.  It hasn't helped anyone other than the HUGE companies reporting record profits while at the same time they are shipping jobs oversees to make even more profits.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:12 PM »
The basic principle is you help big buisness flourish and their profits and growth will "trickle down" down to the rest of us.  It hasn't helped anyone other than the HUGE companies reporting record profits while at the same time they are shipping jobs oversees to make even more profits.

Well see, I know that's a pile of horse hockey just by reading the first sentence - i think the over seas shipping of jobs kind of sucks but at the same time i think unions frack things up just as well and encourage the over seas shipping of jobs...both sides suck...that's not the kind of thing i was thinking about...like i said, i don't know all the ins and outs but i bet there's a compromise that helps out the folks with the money - the states - and the people who need jobs

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
Well see, I know that's a pile of horse hockey just by reading the first sentence - i think the over seas shipping of jobs kind of sucks but at the same time i think unions frack things up just as well and encourage the over seas shipping of jobs...both sides suck...that's not the kind of thing i was thinking about...like i said, i don't know all the ins and outs but i bet there's a compromise that helps out the folks with the money - the states - and the people who need jobs

That's the point of my posts, the theory in practice has ONLY helped the people with money and the people in gov that help the people with money.  There is no compromise when the theory is put in "practice".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
That's the point of my posts, the theory in practice has ONLY helped the people with money and the people in gov that help the people with money.  There is no compromise when the theory is put in "practice".

Pardon me if i don't think the reagan administration was filled with the best and the brightest :)  Again, my ideas are theory only - but hinge on the best and brightest being involved in politics...

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »

Pardon me if i don't think the reagan administration was filled with the best and the brightest :)  Again, my ideas are theory only - but hinge on the best and brightest being involved in politics...

You should research the Reagan era before making such broad statements.  Reagan and his followers' economic policies had more to do with the surpluses that occurred during the Clinton Administration than anything Clinton did.  The true conservatives (both Republican and Dixiecrat) that were in charge of Congress at that point helped to temper Clinton's propensity to spend including nationalizing our health care system.

The problem is that those people left office and were replaced by Bushies...people who professed conservatism but did not actually believe in it.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »

My point is it was tried already.

Your signature implies you are a fan of Mr. Albert Einstein, here is another one of his quotes:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »
I wasn't referring to political leanings, i was referring to 'best and the brightest' whichever direction they lean - and i don't think they've been in politics for a while now...since probably the carter administration - as the media grows and becomes more intrusive and some sort of idiotic 'moral perfection' is required of candidates - people become less inclined to go into public service because the most idiotic things start to matter - combine that with a voting populus that seems more interested in a candidate you could have a beer with than someone smart enough to make you feel like you don't know anything - and well - politics is more about popularity and painting a picture than the ability to do the job well any more...the headaches far outweight the benefits...so the best and the brightest, right leaning or left leaning, go on to other things...i really don't care which direction they lean -

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
A few skermishes with police are on TV in LA.

koast
I've heard people mention that they want to bring this back up again and have another vote?  Everyone knows my stance on it, I am NO on 8 all the way but if the people spoke, the people spoke. 

I saw you two on the telecast with one of those launchers like they use at baseball games.  Launching fuschia-purple colored panties emblazioned with "We're here we're queer" and "vote NO on 8". 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »
A few skermishes with police are on TV in LA.

koast
I've heard people mention that they want to bring this back up again and have another vote?  Everyone knows my stance on it, I am NO on 8 all the way but if the people spoke, the people spoke. 

I saw you two on the telecast with one of those launchers like they use at baseball games.  Launching fuschia-purple colored panties emblazioned with "We're here we're queer" and "vote NO on 8". 

You've been so owned already, why do you ask for more?

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"