Author Topic: Spurs 1st rd draft pick Hill news  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 1st rd draft pick Hill news
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Thumb injury slows Ex-IUPUI star Hill
Ex-IUPUI star and Spurs rookie guard was doing well until getting hurt
By Mike Wells
Posted: October 19, 2008Read Comments(2)Recommend E-mail Print Share Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Yahoo Google A A

SAN ANTONIO -- The transition to the NBA was going a lot smoother than expected for San Antonio Spurs rookie guard George Hill.

The former Broad Ripple High School and IUPUI star's quick grasp of the NBA has been one of the highlights of the preseason for the Spurs.

But then it happened.

Hill, all 6-3 of him, went into the paint for a rebound in a game last week against the Detroit Pistons only to go down court with a sprained left thumb after getting hit by somebody's elbow.

The thumb injury has caused Hill to miss the previous two preseason games, including Saturday's contest against his hometown team, the Indiana Pacers.

"My reaction was to stay humbled and focused," Hill said before doing some on-court work Saturday. "Any player is going to get mad if he doesn't get to play because that's how competitive I am. I always want to be out there."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Hill is expected to undergo an MRI on his thumb Monday now that the swelling has gone down. They hope he can play in the preseason finale against Miami on Friday.

Hill's injury is just a minor speed bump in what looks like a promising career for the No. 26 pick in last summer's draft.

Hill's work ethic and commitment to improve every day has earned him a lot of praise.

"I've been impressed," Popovich said. "More than anything, he's obviously an absolute NBA defender. He does a great job defensively. He's got a knack for steals, deflections, getting a piece of the ball here and there. He really understands that side of the court. Secondly, I'm really impressed with his mental toughness; he's not intimated by anything. He's got a great demeanor about him."

Hill is going through a transition period as all rookies do. His transition, however, is a little steeper than some because he didn't play at a major Division I program and he's also learning how to play point guard after predominately playing off the ball at IUPUI.

"I was mainly an off guard in college," Hill said. "Trying to run a team and remember everything is the toughest part. The game is a lot quicker with a lot more possessions because of a shorter shot clock."

Hill couldn't have a better mentor to learn from than veteran Tony Parker, one of the league's elite point guards, and Jacque Vaughn, who has never been flashy but has been a very consistent player throughout his career.

Hill, who passed up his senior season at IUPUI to enter the draft, is averaging 8.0 points, 3.3 assists, 2.3 steals and 2.0 turnovers in 19 minutes a game in the preseason. He's competing with Vaughn for minutes backing up Parker this season.

"We're turning him into (a point guard) and that's a tough transition," Popovich said. "That process will take time. In certain situations we've gotten on him a little bit more and tried to get him to focus and tried to get him to understand that the position is a bear to learn and it comes with a lot of responsibility.

"That's a lot to throw on a guy that hasn't played the position, really. He's really improved leaps and bounds since the summer time."

Hill said he doesn't lean on just his fellow point guards. He prefers to pick the brains of every player on the roster because the Spurs are a veteran team that is a title contender on a regular basis.

"This is a very first class organization," Hill said. "Every teammate is a great person on and off the court. . . . It's a team, it's a family."

jemagee

Re: Spurs 1st rd draft pick Hill news
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »
As devastating to the spurs as the baron davis injury to the clippers, i betcha

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »
It could be if numb nutts Pop fails once again on a backup pg for Tony Parker and Parker gets injured again.
Basically derailed the 2006 repeat attempt along with Smallballs strategy.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:11:40 PM »
It could be if numb nutts Pop fails once again on a backup pg for Tony Parker and Parker gets injured again.
Basically derailed the 2006 repeat attempt along with Smallballs strategy.

It wasn't the fact they didn't have a back up.  It was the fact that they didn't have Tony Parker.  I think you fail to realize just how good Tony Parker is and what he means to this squad.  Even if they had an aging PG as a back up I don't think they would have won it that year either.  I certainly don't think a rookie PG is going to have a huge impact the entire season out of the gate.  We will see though I guess.

If they need to find a solid back up for anyone it's Tim Duncan.  Tony Parker is still a young guy.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!   ::)

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »

It wasn't the fact they didn't have a back up.  It was the fact that they didn't have Tony Parker.  I think you fail to realize just how good Tony Parker is and what he means to this squad.  Even if they had an aging PG as a back up I don't think they would have won it that year either.  I certainly don't think a rookie PG is going to have a huge impact the entire season out of the gate.  We will see though I guess.
[/quote]
They had a back up point guard.  Numb Nutts left Parker in a game they led by 20 with Mad Dog Artest looking very obviously unmedicated and injured and angry.  He clubs Tony and Tony is 60% for the Mavs series.
I realize just how good Tony Parker is.  Do you realize in attempting to disagree with me you are agreeing with me?

And i dont think a rookie point guard will make a huge impact either.  Altho that is what you're left with after NN ran off others and repels other would be signers.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »

They had a back up point guard.  Numb Nutts left Parker in a game they led by 20 with Mad Dog Artest looking very obviously unmedicated and injured and angry.  He clubs Tony and Tony is 60% for the Mavs series.
I realize just how good Tony Parker is.  Do you realize in attempting to disagree with me you are agreeing with me?

And i dont think a rookie point guard will make a huge impact either.  Altho that is what you're left with after NN ran off others and repels other would be signers.
[/quote]

Wait your telling me you know what Ron Artest mental state was from your couch or some online stream for an out-of-your-market game?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »

Wait your telling me you know what Ron Artest mental state was from your couch or some online stream for an out-of-your-market game?
[/quote]
I guess we should surmise you're not up to speed yet on Ron Artest mental condition.  :D :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »

I guess we should surmise you're not up to speed yet on Ron Artest mental condition.  :D :D
[/quote]

Says the guy who wanted him to join the Spurs and thought him going to the Rockets was going to finally get the center you've been hyping for the past 5 years out of the first round?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »

Says the guy who wanted him to join the Spurs and thought him going to the Rockets was going to finally get the center you've been hyping for the past 5 years out of the first round?

Can you guys PLEASE learn to use the "Quote" feature.  Jeeze...frigging newbz!  I fixed what Dumbality did wrong so it's all good from here.....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »
^^ apparantly you are trying to make some point about Rons being injured and unmedicated in the final 2006 Kings playoff game vs Spurs and my approval or not of his joining the Rockets.  Are you joining Dancing with the Stars with Warren Sapp/WoW?

Ron played very well in the 2006 series vs the Spurs and was in Mad Dog mode after getting injured halfway thru the final game.  Frustrated, Ron was looking to take it out on someone.  Clearly visible to any with an ounce of hoop discernment.  Not Lord Poppycock tho.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »

Can you guys PLEASE learn to use the "Quote" feature.  Jeeze...frigging newbz!  I fixed what Dumbality did wrong so it's all good from here.....

I hate to remind you AGAIN...for the 30th time....but it's the way the board software works when you click the 'quote' button.  I didn't go back to look over the tags to fix cuz it's really not that big of a deal to me.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
I hate to remind you AGAIN...for the 30th time....but it's the way the board software works when you click the 'quote' button.  I didn't go back to look over the tags to fix cuz it's really not that big of a deal to me.

No it's not the way the board software works.  It's the way people, like Reality, screw up the Quote feature by trying to edit what they are quoting.  Since he screwed up the first one with an extra [/quote], if you quote his screwed up post it just continues the problem.

AGAIN, it's not the way the board software works, it's the way newbz use it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
and mine is being on this laptop for the 1st time.
What is up with it jumping pages?  I'm asking westkoast, not hijacky Warren.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
and mine is being on this laptop for the 1st time.
What is up with it jumping pages?  I'm asking westkoast, not hijacky Warren.

Ok, I'll let you guys work it out.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"