Author Topic: Lottery Results: 2008-2009  (Read 18561 times)

Offline cudall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lottery Results: 2008-2009
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
i'll take the top available spot . . .

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 12:42:16 PM »
Derek: It's not about people going out of order. Don't care about that. It's more about someone releasing their top player to the draft because they know they have a pick in the top two or three. For instance, say I lucked out this year and got the first pick. Because I know it beforehand, I can then NOT declare LeBron a keeper and release him to the draft and keep someone else, then turn around and pick him up with the first pick. So I get my top 3 players AND get potentially 3 more years of keeper eligibility with LeBron instead of only one year. If I don't know the draft order, I am forced to keep LeBron and lose him after this year . . . But whatever. I realize it only potentially affects the top few picks, and wouldn't be an issue some years.

Ted, it's amazing how bitter you've remained after finishing 8th and 10th the last couple years. Really, there's nothing to be embarrassed about . . . (this is where I put the smiley emoticon, right?)

You can't do that anyway cudall, we may have not addressed that specific scenario but the spirit of the "keepers" rules I don't think that should/would be allowed.  Same thing applies with trades, you can't just trade players back and forth and reset their eligibility.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
Derek: It's not about people going out of order. Don't care about that. It's more about someone releasing their top player to the draft because they know they have a pick in the top two or three. For instance, say I lucked out this year and got the first pick. Because I know it beforehand, I can then NOT declare LeBron a keeper and release him to the draft and keep someone else, then turn around and pick him up with the first pick. So I get my top 3 players AND get potentially 3 more years of keeper eligibility with LeBron instead of only one year. If I don't know the draft order, I am forced to keep LeBron and lose him after this year . . . But whatever. I realize it only potentially affects the top few picks, and wouldn't be an issue some years.

Ted, it's amazing how bitter you've remained after finishing 8th and 10th the last couple years. Really, there's nothing to be embarrassed about . . . (this is where I put the smiley emoticon, right?)

You just gave the exact reason I wanted to know my draft position. And I'm not ashamed of it. This is my last year to keep Deron Williams, and I LOVE his game for fantasy. But there's a trade-off if I do what you are saying, and there will be for most people in my position. I have to decide whether keeping DWill for three more years is worth passing on the chance to have a potential combination of Williams, Wallace, and say Carmelo, or Arenas, or Bosh this year. You see, it comes down to this: would I rather have:

Williams in his last year
Wallace for two years
Carmelo for three years

or

Williams for three years
Wallace for two years
Mehmet Okur / Stephen Jackson / Corey Maggette for two years

There's a major downgrade in that third person if I throw Deron back into the draft to pick him up again.

What would you do? I'm still not sure what I will do. But my decision rests almost wholely on how much of a homer I really am.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:47:54 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »
You can't do that anyway cudall, we may have not addressed that specific scenario but the spirit of the "keepers" rules I don't think that should/would be allowed.  Same thing applies with trades, you can't just trade players back and forth and reset their eligibility.

The keeper rule isn't there to "ensure you can't keep the same player for more than two years no matter what." By letting Deron go to the draft and picking him up again, I'm giving other players a chance to pick up another elite player I could have had (with Williams still on my team) . . . someone like Carmelo or Arenas. You have to give something up, and in this case, I would be giving up a chance to have three elite fantasy players for the chance to keep one for longer. The question is "How dumb am I?"

Norwegian Fjords could have done the same thing with Kobe, but what would he have to give up? Oh . . . only Chris Paul.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:10:28 PM by Ted »

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

Sorry, didn't realize I was projecting bitterness in my posts. I'm actually quite pleased at my draft position. It's given me lots of options.

And by the way, I finished SEVENTH last year. So take that!  (smiley emoticon goes here)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:59:09 PM by Ted »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
The keeper rule isn't there to "ensure you can't keep the same player for more than two years no matter what." By letting Deron go to the draft and picking him up again, I'm giving other players a chance to pick up another elite player I could have had (with Williams still on my team) . . . someone like Carmelo or Arenas. You have to give something up, and in this case, I would be giving up a chance to have three elite fantasy players for the chance to keep one for longer. The question is "How dumb am I?"

Norwegian Fjords could have done the same thing with Kobe, but what would he have to give up? Oh . . . only Chris Paul.

I think you are right Ted, didn't that rat bastard draft list stealing son of a bear Joe V re-draft Duncan?  Hmmm.....actually that affects my draft strategy quite a bit.   >:(
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline cudall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »
like I said, it depends on the year and the make-up of the teams at the top of the draft order. And yes, it just so happens that fjords has Kobe, etc. etc. etc. I understand. But depending on the year (who happens to be available) and who gets the top draft spot, it could work out very well in their favor.

If your team happens to have 3 elite players, and normally you would have to give one up (and not get to select them because you're drafting 6th or 9th or whatever), but magically you get selected for the top spot, you get to sort of manipulate the process more than others lower in the draft . . .

whatever, ted. doesn't matter. i know you love dair-on william's jeri-curled, bowl cut hair . . . and when are we going to lunch?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
I know not of what you people speak.  I've never sniffed a pick closer than 9, I tend to spend my time in the championships.  :-*

Wow, that's cool. Skander is picking immediately after me. This should be fun, right Skander?

Ted . . . I have a deep and seething hatred of you!

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
I know not of what you people speak.  I've never sniffed a pick closer than 9, I tend to spend my time in the championships.  :-*

Exactly. If you're picking first or second, it's not very likely you have more than two keeper-quality players. It's more likely your team SUCKS, like mine. In fact, my second keeper is of somewhat dubious quality: who knows what Gerald Wallace is going to do. There's just no one else for me to keep.

Ted . . . I have a deep and seething hatred of you!

Gerald Wallace.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:33:06 PM by Ted »

Offline Davisgolf1981

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
I'll take the fifth spot

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »
Where are we on this? Who is next?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »
Where are we on this? Who is next?

I think we are at the point were we need to start shopping the Supes team around for a new owner.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »
Yup.  the supes is incommunicado.  Wow, if your friend wants it, send him the info to sign up.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »
Yup.  the supes is incommunicado.  Wow, if your friend wants it, send him the info to sign up.

Bods,

It's not about a friend of mine.  jemg posted that he wanted to participate if there was an open team, I was going to offer him my team if there was not an open one.  You should post on our discussion board that there is an open team and they are on the clock to pick a draft slot.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline cudall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
What if we know someone who would like to join/be an active, knowlegeable player to take over the team?