Author Topic: preseason game Wed 10/8 v C's- NBA TV  (Read 8909 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
preseason game Wed 10/8 v C's- NBA TV
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
I hope I can find this streamed, although i probably will be at work during most of the game.  Good to see BB back- even though pre-season is not exactly exciting stuff.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: preseason game Wed 10/8 v C's- NBA TV
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
I purchased NBATV today ($4.95 for the sports package if you have Comcast, you get a plethora of sports channels).  Good value if you ask me.  Looking forward to seeing how everyone looks. 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »
Is the game as ugly as it looks online

too many turnovers, not enough assists on made baskets, not good defensive rebounding and foul prone players...

Oh yeah, nice FG% allowed

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Boxscore, looks like the young guys were frisky:

http://www.nba.com/games/20081008/BOSPHI/boxscore.html

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:16:36 PM »
I watched on some funky feed on justin.tv, so I didn't have the best view.  It wasn't any sloppier than I'd expect from the 1st preseason game.

Young and Lou looked great.  I was surprised how in control Young looked.  Lou still needs to work on his PG skills, but its hard to keep control in this type of game.

Great 15-0 run in the 3rd quarter by the starters angainst Boston's starters.  Young was really wearing out Pierce.  I thing at one point the C's announcer said how Peirce would have to learn more about Youngs game, and Young was giving him a thorough education. 

I though Speight looked good.  He's real athletic and makes himself available to score (and tries to take charges.)

Brand looked a little flat.  He did not look explosive or very quick, but I'm sure he needs to get his game legs back and get more comfortable with his teammates.  Iguodala made one great pass when doubled to an open Brand for a 3 pt play.  Hopefully signs of things to come.

Honestly, if I had never seen or heard of these guys, I would have thought Young and Williams were the stars, with Iguodala and Brand as solid complementary players.  Not that that is anywhere near the truth, but thats how they looked.

BTW, here is a link to most of the game if you want to watch warning, there are some strange clips inserted in the game footage- I did not post this, it is where I watched the game: http://www.justin.tv/porky2k5/archive#  Click on 10/8, the game plays from late in the 1st quarter to the end of the game.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »
Thad looked comfortable.  His shot looks vastly improved.  He gets his legs under him and has a smooth release... not to mention, he seems more at home this year shooting from long range.  His handle also looks much stronger.  It's still nothing special, but it's abundantly clear that he's put in work on that aspect of his game. 

Lou looks poised to break out.  I could see him being a candidate for 6th man of the year. 

Speights looked aggressive.  Although the box score doesn't show it, I was impressed with the way he was challenging shots in the paint.  He's a big kid and he knows how to use his length. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »
Lou, Thad and Speights all impressed me.  Lou was clearly the best player on both clubs last night. It is apparent that both Lou and Thad worked very hard on their shots this summer. Both of them had smooth strokes and good form shooting from outside last night.

The starting five looks like it needs a lot of work learning how to execute in the half-court.  Last night, they were still getting their shots off the dribble, and not from slick passing to the open man. This is something that will take some time, but the pieces are there.  Dalembert, Brand and Young make a good front court unit, Igoudala and Miller are as good as any back court in the league.

I really think that the team should get off to a great start thanks to the improvements in Young and Williams.  As the team and Brand learn to work together the offense will become very difficult to stop.

Speights may turn out to be the X-factor for the team. Having a 6'-11" F/C coming in to score and rebound as a replacement for Dalembert is a major upgrade for the second unit over Jason Smith.  He is a raw talent, but has great size and quickness and a good aggressive quality. He also makes a lot of rookie mistakes, and Cheeks will have to balance his playing time to get him the experience without costing the Sixer's games.  If he can be ready by the time the playoffs roll around, the team will be set to make a run at the finals.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:35:22 PM »
My hope is that Maresse Speights has supplanted Sam Dalembert as starter by all star break

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:03:18 PM »
My hope is that Maresse Speights has supplanted Sam Dalembert as starter by all star break

you're probably a little overoptimistic.  All star weekend 2010 possibly.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:55 PM »

I will be happy if he is getting Ratliff's minutes by then.  I would expect minimal playing time early, but hope for a Thad-like break-out down the stretch.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »

you're probably a little overoptimistic.  All star weekend 2010 possibly.

I'm hugely over optimsitic, but I already expect Sam to be a whiner now that the sixers have a real big man and I've been pro speights for a while...i will accept no later than the starting center in october 2009.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 05:40:08 PM »
TK, any broadband links to the game tonight vs. the Knicks?  I thought it was going to be on MSG, but apparently it's not. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
MSG2- I have not found any inks to it.  I will let you know if I find it, but it looks like maybe no one is streaming it.  Bummer, I was hoping to watch the game.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
tvu://65237
just found it!

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
Is that the full link?  Can you post it again?  Most appreciated.