Author Topic: Off to Vegas  (Read 10543 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: Off to Vegas
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »
No question Tommy's is up there as long as it has chili on it, the best is still the original Tommy's at Beverly and Rampart, altough the gangbangers have made it their home and it can be a little dicey after 11:00, but In N Out is still the best.

WOW, my guilty pleasure is White Castle, something about those little bite-sized piles of grease...
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
...little bite-sized piles of grease...

Exactly, I couldn't describe them any better.  But I understand guilty pleasures, I'm a big Jack-In-The-Box 2 for 99 cents folded piles of grease.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
No question Tommy's is up there as long as it has chili on it, the best is still the original Tommy's at Beverly and Rampart, altough the gangbangers have made it their home and it can be a little dicey after 11:00, but In N Out is still the best.

WOW, my guilty pleasure is White Castle, something about those little bite-sized piles of grease...

I love the white castle burgers in the freezer section at the store.  Cook em up in the oven and they come out good.  Not greasy or anything.  Ever try those?

My guilty pleasure (and current hang over cure) is a double cheese burger with big mac sauce and a coke.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »
Why are californians so obsessed with In N Out, and ooooohhhhh the secret ordering 'animal style'....it's so cool and trendy.

There are many nice things about california, In N Out isn't one of them, it's just over rated by Californians as something 'uniquely' Californian so  they have to hype it to be 'unique'.  It's a chain, and I've had better burgers at local burger joints than in n out.

My first experience with white castle as a youth involved a lot of long uncomfortable trips to the water closet...not something i'm anxious to return.

And anyone who doesn't get how good a cheesesteak ( a real one, not one of those stupid tourist ones) is compared to a generic cheese burger is, i can't help.

California has nice weather, but as far as 'regional' food goes, they ahve the corner on the sushi market and maybe come in second to texas in terms of 'hole in the wall tauqerias', but the in n out thing is out of hand...it's just a BURGER for gods sake

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »
Why are californians so obsessed with In N Out, and ooooohhhhh the secret ordering 'animal style'....it's so cool and trendy.

There are many nice things about california, In N Out isn't one of them, it's just over rated by Californians as something 'uniquely' Californian so  they have to hype it to be 'unique'.  It's a chain, and I've had better burgers at local burger joints than in n out.

It's a chain thing.  Can you name a fast food chain better than In N Out?  I can only name a couple, three at the most.

My first experience with white castle as a youth involved a lot of long uncomfortable trips to the water closet...not something i'm anxious to return.

I just don't get how anyone from a region of the country where a place like White Castle can survive would have even the slightest clue about a "burger".

And anyone who doesn't get how good a cheesesteak ( a real one, not one of those stupid tourist ones) is compared to a generic cheese burger is, i can't help.

IMO cheesesteak is not to be compared to a burger, very different animals.  A cheesesteak is more comparable to a torta, in which case a cheesesteak sucks arse.

California has nice weather, but as far as 'regional' food goes, they ahve the corner on the sushi market and maybe come in second to texas in terms of 'hole in the wall tauqerias', but the in n out thing is out of hand...it's just a BURGER for gods sake

I don't eat sushi so I can't comment on that subject.  In terms of Mexican food, IMO Cali is much better than Texas. Texas is predominantly Tex-Mex and food from northern Mexico.  Cali represents varios regions of Mexican food, you have much better selection of Mexican food in Cali.  I've spent months in Texas and while Tex-Mex is very good, it's just a small sample of the region foods in Mexico.  Mexican food in Texas is the equivalent of Asian food in most places, Asian food is another genre where Cali has the rest of the country beat. Mexican and Asian food is very "Americanized".  I've spent time in China, Singapore, Japan and Korea, and I can tell you the food served in most US places is not indicative of what they really eat over there.  Just like Mexican food in the US is not indicative of what people really eat in Mexico.  Plus I dont' know how much of an in-road Salvadorian, Peruvian or Brazillain food has made.  Most central and southern American foods are represented in Cali but the three I specifically mentioned are well represented in Cali.

How many places in the US serve mole', barbacoa, birria, chilaquilas, arroz con pollo, morcio, cecina, cabeza, lengua, colorado, tasajo, amarillo or posole?  How about pim-bim-bap, bugogi, chilean crab, fish head curry or baby chicken soup?  How about dog, cat or rat?  errrr....scratch that last sentence.

Most American just don't know any better.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:58 AM »
And that post right there is why most of America dislikes Californians :)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »

Like I said, never tried In N Out, so I don't know what all the hype is either.  You are right about "hole in the wall" taco joints...we have WAY too many here...they are usually tasty, but there is just way too many around here.  As far as Burgers go, we got some places that can make a mean burger, Armadillo's makes a burger to feed four people, while the regular burger is like i don't know if it is a half pound or whole pound - it's a lot for one person, i have never finished it in one setting, the thing is it's not even that the size of this thing is big, or that you can feed 4 people here for less than 30.00, it's the flavor!  I tried Fat Burger here - it had no flavor, it was just basically cooked meat.  Armadillo's and other local joints season the meat either before, or while cooking, great taste!  I would like to try a "real" cheesesteak.  I have tried the local stuff from people who say they grew up in Philly and know all about cheesesteaks...whatever.  I want to see if there is a real difference in real philly local food one of therse days.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
What the hell would a guy from Santa Barbara transplanted from Philly know about mexican food?  When you live in LA, when you breathe LA, and when you eat in LA then maybe we can take you seriously.  Until then..just move back to Philly.  If you hate it so much, leave.  Find a new job.  It's a horrible place to live we know.  It's painful to live close to the ocean and have sun 340 days a year.  I am sure a lot of people feel your pain.

And Ill take a nice pork torta long before a flippin dirty cheesesteak.  I've had both too.  I lived in Jersey for a year and made many trips over into Philly.  Talk about overhyped.  Your favorite meal comes off a dirty cart on the side of the street.  Don't get mad if we like In N out.  They are ALL over Southern California and Vegas.  So while plenty of small mom and pop places have better burgers, those places are not everywhere.  I can't be in Simi Valley and get a burger from the local spot I like in Orange County....but I can go to In N Out and get a quality burger fast.  Animal style hasn't been a secret forever.  Reality is just retarded.  I've been eating animal style burgers since I was able to walk.  Two flippin decades seriously.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »

It's a chain thing.  Can you name a fast food chain better than In N Out?  I can only name a couple, three at the most.

I just don't get how anyone from a region of the country where a place like White Castle can survive would have even the slightest clue about a "burger".

IMO cheesesteak is not to be compared to a burger, very different animals.  A cheesesteak is more comparable to a torta, in which case a cheesesteak sucks arse.

I don't eat sushi so I can't comment on that subject.  In terms of Mexican food, IMO Cali is much better than Texas. Texas is predominantly Tex-Mex and food from northern Mexico.  Cali represents varios regions of Mexican food, you have much better selection of Mexican food in Cali.  I've spent months in Texas and while Tex-Mex is very good, it's just a small sample of the region foods in Mexico.  Mexican food in Texas is the equivalent of Asian food in most places, Asian food is another genre where Cali has the rest of the country beat. Mexican and Asian food is very "Americanized".  I've spent time in China, Singapore, Japan and Korea, and I can tell you the food served in most US places is not indicative of what they really eat over there.  Just like Mexican food in the US is not indicative of what people really eat in Mexico.  Plus I dont' know how much of an in-road Salvadorian, Peruvian or Brazillain food has made.  Most central and southern American foods are represented in Cali but the three I specifically mentioned are well represented in Cali.

How many places in the US serve mole', barbacoa, birria, chilaquilas, arroz con pollo, morcio, cecina, cabeza, lengua, colorado, tasajo, amarillo or posole?  How about pim-bim-bap, bugogi, chilean crab, fish head curry or baby chicken soup?  How about dog, cat or rat?  errrr....scratch that last sentence.

Most American just don't know any better.

Being here in SA you would be surprised at the type of foods served near the airforce bases.  pretty much all the mexican dishes are served here, I have had Bugogi, can't say I have seen the rest you mentioned.  still have not tried "kimshi" [sp?]  around here yet...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
I love that california snobbery has its own internal snobbery, LA snobbery is the laughable of all snobberies as it's possible the most fake of all cities in the United States.

Do you think somehow the large amounts of people who cross the border into California stop at Los Angeles?  Do you think Santa Barbara is some other universe from Los Angeles?

I suppose it could be asked how someone from LA could talk about Mexican food because really, only people from San Diego/Baja would know good Mexican food.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »
I love that california snobbery has its own internal snobbery, LA snobbery is the laughable of all snobberies as it's possible the most fake of all cities in the United States.

It's far from snobbery.  I don't think I am better then people who don't live in LA (don't let my jokes with JoMaL and Lurker fool you).  In fact you think your hometown is so much better Im telling you to go home.  It has very little to do with snobbery and more to do with the fact you bitch about California every chance you get.   If you hate everything about California from the things people from California like to eat, to the area you live in, to the things people do for fun...leave.  Stop complaining and leave.

Laker Dan has picked up on it and he rarely comes here....

Do you think somehow the large amounts of people who cross the border into California stop at Los Angeles?  Do you think Santa Barbara is some other universe from Los Angeles? 

No it's not but it is also not highly concentrated with latino people either is it?  So the amount of quality, authentic latin food in LA is double anywhere else, including MAINLY WHITE Santa Barbara.

I suppose it could be asked how someone from LA could talk about Mexican food because really, only people from San Diego/Baja would know good Mexican food.

There are places in LA much better then San Diego and a lot more people leave to LA County to be with relatives then stay in San Diego, you know one of the most expensive places to live in all of the country.

It's more then just mexican food.  Though I wouldn't expect a guy from Philly who lives in Santa Barbara to truly understand the entire spectrum of Latin American food.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:45:59 AM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »
 Animal style hasn't been a secret forever.  Reality is just retarded.  

:D :D :D :D

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
No it's not but it is also not highly concentrated with latino people either is it?  So the amount of quality, authentic latin food in LA is double anywhere else, including MAINLY WHITE Santa Barbara.

I think you'd be surprised at the concentration of latino people because concentration is a factor of proportionality and a city of under 100,000, each member of a given ethnic heritage will add MORE to the concentration than in a city of over 8,000,000 people.

There may be more ethnic diversity in LA, I'm not disputing that, but in Santa Barbara, if you ain't white you're usually hispanic...there's not much else here.

And yes, as I attendied the school I lovingly refered to as

Uniquely
Caucasian
Student
Body

I realize there are a large proportion of white people in this town (though I don't count most of the college students as they are transient non residents) but it doesn't mean there isn't a large percentage of latino population in Santa Barbara and that somehow the ones who come up here are lesser cooks.

It's more then just mexican food.  Though I wouldn't expect a guy from Philly who lives in Santa Barbara to truly understand the entire spectrum of Latin American food.

I was referring to Mexican food, so it's not more than just mexican food to me...but again, your ideas about the superiority of LA are interesting to read...

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »

This morning i have very bad gas and privacy.  So I'm just personalizing it, enjoying them.  Rating them.  You remember the George Calin skit.  We all do it.
Ahhhhh.  I don't think anything you guys say this morning could disrupt me.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 12:07:14 PM »

This morning i have very bad gas and privacy.  So I'm just personalizing it, enjoying them.  Rating them.  You remember the George Calin skit.  We all do it.
Ahhhhh.  I don't think anything you guys say this morning could disrupt me.

Don't Y.A.W.N you might pass out from the fumes