Author Topic: OT - Any Led Zeppelin fans around here?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT - Any Led Zeppelin fans around here?
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
They were one of my fav bands for a long time.  A few years ago I read about them being rip off artist.  Did a little research and found out it was true.  The problem is if I mention this to anyone in public I get close to catching, or handing out, a beat down over this topic.  I heard a guy on the radio who had details about the rip offs, Led Zeppelin even gave writing credits after they got busted to an artist or two. 

Just a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPAEPFaxoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCMDR0yrxMw

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Any Led Zeppelin fans around here?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »
In addition Zep's  The Lemon Song and In My Time of Dying are straight rips as well.   In those cases the orginal performers were long since dead and couldn't sue. 

Don't know if you ever saw the Simpsons episode where they go to England.  There's a great bit with them on top of a Ferris Wheel and Homer is listing the great sites. "There's the Tower of London..., there's Westminster Abbey..., there' Jimmy Page the biggest thief of American black music who ever lived....

It's a common occurence in rock music.  Zeppelin was just more blatant about it some of their songs. 

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »
Wasn't elvis the biggest thief of american black music who ever lived?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
Wasn't elvis the biggest thief of american black music who ever lived?

I don't think Elvis ripped off black artitsts as much as he made it acceptable for white people to like black peoples music.  Putting a white face on black music made it ok for whities to buy that type of music.  I'm not a fan of Elvis since IMO he's a poor imitation of the real deal.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Let's not just put Led Zeppelin in this group.  Eric Clapton should be in the list as well.  Though he finally did admit later on that he "borrowed" elements from those blues players.    A number of them went down to the South and took music/ideas/riffs from guys like Muddy Waters.

Wasn't there a rock band (maybe it was Zeppelin) who had a band member lose his mind but they continued to use all the songs he had written as their own even though he had been kicked out of the band?!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »
Wasn't there a rock band (maybe it was Zeppelin) who had a band member lose his mind but they continued to use all the songs he had written as their own even though he had been kicked out of the band?!

I think you're talking about Pink Floyd.  They took care of the guy for the rest of his life in more ways than one.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:58:53 AM »

I think you're talking about Pink Floyd.  They took care of the guy for the rest of his life in more ways than one.

It was pink floyd.  I was mistaken.  Though from what I heard from people close to the guy who lost his mind that they didn?t quite ?take care? of him the way they should have.  To be fair, when large sums of money are involved, you tend to here ?didn?t do what they should have?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
Let's not act like he was just some guy who had mental health issues and they threw him to the curb.  A big part of the reason Barrett had to be replaced was because he was constantly tripping on LSD and wasn't able to perform during concerts.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »
westkoast you may be thinking of the Gin Blossoms.  The guy who wrote all their hit songs was profoundly alcoholic.  When they kicked him out of the band they also found a way to steal his songwriting credits.  He eventually committed suicide.

There's probably more stories like that out there. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:51 PM »
Let's not act like he was just some guy who had mental health issues and they threw him to the curb.  A big part of the reason Barrett had to be replaced was because he was constantly tripping on LSD and wasn't able to perform during concerts.

No but that doesn't change the fact they stole from him and relatives/friends have said he died broke....

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

No but that doesn't change the fact they stole from him and relatives/friends have said he died broke....

I do not know what source you got your info from 'Koast but it is DEAD wrong, and is a great disservice to the Floyd, they knew what Syd had meant to the band, they lauded and lamented him in song for years afterward, and they made sure he was taken care of until his death from pancreatic cancer (not diabetes, as has been reported), so allow me this opportunity to set the record straight.

Syd Barrett did not die broke, he died as a recluse living a quiet life in his mothers house ( she had died years earlier) in Cambridge, his sister Rosemary looked after him, and the band provided for him and his care untill his death. In fact, even though he had no royalty rights because of the way things were done in the '60's, David Gilmour and Rick Wright made sure he was included in the bands royalty revenue, including 2 albums he never had anyting to do with, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. Wish You Were Here having been directly inspired by Barrett and The Wall based loosely on his spiral into insanity (if indeed, he really was insane). Syd never wanted for anything financially and was happiest in his garden, and chose to have little to do with music or Pink Floyd after his 2 solo albums were released.

Pink Floyd DID NOT steal any of his songs and in fact several songs he wrote and they recorded for Saucerful of Secrets never made the album and have never been released. Roger Waters and David Gilmour were very talented writers themselves and would not have needed to steal music from anyone, especially someone they both held in very high esteem.

Syd Barrett's problem was he was a massive drug user, LSD being the drug of choice, and he surrounded himself with friends other than his band that fed his obsession with it, some even accuse his "friends" of secretly lacing his food and tea with acid to keep him stoned. Waters and Wright realized the band could not continue this way and so they subtley pushed him out, bringing in their session and stage guitarist and only really talented musician, David Gilmour, to replace him, Barrett used to sit in the front row and just glare at his old friend whenever they were performing, and yet Gilmour fought more to take care of him than even Waters did, but they all knew that for the band to survive, its creator had to go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:01:22 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »

I do not know what source you got your info from 'Koast but it is DEAD wrong, and is a great disservice to the Floyd, they knew what Syd had meant to the band, they lauded and lamented him in song for years afterward, and they made sure he was taken care of until his death from pancreatic cancer (not diabetes, as has been reported), so allow me this opportunity to set the record straight.

Syd Barrett did not die broke, he died as a recluse living a quiet life in his mothers house ( she had died years earlier) in Cambridge, his sister Rosemary looked after him, and the band provided for him and his care untill his death. In fact, even though he had no royalty rights because of the way things were done in the '60's, David Gilmour and Rick Wright made sure he was included in the bands roalty revenue, including 2 albums he never had anyting to do with, Wish You Were Here and The Wall, Wish You Were Here having been directly inspired by Barrett and The Wall based loosely on his spiral into insanity (if indeed, he really was insane). Syd never wanted for anything financially and was happiest in his garden, and chose to have little to do with music or Pink Floyd after his 2 solo albums were released.

Pink Floyd DID NOT steal any of his songs and in fact several songs he wrote and they recorded for Saucerful of Secrets never made the album and have never been released. Roger Waters and David Gilmour were very talented writer themselves and would not have needed to steal music from anyone, especially someone they both held in very high esteem.

Syd Barrett's problem was he was a massive drug user, LSD being the drug of choice, and he surrounded himself with friends other than his band that fed his obsession with it, some even accuse his "friends" of secretly lacing his food and tea with acid to keep him stoned. Waters and Wright realized the band could not continue this way and so they subtley pushed him out, bringing in their session and stage guitarist and only really talented musician, David Gilmour, to replace him, Barrett used to sit in the front row and just glare at his old friend whenever they were performing, and yet Gilmour fought more to take care of him than even Waters did, but they all knew that for the band to survive, its creator had to go.

Ill try to find the link that I read it from, it was from a while ago so it may take a minute.  What I read was saying the opposite of what your saying.  Like I said though...when large sums of money are involved you always hear "so and so didn't do enough"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »

Syd Barrett did not die broke, he died as a recluse living a quiet life in his mothers house ( she had died years earlier) in Cambridge, his sister Rosemary looked after him, and the band provided for him and his care untill his death. In fact, even though he had no royalty rights because of the way things were done in the '60's, David Gilmour and Rick Wright made sure he was included in the bands roalty revenue, including 2 albums he never had anyting to do with, Wish You Were Here and The Wall, Wish You Were Here having been directly inspired by Barrett and The Wall based loosely on his spiral into insanity (if indeed, he really was insane). Syd never wanted for anything financially and was happiest in his garden, and chose to have little to do with music or Pink Floyd after his 2 solo albums were released.

Pink Floyd DID NOT steal any of his songs and in fact several songs he wrote and they recorded for Saucerful of Secrets never made the album and have never been released. Roger Waters and David Gilmour were very talented writer themselves and would not have needed to steal music from anyone, especially someone they both held in very high esteem.

That is pretty much the way I understand it as well, hence my comment about Floyd taking care of Syd for the rest of his life in more ways then one.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"