Author Topic: Theo's back!  (Read 5433 times)

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Theo's back!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »
And, BTW, I love the fact that this is a one-year deal.  If he ends up not being effective, it's not a loss.  And, hopefully, Smith returns in a year.

Miller/Williams/Ivey
Igoudala/Green/Rush
Young
Brand/Evans/Speights
Dalembert/Ratliff/Smith

I take it with the Ivey/Rush signings that Gordon is out of the picture for us?

Do you mean Jamont Gordon? I think there's still a very good chance we sign him.

I agree. He likely won't be on the active roster, so the number of point guards is irrelevant.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Theo's back!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
We brought in Theo as a back-up Center. If Speights turns out to be ready to contribute this year, we won't see Theo on the floor much. Neither Booth or Smith got significant minutes last year, although Smith was at times part of the rotation.

I agree that we should be looking for 55 games or so from this team, depending on how fast they integrate Brand into the offense.  It will be a huge change for the Sixers to have a post-up player and it will require a lot of work to maximize the potential.

I think the role players we brought in are thought to be better outside shooters than the ones they replaced. We will see, but they too are backups behind the 4 guards, Iguodala, Miller, Williams and Green.  They will only get minutes if those 4 don't put up points, not very likely!

At forward we got a lot better, adding Elton Brand, Speights and moving Thad Young to starting 3.  Evans is still there for back-up support.

At Center we are a little thin, with just Dalembert and now Theo to back him up.  If Speights can play Center he'll get the chance to earn some minutes. If not, the Sixers will have to try and make a trade, probably involving Evans.

The Sixers should be considered an elite team since they added Brand, but none of the other Sixers have established themselves as stars. Legitimately, Brand is a top 10 PF, possibly top 5.  Miller is probably a top 5 point guard.  Dalembert really is a top 10 center based on his production.  That leaves Iguodala and Young, both of whom the Sixers project as top 5 players at their positions. If this is correct, we should see a Championship here within the next few seasons, and the weakest link is Center.

The bench is deep at the guard spot, and seems solid at the forward spots. Lou Williams could start for a lot of teams in the NBA, and Willie for all his faults is a fine backup guard. Most teams will be pressed to stay with the Sixers subs.  Evans is a valuable role player, and Speights had a very good showing in Denver this summer, a lot depends on his ability to play now.

The Sixers have become one of the youngest and fastest teams in the NBA, with superior size and talent. Very few teams will be able to run with them or stop them from scoring. They will be as successful as their ability to score against good defensive teams, like the Celtics.  We won't be able to get a good read on that until later in the season, but we'll get plenty of indication by the way the team plays against Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland and Orlando.  If the Sixers handle them without too much trouble they should be considered serious contenders.  They have very good size for their starting 5 and no apparent weaknesses, except for being thin at Center.

I doubt the Sixers would have added Theo back if he can't play.  They really need a back-up Center because Sam has the propensity to get into foul trouble.