Author Topic: Team US kicking tail!  (Read 5618 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Team US kicking tail!
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »
Greece looked really good in the opening minutes and all through the first half.  Team USA then turned up the "Heat" and kicked thier tail going away.  By "Heat" I mean D-Wade was just an animal on both ends of the court.  Bosh was very impressive as well.  D-Wade has been the MVP so far IMO.

It was a fun game to watch, in the first half the Greeks did not back down.  Doug Collins made in interesting observation that Euro teams are front running teams, if they get behind they lose a little bit of their fire and confidence.  You could see the Greeks were hanging tough in the 1st half but when the US started pulling away in the 3rd the Greeks kinda slowed down.  Part of it is fatigue because the US has no drop off from their bench and just keep the pressure on non-stop when they choose to do so but the Greeks were just destroyed in the 3rd and faded fast.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Team US kicking tail!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »
The game vs Spain is going to be an even bigger test IMO.  They have a bit more NBA-caliber talent and Pau Gasol is going to be a tough cover for Bosh/Howard because of his finese. 

Though I am very happy with the team.  The talent is on par with what we had in 92 and that chemistry the 92 team had seems to be building with this team as well.  Everyone knows their role and everyone is playing very well.  The defense has been just off the charts because players trust and are helping one another.

To me it's great to see guys who will never play along side each other on the same squad.   Not even at the all-star game as players like Wade and James will most likely stay out East and players like Deron and Kobe will most likely stay out West.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »
The game vs Spain is going to be an even bigger test IMO.  They have a bit more NBA-caliber talent and Pau Gasol is going to be a tough cover for Bosh/Howard because of his finese. 

Though I am very happy with the team.  The talent is on par with what we had in 92 and that chemistry the 92 team had seems to be building with this team as well.  Everyone knows their role and everyone is playing very well.  The defense has been just off the charts because players trust and are helping one another.

To me it's great to see guys who will never play along side each other on the same squad.   Not even at the all-star game as players like Wade and James will most likely stay out East and players like Deron and Kobe will most likely stay out West.

Team defense has been amazing.  Guys are WAY over playing their man and when their man gets buy them there are two or three guys waiting for them in the paint.  It's like watching the Celtics in the Finals all over again.... ;)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
119-82.  DAYUMN!
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »
It really wasn't even that close. We gave them several uncontested threes in the 4th quarter, when the game was already decided. Ridiculous showing by our guys. When our defense and outside shooting is on, it's unfair.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »
For those who saw the game (anyone?) what does Ricky Rubios potential look like?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
For those who saw the game (anyone?) what does Ricky Rubios potential look like?

Can't find the box score?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
No.  Your large arse was in the way again.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »
From Blazers Edge

Ricky-gnition

Pritchard_tiny by Ben. on Aug 17, 2008 12:36 PM PDT

Ricky Rubio is starting to get ricky-diculous ricky-gnition thanks to his extended minutes in the Olympics.

Here's a recent profile from Pete Thamel in the New York Times.

"He doesn't play like a European," said Jim Boeheim, the head coach at Syracuse University and an assistant with Team U.S.A. "He plays like an American."

N.B.A. scouts and executives are not permitted to talk publicly about Rubio because he is not yet eligible for the draft. But an informal polling of three N.B.A. front office people yielded a consensus that he would be a top-five pick whenever he decided to come to America. What has impressed N.B.A. scouts is Rubio's defensive ability. He has long arms, quick feet and the strength to defend N.B.A. guards immediately, something that few American college players are ready to do.

"He's got the quickest hands that I've ever seen," one Eastern Conference executive said. "And the fact that he plays on the Spanish national team as a senior in high school shows the confidence that he brings to the table."

Sports Illustrated's Alexander Wolff chimes in:

But it's his defense that had me ready to offer Rubio a contract. You don't usually find defensive precociousness in young guards with show in their games.

He saved Spain's bacon in pool play against China, helping lead his team from 15 points down and somehow prising the ball on a crucial possession from China guard Liu Wei at the end of regulation. It's a sequence I'm still trying to sort out on the QuickTime Player of my brain.

The hoops cognoscenti are still trying to settle on the best "plays like" analogies. Pete Maravich is probably too easy -- too reflective of who he looks like. On defense, think Walt Frazier. On offense, Steve Nash. Or -- if he continues to grow from his current 6-foot-4 -- Magic Johnson, only with Stacey Augmon-ite tendencies.

A look from the San Jose Mercury-News' Ann Killion.

Rubio had four turnovers, eight points, three assists, three steals and three rebounds in 18-plus minutes. More than a decade younger than most of his Spanish teammates, Rubio also made plenty of no-look passes, bounce passes and an up-top pass to Pau Gasol for a dunk.

"I was nothing compared to him when I was 17," Gasol said earlier this month. Gasol was drafted when he was 20. "His maturity and confidence level is extremely high for his age."

Rubio looked as comfortable in the highest level of international play as most 17-year-olds look sitting on the couch watching UFC.

The best ESPN profile of Rubio is probably this one from ESPN the Magazine's Chad Nielsen.

The kid never spoke after games nor gave one-on-one interviews; neither his club nor his parents allowed it. The Rubios turned down million-euro endorsement deals to keep their superstar son's life as regular as possible. And scouts kept quiet about the Spanish Pistol Pete Maravich to avoid the NBA's hefty fine for commenting on underage prospects. Rubio lives in a bubble, but it is decidedly about to burst. As soon as the 2008 NBA draft ended, Ricky Rubio officially became one of the hottest prospects for 2009.

The best look at Rubio is probably this one from awhile back by Slam's Lang Whitaker.

Mr. Whitaker also checked in with this update after yesterday's Spain vs. USA game.

5. I've listened with interest the last year as Blazers fans have drooled over Rudy Fernandez. I saw him play in person last year when I saw Ricky Rubio play in Spain, and while he was talented, I didn't see him as the next Michael Jordan or anything, like some Blazers fans have pegged him. He's all arms and legs, really athletic, but he's also kind of wild. He finished today with 8 points, 4 boards and 3 assists, but I'm very curious as to how he'll fit into the halfcourt NBA game. I do know he looks like Brody from "The Hills."

6. Today was probably the first time many of you had a chance to see Ricky Rubio play. As you know, I've been driving the Ricky Rubio express for a while now. A couple of people at work on Friday told me they were excited to see what Ricky could do, and I tried to keep reminding them that he's still just 17 years old. That said, I thought he acquitted himself very well against Team USA. He played 18 minutes, scored 8 points, went to the line 6 times, had 3 boards, 3 assists and 3 steals. (He also was credited with 4 turnovers, although at least one of those was an alley-oop that Pau Gasol forgot to jump for.)

Ricky's a stat stuffer, a guy who can do a lot of things well. I thought he did a nice job controlling tempo for Spain and running their offense. He completed a couple of great passes, including a one-handed alley-oop off the dribble to Rudy Fernandez in the halfcourt offense. Ricky still needs to muscle up and improve his jumper, but for a 17 year old playing for the first time against the best team in the world, against guys he has posters of up on his walls, I'm not sure what more you can ask for.

(Oh, and for everyone who said Deron Williams would totally eat him up, Deron Williams fouled out. I'm just saying...)

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
Boy did they shut people up real fast in the media.  Chris Sheridan wrote an article questioning if they could get it done against Australia.  Get to work and check the score this morning...31 point win.  Again.  For the 3rd time.

One thing that is REALLY REALLY bothering me about Team USA is not the team but the actual "fans".  If you guys have paid attention to comments made on msnbc by "fans" you might be as annoyed as I am.  Instead of talking about how awesome this team is to watch they spend most of their time arguing about how much Kobe sucks and Lebron is overrated.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:16 PM »
Instead of talking about how awesome this team is to watch they spend most of their time arguing about how much Kobe sucks and Lebron is overrated.
:o  Kobe as a sidekick and not trying to be #1 makes him play so much better which is exactly what he is doing.  Also got his three point stroke back.
As to Lebron, as good as some of Kobes breakaway slams are, some of Lebrons steal/dunk combos are just rim rockin fantastic.  People who don't see Lebrons talent are on crack.

The 92 vs 08 comparison is a legit one.  I don't care to discuss who is better because it an endless argument.  However given the lower level of competition the dream team faced, the redeem teams wins are every bit as impressive.  Bird was not in his prime, nor was Magic.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »
Instead of talking about how awesome this team is to watch they spend most of their time arguing about how much Kobe sucks and Lebron is overrated.
:o  Kobe as a sidekick and not trying to be #1 makes him play so much better which is exactly what he is doing.  Also got his three point stroke back.
As to Lebron, as good as some of Kobes breakaway slams are, some of Lebrons steal/dunk combos are just rim rockin fantastic.  People who don't see Lebrons talent are on crack.

The 92 vs 08 comparison is a legit one.  I don't care to discuss who is better because it an endless argument.  However given the lower level of competition the dream team faced, the redeem teams wins are every bit as impressive.  Bird was not in his prime, nor was Magic.

I feel the same exact way.  To say Lebron is overrated then to cite the fact he lost to the Spurs in the finals 2 years ago as the reason why you say that....it makes me want to slap someone!  Lebron has been the best player on Team USA so far. 

Personally id love to have a debate about 92 vs 08 in terms of talent and team chemistry.  Though trying to argue about if Kobe sucks or if Lebron is overrated...well those are pointless IMO.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »
Boy did they shut people up real fast in the media.  Chris Sheridan wrote an article questioning if they could get it done against Australia.  Get to work and check the score this morning...31 point win.  Again.  For the 3rd time.

One thing that is REALLY REALLY bothering me about Team USA is not the team but the actual "fans".  If you guys have paid attention to comments made on msnbc by "fans" you might be as annoyed as I am.  Instead of talking about how awesome this team is to watch they spend most of their time arguing about how much Kobe sucks and Lebron is overrated.

That is really annoying considering D-Wade is playing head and shoulders above both of them.  Even Chris Bosh is playing better than Kobe and LeBron.

IMO the 08 team is the 2nd best, just a notch below the dream team.  The dream team was just more talented and deeper although the 08 is clearly superior on defense at more positions and deeper down the bench.  MJ, Pippen and DRob are excellent defenders but it seems everyone on the 08 team is playing awesome defense.  I'd hate to see Magic, Bird or Sir Charles trying to guard Paul, LeBron and Melo, it would be painful.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »

That is really annoying considering D-Wade is playing head and shoulders above both of them.  Even Chris Bosh is playing better than Kobe and LeBron.

IMO the 08 team is the 2nd best, just a notch below the dream team.  The dream team was just more talented and deeper although the 08 is clearly superior on defense at more positions and deeper down the bench.  MJ, Pippen and DRob are excellent defenders but it seems everyone on the 08 team is playing awesome defense.  I'd hate to see Magic, Bird or Sir Charles trying to guard Paul, LeBron and Melo, it would be painful.

Wade has been the most efficient scorer and the 3rd best defender (IMO)  but Lebron has been pretty good in many departments.  He def is not slacking in any department.    Not to mention Lebron and Kobe are the leaders of this squad so I think that gives them bonus points.  Clearly you can see Kobe's confidence (or to some cockiness) rubbing off on these players.   That confidence and swagger is not something they had the last two times we've got our butts kicked.

We are going to have to make a thread debating Redeem vs Dream Team's if our guys can pull off the gold.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 05:23:11 PM »
Wade has been the most efficient scorer and the 3rd best defender (IMO)  but Lebron has been pretty good in many departments.  He def is not slacking in any department.    Not to mention Lebron and Kobe are the leaders of this squad so I think that gives them bonus points.  Clearly you can see Kobe's confidence (or to some cockiness) rubbing off on these players.   That confidence and swagger is not something they had the last two times we've got our butts kicked.

We are going to have to make a thread debating Redeem vs Dream Team's if our guys can pull off the gold.
For those not living in a boxscore you can see Lebron doing all kinds of things that don't show up on the stat sheet.  And he's doing just fine on the stat sheet (assists, boards).  But things like "opponent decided not to even try shot because Lebron had him stuffed" or "helped set up steal by getting his man with the ball off balance" does not show up in the boxes.  He and the Kobster are setting each other up (as well as other teamates) for steals n stuff superbly.  Lebrons attitude is leading.  Wade is doing fine too but koast we are on the same page, Lebron is the man and Kobes functions much better as superb sidekick.