Author Topic: Spurs lose second draft picl to europe...first splitter, now gist...  (Read 2001 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs lose another drafted player to Europe
SpursReport.Com
Monday, August 11, 2008

A pro basketball club based in Biella, Italy is announcing that they have signed Spurs second-round draftee, James Gist, to a contract.

Pallacanestro Biella, otherwise known as Angelico Biella for sponsorship reasons, had been rumored to have signed Gist last week, but the Spurs denied those rumors and no official reports substantiated those rumors until now.

Now, the Italian team has released an official statement saying that Gist has indeed come to terms with the club and will be playing in Europe. "We are very excited to have James Gist joining our team," said coach Luca Bechi on the team's official website. "He comes from a prestegious university (Maryland) and he's a versatile athelete, from the best there is. He has a great mid-range jumper and has the ability to play very well around the rim."

Gist joins Tiago Splitter on the list of Spurs draftees who opted to play in Europe instead of developing within the Spurs' system or playing in San Antonio.

The Spurs have yet to comment on this news item, but fans in the SpursReport forums are not happy about the news.

Terms of the contract were not immediately available, but in the NBA second round picks and undrafted free agents usually get a non-guaranteed contract for the league minimum of around $400,000 with a team option for the second year if a team chooses. It is likely that Gist was offered a more lucrative deal in Italy.

Developing...

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

Re: Spurs lose second draft picl to europe...first splitter, now gist...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »
That's it, spurs no shot at the title this year

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:35:05 PM »
I never thought they would win it actually.  however, it does suck to have TWO wasted draft picks say "bye bye" because of money reasons for Euro teams...  Not so worried about Gist, I was mad that Splitter left though, he would have been a good addition. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:17:10 AM »
Do you think the Spurs are more unlucky than other teams with there picks going Euro?

Seems like this will become more of an issue in the future and will dip into the talent pool of the development league.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:51:33 AM »
Do you think the Spurs are more unlucky than other teams with there picks going Euro?

Seems like this will become more of an issue in the future and will dip into the talent pool of the development league.

A second rounder is no big deal...Gist was going to most likely be assigned to the NDBL anyway.  He actually could develop faster in Europe.  After a season or two with the Spurs still having his rights it should work out well.  The Spurs can watch his development (or lack thereof) before committing any money.

Splitter is a different situation.  He follows the Spurs pattern of using low firsts to draft young players in Europe and leaving them there for a year or two.  This year seems to really be the first that the Euro teams have stepped up to offer more money (and the weak dollar doesn't help) to low draft picks or mid level FAs.  That may take some rethinking of the model.  But then a couple of years of paying big euros for average NBA players may make the European teams rethink their monetary structure.  Is a Childress equivalent in a couple years going to get the same kind of dough that Childress got?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
A second rounder is no big deal...Gist was going to most likely be assigned to the NDBL anyway.  He actually could develop faster in Europe.  After a season or two with the Spurs still having his rights it should work out well.  The Spurs can watch his development (or lack thereof) before committing any money.

One problem with that is that if he does develop into a good player he's going to end up staying in the Euro leagues because he'll be able to get even more money after show casing his skills.  How much money could an NBA team commit?  Would it be enough to get a player back from the Euro league?

Splitter is a different situation.  He follows the Spurs pattern of using low firsts to draft young players in Europe and leaving them there for a year or two.  This year seems to really be the first that the Euro teams have stepped up to offer more money (and the weak dollar doesn't help) to low draft picks or mid level FAs.  That may take some rethinking of the model.  But then a couple of years of paying big euros for average NBA players may make the European teams rethink their monetary structure.  Is a Childress equivalent in a couple years going to get the same kind of dough that Childress got?

It guess it would depend on a bunch of things.  It could remain the same for guys like Childress or it could mean that guys like him get less money cause even more talented players start heading over there.  It will be interesting and IMO it means NBA teams are going to have to be even more concious of how much money they pay their stars in order to keep a solid supporting cast.  The NBA could go back to the one or two start team with not much more talent on the squad or very young guys supporting established stars.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:58:44 PM »

One problem with that is that if he does develop into a good player he's going to end up staying in the Euro leagues because he'll be able to get even more money after show casing his skills.  How much money could an NBA team commit?  Would it be enough to get a player back from the Euro league?

It guess it would depend on a bunch of things.  It could remain the same for guys like Childress or it could mean that guys like him get less money cause even more talented players start heading over there.  It will be interesting and IMO it means NBA teams are going to have to be even more concious of how much money they pay their stars in order to keep a solid supporting cast.  The NBA could go back to the one or two start team with not much more talent on the squad or very young guys supporting established stars.

With Gist it is actually easier than Splitter.  If Gist works out and can play, then they can pay him whatever they want, in fact more than a #1 pick.  Splitter though is stuck making $800K-$1 mil for his first 3 years.  It is virtually assured that given that he won't come over.  The only option the Spurs have is to renounce his rights, and then they can sign him as a FA, but then so can anyone else.  Would he pull a Boozer?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »

With Gist it is actually easier than Splitter.  If Gist works out and can play, then they can pay him whatever they want, in fact more than a #1 pick.  Splitter though is stuck making $800K-$1 mil for his first 3 years.  It is virtually assured that given that he won't come over.  The only option the Spurs have is to renounce his rights, and then they can sign him as a FA, but then so can anyone else.  Would he pull a Boozer?

Maybe Houston can figure out how to sign him like they did with Scola... :-C

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
Maybe Houston can figure out how to sign him like they did with Scola... :-C 
Might take offering Pop a whole bottle of wine for Gist.  ;)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
James Gist: "Spurs sent me to Europe for a year"
Brak Huerta, SpursReport
Tuesday, November 04, 2008

This past summer, with the 57th overall selection, the Spurs picked James Gist, a 6-9 forward for Maryland.

In his senior year, 21-year-old Gist was named to the All-ACC Second Team and ACC All-Defensive Team after averaging 15.9 points and 7.9 rebounds.

Gist looked fantastic during Summer League play for the team often leading the team in scoring, but instead of heading to training camp, he surprised many fans by signing with a pro basketball club based in Biella, Italy.

There had been rumor that the team signed Gist, but for over a week, the Spurs denied or otherwise quieted those rumors and no official reports were substantiated until later- not long after Gist had been introduced to the media in San Antonio.

As it turned out, Gist headed to Europe under the advice of Gregg Popovich.

Gist has finally checked in after quietly disappeaing to Italy.

"I graduated from college, got drafted in the NBA by the San Antonio Spurs, and now I am Biella Italy, a beautiful city about an hour drive from Milan," writes Gist on his blog.

"I will consider myself blessed through this process; it's been a roller coaster but a fun experience. Waiting to get my name called on draft day was a nerve racking experience but nothing compares to walking up to the podium to receive my college degree from the University of Maryland. Playing in the NBA has always been my dream, I was very disappointed when the Spurs decided to send me overseas to play for a year, but I trusted their judgment and after speaking to coach Popovich I felt more comfortable, how can I dispute the judgment of a hall of famer like him."

Can we expect to see Gist in a Spurs uniform next season? It's much too early to tell but his skills have been improving and "I feel like I am already off the charts compared to when I was in Maryland."

"The players here are more experienced and more precise, in college you can get away with a mistake on defense, but here you pay for that mistake immediately, players do not miss when they are open!"

For now, he's simply learning to enjoy his experience in Italy.

"Being away from my family and friends has been the most challenging situation I have to deal with over here," writes Gist. "The culture, food and people are so breathtaking! I have been on the road so I have had the opportunity to see a lot of places in Italy and it's really beautiful, my team mates are the best, I had to get used to driving the small cars and the narrow roads but everything else is pretty much nice."