Author Topic: Jason Smith Injures Knee  (Read 10381 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Smith Injures Knee
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:19:30 AM »
Theo!

That a name that you can't just say, you have to yell it!  Just like LB did every minute of every game that Ratliff played in philly.  You could hear it on every telecast...my wife still does her impression when she sees Theo in a highlight or game ;D.

I can hear LB's grating yell like it was yesterday.  Glad LB is gone, despite his success.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 10:54:30 AM »
Its things like this why I wish we could have convinced Minnesota to take Green instead of Carney/Booth.  Only negative of the off season.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
I hope this all at least conclusively proves SG1976 has at least some sort or source, becasue I couln't find this news anywhere else until this AM when the final news just hit the presses.  Here's the scoop from wiretap:
Philadelphia 76ers President and General Manager Ed Stefanski announced today that center Jason Smith suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee during normal basketball activity on Wednesday.

Smith was examined by team Physician Dr. Jack McPhilemy on Thursday evening and will receive a second opinion from Dr. Dave Altchek in the coming weeks.

No timetable has been set for his return. Additional updates will be provided when they become available.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
A little more detail:

The 76ers frontcourt depth suffered a blow yesterday when second-year backup center Jason Smith tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
Smith's agent, Marc Bartelstein, confirmed the injury, which occurred at a Las Vegas NBA camp in which Smith was participating.

The 76ers also confirmed the injury and said team Physician Dr. Jack McPhilemy examined Smith yesterday evening. The Sixers said Smith will receive a second opinion from Dr. Dave Altchek in the coming weeks.

Bartelstein said Smith planted his left leg while going up for a layup and called the injury "just one of those freak things."

Bartelstein said Smith will have surgery to repair the ACL and will most likely miss most of the 2008-09 season.

The 76ers said they would not put a timetable on his return.

"It's really unfortunate," Bartelstein said. "But he's a hard worker. He's going to get this taken care of and be back to 100 percent."

Smith, from Colorado State, was the first-round draft pick of the Miami Heat (20th overall) in the 2007 NBA Draft. The 76ers immediately traded for Smith, sending their pick, Daequan Cook, a 2009 second-round pick, and cash to Miami.

During his rookie season, Smith averaged 4.5 points and 3.0 rebounds in 14.5 minutes a game.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
I hope this all at least conclusively proves SG1976 has at least some sort or source, becasue I couln't find this news anywhere else until this AM when the final news just hit the presses.  Here's the scoop from wiretap:

Are we sure this wasn't reported on the 11 o'clock news? :-D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:52:20 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
Well, more minutes for Speights earlier in the season.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
I'm not terribly upset.  I think Speights was going to pass him in the depth chart, and probably deservedly so.  In my mind, this team is going to be better with speights getting minutes in the playoffs over Smith.  I'm not a huge fan of young players sitting on the bench, as I think it stunts development.  I think Thad getting minutes last year has helped us tremendously this year.  I think if Speights gets regular (not major, regular) minutes at the beginning of the year, it will increase his odds of being a contributor later in the year tremendously.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
What dabods said...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
What dabods said...

Agreed, but there will be games where we need shooters, and Smith at this point was one of their better shooters fro 18Ft.  Speights will get that rage, but is more a 15 ft and in jump shooter like Brand.

This is our new depth chart as I see it.  There will be lots of reserve minutes at SG and PF becasue the starters at those positions wil be the chief reserves at SF and C:

Miller/Lou/Ivey
Iguodala/Lou/Green/Rush/Ivey
Young/Iguodala/Rush
Brand/Evans/Speights
Sam/Brand/Speights

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »
I never saw Smith as more than 3rd center, at best, with too many weaknesses and only one slightly above average skill, which was grossly over rated by those i thought who ignroed all his numerous weaknesses.

Like i said, more minutes for speights

Maybe a blessing in disguise the sixers can take advantage of (as opposed to willie green blowing out his knee)

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »
They needed a true backup center anyway, so IMO it'll have more of an effect on Speights role, like others said. I guess they'll look to add two more big men now to fill out the roster.

Or maybe, it's time for.....

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
That is one damn impressive uni-brow.

If we were going to suffer an injury at least it was to sub in an area where we have good depth.  I expect them to sign a veteran big man and possibly a rookie FA big as well.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
I really hope we get Ratliff. I was always mad that he was traded and I might be able to get some closure seeing him back in a sixers uni one more time.

By the way, how old is Theo? 35 or so?

Nonetheless, he wouldn't be counted on for many minutes anyway.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »
I just looked it up, Theo is 35.

And SF76 also thinks they're looking at Magloire who just turned 30.

If you're looking for 8 minutes of defense off the bench when Dalembert sits or misses a few games, Theo has to be better suited for that role.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
Magliore is done at 30, don't let the age full anyone.  Ratliff and a rookie FA big would be fine.