Author Topic: Iguodala - Would You?  (Read 5196 times)

jemagee

Iguodala - Would You?
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »
So balls don't lie (yahoo nba blog) suggests trading Iguodala for Josh Howard (and in the process shedding willie green as well)

So why not give Iggy his 12-million per year, ship him to Dallas with Willie Green, and take Howard on? The Mavs get a Richard Jefferson-esque oop partner for Jason Kidd, someone to run enough with to dupe media types into thinking that Dallas is a fast-break team (like Kidd and Jefferson did in New Jersey), backcourt depth in Green, and they cut ties with Howard for a player almost four years younger.

Philly gets a smoother shooter who can create, defend, and knows how to contribute when the looks aren't there, or the looks aren't falling. Better yet, at two more years for 20 million and then a team option for 11 more, the 76ers stay in contract control. Also, Willie Green stinks.

I think it works, I think both sides do well, and I think fans of both teams would be happy with the deal one, three, and five years from now - even with, five years from now, Iguodala in his prime and Howard long gone from Philadelphia. Something about a Thaddeus Young.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Iguodala - Would You?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »
No. 

I'd consider it of Howard didn't have major character issues... well maybe I still would not consider it.  No.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:02:34 AM by tk76- »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:15 AM »
Does howard really have major character issues?  I mean, is smoking pot really all that uncommon to be considered major?

Sure, admitting to it like he did was STUPID, but if smoking classifies as major character issues, 80% of the nba probably has major character issues.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:35:38 AM »
Does howard really have major character issues?  I mean, is smoking pot really all that uncommon to be considered major?

Sure, admitting to it like he did was STUPID, but if smoking classifies as major character issues, 80% of the nba probably has major character issues.

That was kind of my thought, he's being penalized for honesty :) - plus he likes to drive fast, and i know everyone here NEVER exceeds the speed limit right?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »
I don't have any real issues with Josh Howard on a personal level but I wouldn't do this trade. I don't believe Howard is enough of an offensive force to warrant moving Iguodala for him. I'd rather pay Dre and hope his offensive game improves here rather than move him for Howard who's upside has just about been maxed out.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
If we do that, who is our SG?  Green?   ::)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:08 AM »
Getting your name all over the papers for taling about weed use and then street racing shows that you are a distraction at the very least.  2 issues in 6 months makes me wonder if he has poor judgement overall and it could be a fluke, or the tip of the iceburg.  Its not a deal breaker, but I wouldn't ignore it either.  You are talking a major peice of the franchise, so character issues do matter.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:13 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we do that, who is our SG?  Green?   

He's gone in the trade,

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
The weed and racing aren't character issues as much as clubbing it up after a loss in the playoffs, and I'm not even sure how heinous an act that is either. This scenario brings up a more pertinent question, IMO: is Thaddeus' ceiling/upside great enough to bank on him as the future cornerstone of the franchise, at the expense of Iguodala now?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:40:53 AM by Sub »

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »
I don't know if i agree or disagree about that, but the person who proposed the trade seems very high on the franchising future of thaddeus young (i just double checked to make sure i got that paragraph) the basic implication is that howrad makes the sixers more serious contenders NOW and that youngs ascensioin will continue and thus make us not miss iguodala when howard is 'old'

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
There is no "right" answer about how much of an issue going public about your weed use and being caught steet racing are.  I just think the majority of NBA players effectively keep their personal issues out of the press.  I see it as a red flag when any player is bringing negative attention on themselves twice in one summer.  It makes me wonder how good of a handle they have on being a high profile NBA player.

Again, its not a deal killer like using crack, domestic violence or killoing dogs.  IMO Its just a red flag- which I don't like to see tainting a team's front line players.

Howard is probably a cooler dude than Iguodala 9who seems more whiny and self centered), I have less doubts about where Iguodala's head is.

I also far prefer Iguodala as a player for this team.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »
I see no reason to move Iguodala right now unless his contract demands are completely insane. What's Josh Howard ceiling? I don't believe there's much room left and while he's better than Iguodala right now, he's not much better. When I look at Iguodala and his ceiling, I don't see this as being a trade I want to explore.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:06:06 PM »
I don't know if i agree or disagree about that, but the person who proposed the trade seems very high on the franchising future of thaddeus young (i just double checked to make sure i got that paragraph) the basic implication is that howrad makes the sixers more serious contenders NOW and that youngs ascensioin will continue and thus make us not miss iguodala when howard is 'old'

I took it to mean that Young ascention might mean that Howard would be gone after 2 years, since both are more SF's than SG, but Young will be so good we won't miss Howard when he is gone?

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
but Young will be so good we won't miss Howard when he is gone?

That's the way i read it, i read it that the team will be better NOW even with howard at guard (where he is listed as a g/f on nba.com) and that by the time the 'regret' would set in for moving iguodala cause he surpassed howard young would be a very good to great player and a lot less would be expected of howard.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 01:16:37 PM »
No.  Howard is not that much of a better player, is either butt stupid or lacks enough common sense to keep his mouth shut about being an off-season pot smoker during the middle of a playoff series.  Make your commentary during the off-season and it's a line or two on Sportscenter and goes away.  He made his statement when he should have been concentrating on the playoffs and nothing else, then had a very crappy play-off series.  Nothing he has done yet is a huge character issue, but the little things usually start to add up before the big blow-up comes.  Plus everyone lies about what they do.  Is he some bastion of honesty or is he doing other stuff that is bad enough he feels free to admit the lesser stuff he does?

He is not much of an upgrade over Iguodala, if any, and doesn't solve our need for a slick shooting off-guard.  If I trade Iggy I want to fill a major hole on the team, not grab another second tier player who is not a killer three point shooter or natural SG.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:57:53 PM by Skates »