Author Topic: ESPN reporting Okafor - 6/72...  (Read 8582 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: ESPN reporting Okafor - 6/72...
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

I think that Dalembert's style and strengths might be a better compliment to Brand than Okafor's.  The age difference isn't much, and Okafor has had some injury issues (back, I believe).  Okafor scored a little more last year, but he took 200 more shots.  He's also a terrible FT shooter.

Of all of the non-superstar, second tier centers in the league, who would be the best complement to Brand?  I am defining that tier pretty broadly as any reasonably productive starter not named Howard, Duncan, Shaq (for old time's sake), Oden (on potential) or Stoudemire.  Would it be a mobile shot blocker/rebounder/garbage scorer like Sam, Biedrins or Chandler, a high post guy capable like Bogut, Gasol or Brad Miller (insert Brad Miller "high" post joke here), or a bulkier rebounder like Kaman, Okafor or Al Jefferson?  Maybe a unique guy like Rasheed or Okur?  and if you pick a guy like Jefferson does that mean we have a potential perfect complement on our bench in Speights?

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:04 PM »
I'd take Chandler over all of them. And I don't totally trust Biedrins numbers, partly because he hasn't proven to be consistent. He'll have a run of games where he's getting five to six boards a night, then have 16.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
Sam would be perfect if he played within his limitations.  Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen.  Maybe Sam will be happy with all of the easy dunks and O Boards that can get now that Brand is here- but I have a hunch that he will be complaining about his lack of touches.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
I'd take Chandler over all of them. And I don't totally trust Biedrins numbers, partly because he hasn't proven to be consistent. He'll have a run of games where he's getting five to six boards a night, then have 16.

I like Chandler as well, he is a better straight up defender than Sammy, and more mobile and longer than Okafor, plus a very efficient shooter from the field.  Vintage Brad Miller would have been a good match up as well, he had more of a mean streak than Gasol or Bogut to complement his other skills.  Bogut still has potential to be more, but I think Gasol ahs been pretty much exposed as a big wussy.  Biedrins minutes vary greatly as does the way the team plays from game to game, sometimes they play a small line-up, sometimes it is a miniature one.  It is hard to say whether his numbers would be more consistent if he got more consistent minutes or vice versa.

One guy I did not mention was Bynum.  Some of the stories that come out of the LA papers really make me wonder if the kid has his head on straight, and if he doesn't, it sounds like it might be the fault of the owner's son.  Some weird stuff going on in that organization.  Jem is our local man on the street for LA goings on, what is the take on Bynum out there?

Sam would be perfect if he played within his limitations.  Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen.  Maybe Sam will be happy with all of the easy dunks and O Boards that can get now that Brand is here- but I have a hunch that he will be complaining about his lack of touches.

Isn't that pretty much what Chandler does?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »
Now that Ellis, Biedrins, and Okafor have re-signed, it can't be long before the other big name RFAs resolve their situations. Actually, Deng's August 4th deadline is coming up quickly.