Author Topic: Iguodala/Williams or Gordon/Deng  (Read 6751 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Iguodala/Williams or Gordon/Deng
« on: July 25, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
Real Quick: Which pair of RFAs would you rather have??

For me, it's Iguodala and Williams by a slight margin and that's really interesting given that last year, this would have been a laughable question. I don't know what Deng will develop into in this league. Is he Jamal Mashburn at his best? Is he capable of developing into a #1 scoring option on a contending team? I don't see that anymore.

jemagee

Re: Iguodala/Williams or Gordon/Deng
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »
Gordon Deng

Not because of Iguodala per se but because of Lou WIlliams, I think Gordon is a VAST improvement over lou williams and that deng is as good if not a bit better than iguodala

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
I would throw Childress/Smith in the mix- but we all know how well that turned out.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:58:12 PM »
I agree that I would want Gordon over Williams but given Willams' rise this season and the fact that he's substantially younger than everyone else, I don't know that I would rather take the 2 middle players of this group.

I got this off of the Bulls' forum...

Quote from: Bullsville
Quote from: Chi town
How is Louis Williams worth more than Gordon???

I don't see that.

Williams is 3 1/2 years younger.

Williams had a higher PER last year.

Williams is about the same size, yet he can play PG in addition to scoring.  (The Sixers are making him a PG, but he was a scorer in HS)

Williams already gets to the line more often, gets more assists, more steals, has a better a/to ratio.

Ben is currently the better 3-point shooter, but Williams has improved drastically each season (.222, .324, .359).

TS%- Ben .558, Williams .523

Ben has played 3 1/2 times more NBA minutes, Williams certainly has a lot more upside.

I'm not sure that I agree that Williams is worth more than Gordon, just saying that it certainly is an easy case to make if you want.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »
See...there's the flaw in his assumption, he's assuming that lou williams CAN play PG...the sixers hope he can play pg and plan to move him there, but i'm not sold on him as a point guard just yet.

COmparing Louis Williams numbers this past season to any previous season when he barely got any minutes also is a flawed argument in my point...he's really only had one season of substantiaol minutes.

Ben has played 3 1/2 times more NBA minutes, Williams certainly has a lot more upside.

I don't buy this anyone...i think he's enamored of williams becuase he's mroe of an unknown quantity and the grass is always greener syndrome, i know i don't agree with all his points of making the case....i think only about half are valid

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
The only things I agree with are the facts and not the parts about what Williams *might* do (might play PG, might have more upside). Williams did have the higher PER, did get to the line more, did average more assists, and did have a better assist to turnover ratio. Is he better than Gordon right now? Absolutely not but I do believe the gap is closing between the two while the gap between Iguodala and Deng widened last season.

I guess the question is do you want the best and worst player of this foursome or the the two middle guys. I think I'd take Dre and Lou right now but again... it's really close.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
Lou can potential be your bench scorer and your back-up PG.  Gordon does not play back-up pg (but maybe he can?) but is a much better scorer at this point.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »
What about Deng? What do you guys make of him at this point in his career? We've discussed Iguodala, Williams, and Gordon on this board many times. What do you think Deng will become in this league? Is he as good as Iguodala??

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
I think Deng has the potential to be better than Iguodala, but his injuries last year are more worrisome, assuming 100% healthy I'd give a slight edge long term to Luol Deng, and I see a bigger edge to gordon, hence why i picked deng gordon, i personally think all things being equal deng/gordon are better.

Course, for the sixers, deng gordon doesn't work as well cause of thaddeus young...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
Right now I would go with Iggy and Williams if I was building a team simply because they are both more versatile than their counterparts and would more flexible to build around, plus Deng's injuries worry me as well.  I think the question will be easier to ask after the upcoming year as Lou reaches more of his potential and we get to check out Deng's back.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
I think the question will be easier to ask after the upcoming year as Lou reaches more of his potential and we get to check out Deng's back.

Of course it'll be easier to ask then which is why I'm asking it now. :-)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
I think the question will be easier to ask after the upcoming year as Lou reaches more of his potential and we get to check out Deng's back.

Of course it'll be easier to ask then which is why I'm asking it now. :-)

But next year would we be comparing Deng to Iggy or to Thad?   :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
I'm not even bringing Thad into the equation because I believe he'll be better than all 4 of the players mentioned in the subject. Man, the Sixers really do have a STRONG future. It's unbelievable that we're at this point given how bleak things looked 18 months ago.

And if Speights actually meets his potential... well, let's just say that we can forget about the Celtics being our biggest rival and that we will get very acquainted with the Blazers in the Finals over the next 15 years.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
Iguodala/Williams

I'd take Iguodala alone over Deng and Gordon.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:55:41 PM »
Ditto