Author Topic: Childress really goes to Greece  (Read 7508 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Childress really goes to Greece
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
I'm no Josh Childress fan so I'm happy to see him go elsewhere but I do question how this will play out in the future. If the economy continues to struggle, it will be interested to see if any Euro Club takes a run at a star quality player from the NBA. Not that he's a star anymore, but if Marbury gets bought out by the Knicks, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to Italy as he said he would.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
Since it's an unheard of situation it's possible that the NBA treats it differently, that's all i was thinking...obviously, you already know how they'll deal with the situation that hasn't happened before?

They can't treat it differently unless there is a previously negotiated mechanism for doing so in the CBA, otherwise they can take no unilateral action since the CBA is a binding labor agreement between the Union and the league.  It also makes no sense to make an exception.  In the law in general and contracts in particular, each right or benefit is usually offset by a corresponding duty, obligation or other consideration.  Here the Hawks retain the benefit of being able to match any NBA team's future offer to Childress and have the corresponding obligation to keep his cap hold on the books.  If they wish to be free of that obligation they can do so by relinquishing their right of first refusal by renouncing Childress.  The same thing would apply if he went to be lumberjack or airline pilot.

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 01:04:54 PM »
Skates

are you a lawyer?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »
Skates

are you a lawyer?

How did you guess?  If I worked for David Stern or the Hawks right now I'm sure I would be pouring over the CBA looking for an appropriate loophole.  Actually, if I worked for the Hawks I would probably be pouring over the legal employment ads hoping to get a better job working for a smarter employer.

I can't wait to see the new TV ads (in 40 different languages), "FIBA, it's fantastic!!!"

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »
Wasn't a hard guess based on the post i read

Heck I was guessing that your primary focus is something to do with employment or labor law?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
According to Hollinger, the Hawks may look to sign Josh Smith quickly as a way to get some good news out about the Hawks' organization. Also of interest, Hollinger suggests the Hawks should go after Lou Williams as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Hawks-080723

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
But don't they have speedy claxton?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
They do but as Hollinger points out... Claxton is always injured and the Hawks have only 8 players on their roster and are in need of a 6th man.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
They do but as Hollinger points out... Claxton is always injured and the Hawks have only 8 players on their roster and are in need of a 6th man.

It's the hawks, they are useless - but i was kidding about claxton

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »
It's true. The Hawks just proved how bad of an organization they are when they more or less forced Childress to leave the US. I really don't have any worries about them coming after Lou but he does make sense for them on a lot opf different levels.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
According to Hollinger, the Hawks may look to sign Josh Smith quickly as a way to get some good news out about the Hawks' organization. Also of interest, Hollinger suggests the Hawks should go after Lou Williams as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Hawks-080723

The best they can offer is the MLE since they are over the cap, and I doubt they would even do that with them already paying big bucks to Bibby and Joe Johnson in the backcourt and having spent a first-rounder on Acie Law last year.  I would not be surprised to see them go after another swing-man type who will come cheaper, maybe Bonzi Wells.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »
Unless they renounce childress :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
Unless they renounce childress :)

No, they would have to renounce Smith also to get much below the cap: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

They are at 52M even before Smith's 8M cap hold.

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
I had no idea how much money atlanta had under/over the cap anyway :)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »
We assume that Ed would match a 5 year deal at the full MLE for Lou, right? Therefore there's really no reason to think the Hawks (or any team other than the Grizz) can land Williams and the Grizzlies have way too many 1/2s as it is.

My guess is the holdup with Williams is the number of years.