Author Topic: New York Governor signs stupid redundant bill into law  (Read 3376 times)

jemagee

New York Governor signs stupid redundant bill into law
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:42:47 PM »
I don't suppose making myopic jokes about a blind governor is funny?

New York Governor David Patterson has signed some of the most ... well, put it this way, if you like the government wasting time, then you're going to love the recently signed New York game bill. GamePolitics reports the legislation establishes an advisory council to conduct a study between games and real-world violence. It also requires -- here's the kicker -- new video game consoles to incorporate parental lockout features by 2010 and retail games to disclose ESRB ratings. News flash: All consoles already have parental lockout features built in and ESRB ratings are prominently displayed on each game's box and disc.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New York Governor signs stupid redundant bill into law
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:19:29 PM »
Isn't the joke on the legislators?

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »
Isn't the joke on the legislators?

The jokes on the people who live in New York state, but isn't it always?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »
I couldn't imagine how much time it took for them to put this together.  Hay let's ignore bad parenting and give parents passes for not teaching their children right from wrong.  Instead we need to stop video game violence for everyone!  As a person who grew up both listening to hip hop/playing video games from a very young age yet has not killed, robbed, or sold crack I find this idiotic, silly, and obviously a huge waste of money/time.

And hasn't parental locks been on systems for a while now?  I know the playstation 2 has a parental lock on it.  Or are they speaking about a parental lock for video games as well?  How is a 7 year old going to get to play GTA4 if his parents don't give him/her money to buy it or rent it and they are actually around to know what he/she is doing?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »
I couldn't imagine how much time it took for them to put this together.  Hay let's ignore bad parenting and give parents passes for not teaching their children right from wrong.  Instead we need to stop video game violence for everyone!  As a person who grew up both listening to hip hop/playing video games from a very young age yet has not killed, robbed, or sold crack I find this idiotic, silly, and obviously a huge waste of money/time.

And hasn't parental locks been on systems for a while now?  I know the playstation 2 has a parental lock on it.  Or are they speaking about a parental lock for video games as well?  How is a 7 year old going to get to play GTA4 if his parents don't give him/her money to buy it or rent it and they are actually around to know what he/she is doing?

I guess you should have spent a little more time reading and less time listening to hip hop and playing video games since your questions have already been answered and your comments are redundant.  Tell the truth, are you David Patterson?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
Yes, hence the use of the word redundant...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:07:11 AM »
Do either of you two realize that the parental lock outs on the playstation 2 are for DVDs and not the video games themselves? I believe that is true for the XBOX as well.   Please let me know where in that article it was specifically saying what the parental lock out would do.

Guess maybe you both should have spent more time reading what I said instead of trying so hard to get a sarcastic comment in?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:12:07 AM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
I'll trust the video game journalists over you...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »
Do either of you two realize that the parental lock outs on the playstation 2 are for DVDs and not the video games themselves? I believe that is true for the XBOX as well.   Please let me know where in that article it was specifically saying what the parental lock out would do.

Guess maybe you both should have spent more time reading what I said instead of trying so hard to get a sarcastic comment in?

::) Figgin psuedo-tech contractors.........

Appropriately taken from "Xbox for DUMMIES!"

http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/parental-controls-limiting-access-to-your-xbox/153062

"Each parent makes different decisions about what games his or her children play and the movies they watch. If you're worried about your kids making that decision without your input, you might want to investigate the Xbox 360 parental controls. The parental control system blocks access to material rated beyond certain limits by requiring a password. This way, you can watch any movie of any rating yourself and give permission for specific movies or games."
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
WOW did I say the Xbox 360? No I did not.  I don't have an XBOX 360 so I couldn't tell you.  I do however own a playstation 2 and know that it doesn't lock you out of anything but DVDs that are rated R or higher.

The playstation 2 is far and beyond the biggest selling console over the past 10 years. 

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »

So you didn't read the law yourself ?   Got it

I'm going on the assumption that the journalists know what the law says and means and how it's redundant or not, I do realize that you know everything about everything, but I'm still going to go with the journalists in the field doing more due dilligence in researching their story than you did.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »

So you didn't read the law yourself ?   Got it

I'm going on the assumption that the journalists know what the law says and means and how it's redundant or not, I do realize that you know everything about everything, but I'm still going to go with the journalists in the field doing more due dilligence in researching their story than you did.

I think maybe before you agree with WOW saying what I asked was redundant...that maybe you find out what the law actually was saying.  That would make sense wouldn't it?  Don't make a sarcastic remark towards someone if you don't know exactly what is being said either.  Parental lock out, to keep kids from playing certain games, is not in every system that is being sold right now.

And if anyone has come off as being all knowing and never wrong around here in such a short amount of time, it is you.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
I do realize that you know everything about everything, .....

Wrong...that would be ME!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 10:59:59 AM »
WOW did I say the Xbox 360? No I did not.  I don't have an XBOX 360 so I couldn't tell you.  I do however own a playstation 2 and know that it doesn't lock you out of anything but DVDs that are rated R or higher.

The playstation 2 is far and beyond the biggest selling console over the past 10 years. 

IF you had read the original post, it said NEW consoles by 2010.  New consoles are the XBox 360, Playstation 3 and the Wii.  There are probably others that I have not heard about but those are the big 3 and those are the latest generation consoles from those manufacturors.

Now I can see where there is room for interpretation in that I can buy a NEW Playstation 2 but I HIGHLY doubt you thought it through that far.  I'm just trying to throw you a life line here.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
Wrong...that would be ME!

WoW, someone's got to tell you this . . . and since you already detest me, I'll do it.

Based on how often you've been agreeing with J.E. Magee in the last couple of weeks, you have officially been dubbed Mini-Magee. It's been going around for a couple of days now, and I just didn't feel right passing it on behind your hack.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton