Author Topic: Semi-confirmed rumor - Childress signs with Euro team  (Read 2888 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Semi-confirmed rumor - Childress signs with Euro team
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »
I read a news story, in Italian, that stated Childress from the Atlanta Hawks signed with some Greek team for 20 million over 3 years.  They also stated the Greek team was going to take care of the taxes on the contract.  All told with the weakness of the dollar and the tax free money it works out to the equivalent of a 33 million dollar NBA contract.

I can't find the story anymore and I haven't read anything about this in the US media.  This is a pretty amazing story if true.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

Re: Semi-confirmed rumor - Childress signs with Euro team
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
The Childress going to greece rumor was all over the US basketball media lthe past 24 hours, not sure how you would have missed it...i mean, it's a sixth man leaving one of the most dysfunctional franchises in professional sports...it's a story, but it's not amazing to me...now, if he were spurning a real NBA franchise, then it becomes amazing, but it's the hawks

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:19:47 AM »
The Childress going to greece rumor was all over the US basketball media lthe past 24 hours, not sure how you would have missed it...i mean, it's a sixth man leaving one of the most dysfunctional franchises in professional sports...it's a story, but it's not amazing to me...now, if he were spurning a real NBA franchise, then it becomes amazing, but it's the hawks

I guess you did not read my post.

The rumors and stories have been floating around but please find ONE that states he signed.  My post stated that he SIGNED, that's a HUGE difference from the "considering an offer" stories that have been floating around.  My Italian is not all that great but the story said he accepted the offer, the link to the story is not working anymore or maybe it's blocked here at work. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:23:28 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:49 AM »
 Well I'll be more clear.

Since the US Media has been all over it for the past 24 hours already, if they had any indication that Childress signed, they'd probably be reporting it don't you think?

And like I also said, how amazing is it when someone bolts the hawks for more money?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
Since the US Media has been all over it for the past 24 hours already, if they had any indication that Childress signed, they'd probably be reporting it don't you think?

I would tend to agree but the Italian story stated the deal was done.  There were a couple of Greek stories but I could not make heads or tails of that language.  Maybe the US is a little embarrised or at a disadvantage trying to report on Euro happenings.  Then again the story could be bogus or maybe the knuckle dragging WOP's jumped the gun.  I guess I won't know for sure until there is US confirmation one way or another.  I'll also recheck the link when I get home.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:28:24 AM »
On top of that I think I rather be in Greece then Atlanta LOL
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »
On top of that I think I rather be in Greece then Atlanta LOL

More money, no taxes, shorter season, and no Hawks?  Who the hell WOULDNT be?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »
This is not the same story but it is from the same website I read at home (now it seems they are backing off and saying he flew there to touch the offer with his own hands? I don't speak Italian so I don't know for sure, the other story stated he had accepted. The title says there is a signature/signing.):

http://www.basketground.it/pub/138/show.jsp?id=16358&iso=82&is=138

Olympiacos-Childress, c?? la firma
Come gi? anticipato da BasketGround nel pomeriggio, Josh Childress ? volato al Pireo per incontrare la dirigenza dell?Olympiacos e toccare con mano l?offerta da venti milioni di dollari in tre anni (pi? bonus legati alla diversa tassazione tra Grecia e Stati Uniti) che avrebbe trovato riscontri positivi dall?ormai ex ala degli Atlanta Hakws: nel pomeriggio sarebbe addirittura arrivata la firma su un accordo record.

Scelto nel 2003 dagli Hawks, Childress ha concluso le quattro stagioni NBA fin qui giocate a 11.1 punti e 5.6 rimbalzi, tutte con la maglia degli Hawks che potevano pareggiare qualsiasi offerta che Childress avesse accettato da altre franchigie.

Gi? un anno fa i Reds avevano esplorato la carta NBA, avanzando un?offerta biennale da 10 milioni di dollari a Chris Webber che l?ex Pistons aveva praticamente accettato prima di un altrettanto clamoroso dietrofront.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »
This is not the same story but it is from the same website I read at home (now it seems they are backing off and saying he flew there to touch the offer with his own hands? I don't speak Italian so I don't know for sure, the other story stated he had accepted. The title says there is a signature/signing.):

Come gi? anticipato da BasketGround nel pomeriggio, Josh Childress ? volato al Pireo per incontrare la dirigenza dell?Olympiacos e toccare con mano l?offerta da venti milioni di dollari in tre anni (pi? bonus legati alla diversa tassazione tra Grecia e Stati Uniti) che avrebbe trovato riscontri positivi dall?ormai ex ala degli Atlanta Hakws: nel pomeriggio sarebbe addirittura arrivata la firma su un accordo record.

Scelto nel 2003 dagli Hawks, Childress ha concluso le quattro stagioni NBA fin qui giocate a 11.1 punti e 5.6 rimbalzi, tutte con la maglia degli Hawks che potevano pareggiare qualsiasi offerta che Childress avesse accettato da altre franchigie.

Gi? un anno fa i Reds avevano esplorato la carta NBA, avanzando un?offerta biennale da 10 milioni di dollari a Chris Webber che l?ex Pistons aveva praticamente accettato prima di un altrettanto clamoroso dietrofront.

Boy this was really helpful.  Keep up the good work.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

Boy this was really helpful.  Keep up the good work.

My apologies to the "English only" faction.  I'm sure there are other posters besides me who can get an idea about what the article is talking about.  Orale' pendejos! 

Greek Team - Childress have signed.

As anticipated blah blah blah, Josh Childress flew to blah to find the blah of the Greek Team (Olympiacos) to touch with his own hands the offer of 20 million over three years.   (plus bonuses blah blah blah) blah blah blah Atlanta Hawks, but the ?source? cannot confirm the agreement?

?Selected? in 2003 by the Hawks, Childress finished his fourth season in the NBA with 11.1 points and 5.6 rebounds blah blah something about a qualifying offer for Childress blah blah.

Something about the Red team exploring the NBA before making a 10 million dollar offer to Webber that the ex-Piston practically accepted but something blah blah..
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »
Like already anticipated from BasketGround in the afternoon, Josh Childress is flown to the Pireo in order to meet the leadership of the Olympiacos and to more touch with hand the offer from twenty million dollars in three years (bonus legacies to the various taxation between Greece and United States) that it would have found positive replies from by now the former wing of the Atlanta Hakws: in the afternoon quite the company would have arrived on an agreement record.

Chosen in 2003 from the Hawks, Childress has concluded four seasons NBA up to here played to 11.1 points and 5,6 bounces, all with the mesh of the Hawks that could pareggiare any offer that Childress had accepted from other exemptions.

Already a year it makes the Reds had explored paper NBA, being left over a biennial offer from 10 million dollars to Chris Webber that the former Pistons had practically accepted before an equally clamorous one dietrofront.

Babblefish is the sux heh...this is the best I could do.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »
Like already anticipated from BasketGround in the afternoon, Josh Childress is flown to the Pireo in order to meet the leadership of the Olympiacos and to more touch with hand the offer from twenty million dollars in three years (bonus legacies to the various taxation between Greece and United States) that it would have found positive replies from by now the former wing of the Atlanta Hakws: in the afternoon quite the company would have arrived on an agreement record.

Chosen in 2003 from the Hawks, Childress has concluded four seasons NBA up to here played to 11.1 points and 5,6 bounces, all with the mesh of the Hawks that could pareggiare any offer that Childress had accepted from other exemptions.

Already a year it makes the Reds had explored paper NBA, being left over a biennial offer from 10 million dollars to Chris Webber that the former Pistons had practically accepted before an equally clamorous one dietrofront.

Babblefish is the sux heh...this is the best I could do.

Kewl!  I wasn't that far off.  I can deal with Italian if they speak verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
AJC is reporting that he has signed the deal

Offline WayOutWest