Author Topic: Marcus Williams  (Read 5145 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Marcus Williams
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:40 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07212008/sports/nets/marcus_sees_job_fight_120813.htm

According to the NY Post with the Nets acquiring Keyon Dooling, Marcus Williams days in NJ could be numbered. When I consider that Lou Williams isn't really a PG, Miller has only a year left on his contract, and Speights has a solid summer league.... I think I would pull the trigger on a deal for Marcus Williams with Jason Smith as the bait.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Marcus Williams
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »
The problem is that they have a bunch of young bigs like Sean Williams, Josh Boone, Yi Jianlian, Kristic and Brook Lopez.  They apparently want a veteran player or two and are willing to deal Williams, Kristic, Williams and/or Boone for the right vet, preferably with a low cost long term deal (i.e.good value, rules out Reggie or WG although I would offer them) or a deal lasting two years or less (Miller is all we got).  I'm not sure we match up with them well without getting another team involved.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »
Smith for Williams?

No thanks, I'll keep the big guy with upside.

What exactly has Williams done over the past 2 years?  He can't score with Louis Williams and he actually has a lower career A:TO despite being a "true" PG. 

Maybe he'll shoot over 40% from the floor one day ::)

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
Didn't we already have this dicussion?

Williams days in new jersey have been numbered for weeks

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:23:50 PM »
I thought this was about the Marcus Williams that came out of Arizona last year.  I would rather have him on the Sixers than the one who plays for the Nets.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32:56 PM »
I thought this was about the Marcus Williams that came out of Arizona last year.  I would rather have him on the Sixers than the one who plays for the Nets.

That's brutal.

So, I'm going to say that Williams is a no go according to you guys.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »

That's brutal.

I was actualy being serious.  I like the kid from Arizona's potential more. 

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »

That's brutal.

Not by me, but like i said, discussed it to death...no one wants him, jason smith as a 3rd string center is more valuable

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
At this point I would like to pick him up in a package.  He has too little success in his history in the NBA to trade one to one of our few tradeable, yet expendable assets in Smith.  I would have moved Carney for him if he was still here.  In a bigger deal I would like to grab him and hope ne goes all Chauncet Billups on the Pistons for us.  If he is any good, Stefanski should know since he drafted him and had him as a player for 1.5 years. This is one cse where I really would trust Ed.

Jason and Reggie or Wilie for Williams and S&T Kristic I would love. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »

I'm with ya.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
I was actualy being serious.  I like the kid from Arizona's potential more. 

He's not much of a player, though. The Spurs could really use some "potential" on the wing, and they didn't want him. He's a D-League talent right now.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 07:18:52 AM »
Jersey's Marcus Williams is an efficient PG when you give him minutes, IMO. I want him. Maybe not "Smith and a 1st" want him, but I'd try very hard to acquire him.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:25:13 AM »
Query on the CBA rules:

I think we still have a $500,000 trade exception from the Korver deal.  We may have renounced it, but ESPN still lists ua as having it.  I know you can't combine it with another outgoing player in a trade to make salaries match in a trade.  We can sign or trade for guys making the minimum, around $750 K.  Hence, how we might pick up Steve Novak as rumored.  If we have the trade exception can we add it to the minimum so that we can trade a future second rounder or highly protected first for a guy like Marcus Williams who makes $1.2 million this year.  If so, with his diminished value trade-wise (everyone knows NJ wants to dump him) this might be a way to bargain shop for him without giving up a player from our already thin roster.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
f we have the trade exception can we add it to the minimum

No.

Offline carolina blue