Author Topic: Rumor on Philaphans that I'm posting here for Discussion purposes  (Read 5944 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
It was reported on the "news" that the Sixers were working on a S+T that would send Iggy and cap fillers (aka Evans and/or Green) for T-Mac.  I doubt there is any truth to this whatsoever.

T-Mac certainly doesn't help us shooting, he's an awful shooter.  T-Mac's just kinda the ultimate second banana who's always been pegged as a main guy.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor on Philaphans that I'm posting here for Discussion purposes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
I wasnted T-Mac 7 years ago when it was going to be for Hughes.  Now not so interested.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »
Ughhhhh!!!!!

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
Is this really worth discussing?  I mean does anyone think T-Mac is worth obtaining?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
Is this really worth discussing?  I mean does anyone think T-Mac is worth obtaining?

Apparently most of the people on PhilaPhans except for me and Ducky, mainly people with X's in their screen names.  ;D

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »
Color me Shocked

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »
Tmac's an amazing player, and IMO a better player than Iguodala.

That being said, I wouldn't look to do this just based on his injury history.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
T-Mac was an amazing player- but I am not a big fan of the player he has evolved into since his injuries.  He is no longer the slasher- now he shoots 300-500 three pointers a year at 29-33%.  He still puts up good assist and rebound numbers, and is unstoppable at times- but is nothing like the dynamic player he was before he developed the back issues.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »
Per SF1976
This trade rumor from WIP the other day that details were not spilled on....I found out what it was about.

Its not on the front burner..but there were some conversations of a trade that would send Reggie Evans and a signed and traded Andre Iguodala for Tracy McGrady. Filler would be added on both sides.

Its not close....it may not happen....but its still alive. Discussions are/were taking place.

There is something to liven up the otherwise boring day of Sixer news.

Count me as fan who is strongly opposed to the "win now at all costs" approach.  People talking about trading away Iguodala or Young for a to older vet so the Sixers can have a chnce at a championship in the next 2 years.

I'm sure many would disagree- but I'd rather watch a contending team for ten years that doesn't quite get over the hump or takes 6-7 years to win it all then be a one and done team and then have to blow it up and start from scratch.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
If you're one of those people who believes in such things, McGradys playoff record isn't encouraging

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »
Even if for arguments sake TMac was ready to have a career year, and TMAc/Miller/Brand were able to bring home a championship, I don't think I would enjoy it as much as the 83 team.

Miller, TMac and Brand would be akin to the Celtics this year.  They would be a mercenary team cobbled together for a 2-3 year run.  It would be a great team, and I would root for it.  I just would get the same enjoyment as seeing a team built up to a champion. 

Its one thing to add the Moses like peice that puts you over the top.  Its another thing to turn AI and Iguodala into Brand, Miller and TMac so that they can get a ring- even though none will ever be thought of as Sixers.  It would be a great GM accoplishement, but not really a Sixers one.

I am looking forward to a decade of prolonged excellence from the Brand to the Young era- with Iguodala and Lou being the glue players, the Toney,Cheeks, Jones that complemented the superstars.  Maybe the team never gets a championship bt I would enjoy the ride.  Especially if it meant Philly re-establishing as a premier NBA franchise.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
Brand, Miller and T-Mac are not nearly as good as Pierce, Garnett and Allen.  The T-Mac of 5 years ago was being compared to Kobe as the best all-around player in the game, but that time has long passed.  Miller is a nice PG, but that is about it.  Brand is a solid 20-10 guy who can block shots, but Garnett is a once in a life-time talent, especially at the defensive end where the Celtics really won their championship. 

McGrady is also an old  player for his age.  Coming into the league right out of high school menas a lot more miles on you legs and back and it shows big time on some guys like McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal.

The upgrade, if any, between Iguodala and McGrady is nothing like getting Ray Allen for Jeff Green or KG for Al Jefferson and junk.  If this team is going to win it will be with young legs and defense, McGrady doesn't have either any more.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »
I don't agree with Tk's assertion on HOW they win a title, a title is a title is a title as I see it...but T-mac just doesn't do it for me, he's one of those guys in the league I really don't want to root for and would have a hard time doing so...plus doesn't he have back issues? 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »
I don't agree with Tk's assertion on HOW they win a title, a title is a title is a title as I see it...but T-mac just doesn't do it for me, he's one of those guys in the league I really don't want to root for and would have a hard time doing so...plus doesn't he have back issues? 

Major, long term chromic back issues.  Ask why a team that has a top 2 center in the league (like T-Mac, when healthy) want to trade a "superstar" like McGrady for a "lesser" player like Iggy plus take on Reggie's contract (according to the rumor) when they have similar, but better guys in Scola and Landry at PF. 

All of the McGrady rumors this off-season smell of a team that wants to get rid of him.  He would be a big name splash, but not much more.  Iggy shot better from the floor, from the stripe and from the arc than McGrady last year, had more steals and played more games.  I am not a huge stats guy, but where is the major upgrade?  Don't tell me it is because McGrady is a franchise player and Iggy is not, because McGrady's record as a franchise player is none too impressive.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »
A certain poster on the other board is attributing this rumor to sf1976, for what it's worth.