Author Topic: Camby to Clippers for Second Rounder  (Read 12484 times)

jemagee

Re: Camby to Clippers for Second Rounder
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
This trade is dumb for the clippers

And donnie walsh is mad

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:21:51 PM »
By the way, doesn't this trade sort of show that Brand may be telling the truth about Sterling be back to his old ways?? Rather than overpay for a RFA, he has his team use it's cap space on a veteran C who has $8MIL owed to him this season and $7.5MIL owed to him next year.

Hmmm... a aging player with a cheap contract. How odd.

Offline Howardmgm3

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Since Camby's contract is over in two years....maybe the Clippers think that they will be a frontrunner for James, Wade, Bosh, etc.....

Yeah right..... ;)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
Not that I think LeBron or Wade would go there BUT... the Clippers will now have Camby's $7MIL, Tim Thomas' $6.4MIL, and Mobley's $9.8MIL deals all expiring in the summer of 2010. They figure to have around $30MIL in cap space that summer. They might not get LeBron or Wade but I wouldn't put it past them to land Bosh or Amare.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
By the way, doesn't this trade sort of show that Brand may be telling the truth about Sterling be back to his old ways?? Rather than overpay for a RFA, he has his team use it's cap space on a veteran C who has $8MIL owed to him this season and $7.5MIL owed to him next year.

It also shows just how big of a role the luxury tax plays.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »
The ESPN report almost makes it sound like the Nuggets are going to use this trade exception to improve their roster. I just can't see that happening unless they flip it to Chicago for Hinrich.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »
Nah, they trade for Gordon because they need another shooter.

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »

If Donald Sterling were in his 'old ways' - he wouldn't have done anything and just pocketed the salary savings, he at least made a move3 to get a veteran PF with some (diminishing) skills...and probably better than getting randolph.

This is different donald sterling, maybe not better, but not the old sterling

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:13:41 PM »
Since Camby's contract is over in two years....maybe the Clippers think that they will be a frontrunner for James, Wade, Bosh, etc.....

Yeah right..... ;)

Apologies to the east coast, but if you don't see the allure of being a super star in LA, I'm not sure I can help you, who knows where the lakers go in two years, maybe they aren't ascendant any more and there's a chance (small albeit) that the clippers can lure someone with the chance to make the OTHER LA team relevant...as big a tv market as NY but much easier fan base (and weather) to deal with

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 10:21:48 PM »
Apologies to the east coast, but if you don't see the allure of being a super star in LA, I'm not sure I can help you, who knows where the lakers go in two years, maybe they aren't ascendant any more and there's a chance (small albeit) that the clippers can lure someone with the chance to make the OTHER LA team relevant...as big a tv market as NY but much easier fan base (and weather) to deal with

I agree with what you're saying but didn't the Clippers just make their biggest splash in franchise history by signing Baron Davis? I like Davis but he's a far cry from the 2010 names that people are talking about. But as I said above, the Clips will have space and it is LA not Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure someone will go there.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
I just visited the Nuggets Board on RealGM, wow they are going through the stages of grief pretty quickly.  They get a big trade exception, but I doubt they use it.  Any player they get counts $2 against the cap for every $1 in salary they take on, plus they either take on someone else's salary dump or have to trade a bunch of draft picks to get a player in return for the exception since outgoing players can't be added to the exception.  Maybe not coming here, but Iverson will go somewhere this season.  The Nuggets will re-sign JR Smith with some of the Camby money, and yes, they will suck.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »
The Nuggets' board seems to feel the way any fan base should feel after such a trade: confused and bitter.

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 12:36:22 AM »
Hey i remember we got ripped off for Carney, Booth and a first rounder.  For some reason we handled it pretty well....for some reason ;D.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:16 AM »
According to Ric Bucher on SportsCenter....

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3491234&n8pe6c=2&categoryId=2459788

.... the Clippers are now a playoff team while the Nuggets are blowing up their team and getting ready to rebuild. For conversations sake, if the Nuggets were to trade Iverson, what teams would he be a fit with??

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 01:31:07 AM »
Hey i remember we got ripped off for Carney, Booth and a first rounder.  For some reason we handled it pretty well....for some reason ;D.

There's a *minor* difference between our situation and the Nuggets.  We were literally a day away from realizing the fruits of that salary dump, and likely were guaranteed that were we able to get to that number, that we would have our target.  The Nuggets are at best 11 months away from their prize, with no guarantee whatsoever.