Author Topic: RUMOR: Clippers to go after Andre Igs??? TAKE THAT SIXERS!  (Read 4917 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RUMOR: Clippers to go after Andre Igs??? TAKE THAT SIXERS!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »
I see one available guard who can not only replace Magette but make them stronger at that position and its Andre Ig.  That's it.

Iguodala is better than Magette actually in my opinion, he has more skills than just scoring, but that's a personal opinion.

OH yeah, ben gordon and luol deng say hi...ed stefanski wants to remind you that Andre Iguodala is a restricted free agent and he isn't going anywhere without the sixers ok.

He is a much better defender and can score just as well as Magette can.  Big improvement at that spot and with the number of talented 2 guards in the Western Conference I think it is important that they don't just grab someone who can put 20 points in a game.  That is not the only thing they need from that position.  Ben Gordon and Luol Deng can score but they are not as good of defenders as Corey Magette. Again like I said, there is only one player I see who can fully replace Magette and then some, that is Igs.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »
You don't think a healthy luol deng is as good a defender as corey maggette?

Now if you tell me deng isn't a shooting guard, maybe, but a healthy luol deng is probably better than Andre Iguodala.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »
You don't think a healthy luol deng is as good a defender as corey maggette?

Now if you tell me deng isn't a shooting guard, maybe, but a healthy luol deng is probably better than Andre Iguodala.

I wouldn't play him at the 2 because he's not a shooting guard and it would leave the Clippers short in the front court.

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 09:50:14 AM »
I wouldn't play him at the 2 because he's not a shooting guard and it would leave the Clippers short in the front court.

To whom are you referring?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »

To whom are you referring?

I would not put Deng at the 2 guard spot and force a smaller player to guard SFs like Lamar Odom or Kobe Bryant (both play the 3 during the course of a game) , T-Mac (if he's at the 3), Ron Artest, Carmelo, Durant, etc

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »
They're not equal players.  Iggy is a 2/3.  Deng is a 3/4. Deng is 6-9. 220. He's taller than Brand, but is outweighed by Elton.  Iggy is only 6-6 and 207.

The Sixers will get a huge boost out of Iggy this year if they can keep him.  For most of his career he's been forced to play the 3 spot because the Sixers were short on their front line.

It was a terrible mistake by Cheeks to keep Iggy at the 3 against the Pistons.  Iggy had real problems getting by Tayshaun Prince.  Against Billups or Hamilton he would have been too much for them to handle.  The Sixers had the opportunity since they now have Thad Young, who is a more natural 3.  Had Cheeks done that, as he did during the regular season when they beat the Pistons, the Sixers would have had a much better chance at an upset.

The addition of Brand adds depth to the Sixers front line and allows Andre to play his more appropriate position.  Having a strong option at the 3 like Thad Young now forces Cheeks to play him at the proper spot (where he should have an edge)  Iggy is good enough to be a 3, but can be physically overmatched, giving up a couple of inches and a couple of pounds to his opponents.  Against 2's he'll be dominant most nights.  Against Boston that's the difference between being guarded by Paul Pierce or Ray Allen.  Pierce is bigger and stronger than Iggy, but Iggy is bigger and stronger than Ray Allen, and it makes all the difference between winning and loosing.

The best teams are the ones who have better players at more positions and more depth. The Sixers if they are able to keep Igoudala and Williams have made a quantum leap up.  Just how far up depends on how well they play together and adjust to Brand. The nice thing is that Brand is surrounded by players who are mostly younger than he is, and they should only get better with experience. Their development should be hastened by having a team-mate as dominant at his position as Brand.

If we didn't have Thad Young, the Sixers might well have made a run at Deng, but seemed to prefer Josh Smith.

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »
The Sixers will get a huge boost out of Iggy this year if they can keep him.  For most of his career he's been forced to play the 3 spot because the Sixers were short on their front line.
Huh?  What position was he playing during the iverson era when iverson was starting at point guard?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
Rick we asked this same question during the playoffs....

What would it matter if Mo Cheeks put Igs at the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5?  No matter what Prince was going to guard him as the Pistons best one on one defender.   The call on who guards Andre is not Mo Cheeks...it's actually Flip Saunders in that situation.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 08:58:44 PM »
Let's hope the sixers don't make the same mistake twice, judging a players worth by a 6 game playoff performance where the team (this time) c hose to put the best defender on him and shut him down (as opposed to when the pistons made sam dalembert look awesome 3 or 4 years ago by ignoring him :) )

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »
What would it matter if Mo Cheeks put Igs at the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5?  No matter what Prince was going to guard him as the Pistons best one on one defender.   The call on who guards Andre is not Mo Cheeks...it's actually Flip Saunders in that situation

If the Pistons would have tried to have RIP guard Thad, Thad would have been down in the paint all game.

Starting willie green next to Iguodala gives the opponent the ability to put their best defender on Iguodala, and not have to worry about a mismatch.  Having someone of Young's size and inside scoring ability next to Iguodala and it makes that a much harder decision

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »
What would it matter if Mo Cheeks put Igs at the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5?  No matter what Prince was going to guard him as the Pistons best one on one defender.   The call on who guards Andre is not Mo Cheeks...it's actually Flip Saunders in that situation

If the Pistons would have tried to have RIP guard Thad, Thad would have been down in the paint all game.

Starting willie green next to Iguodala gives the opponent the ability to put their best defender on Iguodala, and not have to worry about a mismatch.  Having someone of Young's size and inside scoring ability next to Iguodala and it makes that a much harder decision

Given the choice you let Young beat you, Pistons rotate well so I don't know how effective Yound would be in the paint with all the Piston bigs.  Did not see much of the Sixers last year, mostly cause they suck and would cause HD signals to fade, but with EB joining them I expect more nationaly TV appearances for them.  On paper they should be in the top 4 in the EC.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 12:43:01 AM »
I'm watching Young go up against Coby Karl in summer league right now and I don't see him doing much, I can't imagine he's going to cause problems for Rip and the Pistons.  He has good size but I'm not sure how well he uses it inside, he does have the ability to go inside from the perimeter but how well does he actually play the post?  Not seeing much from him in this game, he's not getting the ball a lot so I can really make a call. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:40 AM »
Young is a very good finisher down low, with really nice touch in the paint.  He would have been effective against RIP.

I mean, shoot, when just looking at that playoff series, Young scored more points per 48 than Iguodala (18.3 to 16.2), with *slightly* better efficiency (48% to 33%), and that was as a 19 year old rookie vs Iguodala's 24 year old vet.  Cheeks was scared to use Young on the perimeter, as his outside shot and ballhandling were not developed enough.  As that progresses (and all indications are he will be the starting SF this year), the Sixers will present much more matchup problems for opponents (and a very big 2/3/4/5 combination).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:29:14 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:43 AM »
Young is a very good finisher down low, with really nice touch in the paint.  He would have been effective against RIP.

I mean, shoot, when just looking at that playoff series, Young scored more points per 48 than Iguodala (18.3 to 16.2), with *slightly* better efficiency (48% to 33%), and that was as a 19 year old rookie vs Iguodala's 24 year old vet.  Cheeks was scared to use Young on the perimeter, as his outside shot and ballhandling were not developed enough.  As that progresses (and all indications are he will be the starting SF this year), the Sixers will present much more matchup problems for opponents (and a very big 2/3/4/5 combination).

I kept an eye on him and for a 3 he has adequet ball handling abilities, as good as Marion IMO, so he can get to the rim against a perimeter defender like Rip.  It does seem that the Pistons are going to have to make adjustments on their defensive matchups and a guy like Prince is not going to be able to D up Igs the entire game.  The Sixers problem will be PG since you don't really have to guard Miller on the perimeter and they won't have to guard the other Sixers PG's at all.  Dumbalot...err...Dalembert is useless on offense continues to be useless on O unless he's trying to dunk.  Still, the Sixers are definately a team that will be there in the playoff mix, IMO where they finish will depend on what the Magic are able to do next season since I don't see the Sixers surpassing the Celts or Pistons next year.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
Summer league isn't exactly the most telling of anything either.

Just ask John Salmons and that Euro dude for GSW, Bellinari?