Author Topic: RUMOR: Clippers to go after Andre Igs??? TAKE THAT SIXERS!  (Read 4911 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
RUMOR: Clippers to go after Andre Igs??? TAKE THAT SIXERS!
« on: July 14, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
NBA Truth & Rumors section is reporting that the Clippers are looking at Andre Ig's as a FA they would persue.  Dunleavy is attending the Sixers summer league game vs the Denver Nuggets to "observe"

If the Sixers dont do everything in their powers to keep this from happening, they are idiots.  The Brand/Ig combo would be great for the fans and the franchise itself.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Re: RUMOR: Clippers to go after Andre Igs??? TAKE THAT SIXERS!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »
If the clippers primary restricted free agent target is Iguodala, they are their own idiots...this has been 'rumored' for a couple days now, and the rumor of who the clips are targeting starts with josh smith (who they've already met with) and okafor (you know, guys who can replace elton brand) before they get to iguodala.

But if the clips want iguodala that bad, negotiate a sign and trade so you don't have to match, get a couple picks and maybe deandre jordan, use newly created cap stuff to negotiate sign and trade for ben gordon with the bulls.

Not an ideal situation, but depends on how much you think andre iguodala is worth, if the clips offer him 12 mil first year, that's a 74 million dollar deal....that's a lot of money for a guy who isn't a super star and he doesn't really help the clippers solve their numerous issues, over paying him out of spite to the sixers seems very anti sterling and pretty stupid overall...they have a bigger need and there are restricted free agents out there who fill that need, so throw your money at them first.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »
If the clippers primary restricted free agent target is Iguodala, they are their own idiots...this has been 'rumored' for a couple days now, and the rumor of who the clips are targeting starts with josh smith (who they've already met with) and okafor (you know, guys who can replace elton brand) before they get to iguodala.

They need a guy to replace Corey Magette as well.  He was the leading scorer on that squad and also had the task of defending the better perimeter players the Clippers would face.  Igs would be an improvement over Magette if they were able to get him.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 03:53:55 PM »
Wouldn't you say that replacing elton brand is more important than replacing andre iguodala?  Wouldnn't you say it's easier to find a replacement level 2 guard than a replacement level power forward?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
Wouldn't you say that replacing elton brand is more important than replacing andre iguodala?  Wouldnn't you say it's easier to find a replacement level 2 guard than a replacement level power forward?

Replacing Brand is more important but very hard to do.  I don't see Josh Smith going to the Clippers and Okafor is not as good as Brand IMO.   Just because Brand is a more important piece to replace doesn't mean they can't pursue other players.  I don't quite get your logic here.  Since Brand was the bigger piece they should ignore all the other positions they need to get players at?  Is it impossible to go after two players at once?  Cuz I think the Celtics were able to do that.    Currently they don't have a starting point guard (Shaun is still gone), they don't have a 2 guard who can score and defend, and they don't have a power forward.

I see one available guard who can not only replace Magette but make them stronger at that position and its Andre Ig.  That's it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:05:13 PM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »
I see one available guard who can not only replace Magette but make them stronger at that position and its Andre Ig.  That's it.

Iguodala is better than Magette actually in my opinion, he has more skills than just scoring, but that's a personal opinion.

OH yeah, ben gordon and luol deng say hi...ed stefanski wants to remind you that Andre Iguodala is a restricted free agent and he isn't going anywhere without the sixers ok.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »
The Sixers have the right and ability to match any offer for Andre, and it is a virtual certainty that they will, unless someone makes him an over the top offer.  The salary cap isn't even an issue here, they can go over the cap to retain Andre if they have to.

It is good for the Sixers to allow the league to establish how much a player like Igoudala is actually worth.  The Sixers don't want to low-ball him, but at the same time they need to control their spending to make sure they can continue to add pieces.

In theory, the Sixers could give up Andre, and use Willie Green at the 2 spot.  They have the three spot taken care of with Young, and the PF spot with Brand.  Even without Andre, that's still a better line-up than they had last year. 

So if the Clippers or any other team wants to steal Andre away they can, by paying him more than the Sixers think he's worth. 

As for Igoudala himself, why should he want to run to a Mickey-Mouse team like the Clippers?  He is a budding star in his own right, finally teamed with a post-presence that will enhance his game, and a team with little chance of making the playoffs will make him an offer?  Ha, ha!  Got another joke for me?

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:21:53 PM »
In theory, the Sixers could give up Andre, and use Willie Green at the 2 spot.

If by in theory you mean willie green could start but the sixers would be a much worse team than if andre iguodala started, then yes, in theory they could use willie gree at the two spot.

However, Willie Green is not a good NBA player, he's an 8th man, who should never start and not be given multi year deals, Louis Williams deserves every minute of playing time Mo Cheeks even considers giving WIllie Green this season, willie green is a bad NBA basketball player....it's not as bad as going from elton brand to tim thomas, but it's damn close.

Iguodala tops out at very good 2nd or 3rd banana on a title contending team...the only way the clippers get him is an obscene contract offer, but if you start at 12 mil for the first year, there are sixers fans who would let him go.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Currently they don't have a starting point guard (Shaun is still gone) . . .

What position does Baron Davis play?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 06:08:30 PM »
There is a price at which the Sixers should let Igoudala go, as any good fan should know, no matter how much you like a player, you can't afford to pay anyone too much, if you want enough talent to get everyone rings.

I think Iggy is a good fit for any team, because of his versatility.  The better the players around him are, the better he will be, as he is difficult to guard.  He is good enough to be a starter on a Championship team, so he is a valuable piece.

But no one is going to pay him Kobe or KG money.  If they do, they're gambling that he will get to the next level as a player- a 25-30 Pts, 5+ boards, 5+ assists.  The Lakers wouldn't trade Kobe for him, and neither would anyone else.

The Sixers will match any reasonable offer, it's simply a matter of how unreasonable other teams want to be in pursuit of Iggy.  Who out there is a stud 2 guard away from a title? It isn't the cheapskate Clippers, that's for sure, Stirling hasn't shown one iota of interest in pursuing free agents, much less getting into a bidding war for what may be just an above average player, but not a superstar.

jeumage - I think a lineup of Miller, Green, Young, Brand and Dalembert is still better than Miller, Green, Igoudala, Evans and Dalembert. But obviously not as good as Miller, Igoudala, Young, Brand and Dalembert. That last line-up seems like a very strong group, possibly the best starting 5 in the East. I don't want Iggy to go, but my point is, it wouldn't be fatal, as the team has enough talent with Williams and/or Green that we'd be fine.  I think Willie can be a good NBA player, that he has the body and the work ethic and sufficient talent to be a starter in the league. He has had his ups and downs, and injuries and fighting for playing time, and he continues to come out on top.  Cheeks seems to like Willie.

The problem with Lou is, he's too small to be a 2 guard and Miller is a better point at the moment.  The next logical step would be to see Lou become the starting point and we trade Miller to clear more cap space. I like the idea of a line-up of Williams, Igoudala, Young, Brand, and Dalembert.

If someone makes a huge offer for Igoudala, the Sixers could use that cap space to go after Josh Smith!  What would you think of Miller, Smith, Young, Evans and Dalembert? We couldn't replace Iggy but we could get someone with enough talent to make it worthwhile at a certain number.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
Yes, any lineup that doesn't start reggie evans is a better lineup - however - this is what the sixers would more likely run out with no brand and iguodala staying

miller
green
iguodala
young
dalembert

The problem with lou is that he's not a point - he just isn't - he's like iverson lite - that's not a point guard - miller (in my opinon) needs to be traded now, before he walks, and the sixers need to get a point guard upgrad, kirk hinrich maybe, louis williams is a very good sixth man and like i said, should get all willie greens minutes, but i don't think he's a point guard, it's just not his nature.

What would you think of Miller, Smith, Young, Evans and Dalembert?

I think elton brand will probably starter over reggie evans and i don't think josh smith can play 2 guard :)

I'm not saying he should get kobe money, but in the nba players are over paid, and i think long term, the difference between a 60 and 70 million dollar contract shouldn't ham string an organization....now if the clippers offer iguodala a max deal, let em, work out a sign and trade and get some piocks, but I don't think they will and I don't even think Iguodala is a primary target for them.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »
dollar figures please.
If cheapie Stirling wanted to max out what could he offer Ig?  (Even if its just to drive up the price to the 6ers)

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
He could offer him a contract the size of which he offered to elton brand i guess, that was about 80 million wasn't it?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »
Yes, any lineup that doesn't start reggie evans is a better lineup - however - this is what the sixers would more likely run out with no brand and iguodala staying

miller
green
iguodala
young
dalembert

The problem with lou is that he's not a point - he just isn't - he's like iverson lite - that's not a point guard - miller (in my opinon) needs to be traded now, before he walks, and the sixers need to get a point guard upgrad, kirk hinrich maybe, louis williams is a very good sixth man and like i said, should get all willie greens minutes, but i don't think he's a point guard, it's just not his nature.

What would you think of Miller, Smith, Young, Evans and Dalembert?

I think elton brand will probably starter over reggie evans and i don't think josh smith can play 2 guard :)

I'm not saying he should get kobe money, but in the nba players are over paid, and i think long term, the difference between a 60 and 70 million dollar contract shouldn't ham string an organization....now if the clippers offer iguodala a max deal, let em, work out a sign and trade and get some piocks, but I don't think they will and I don't even think Iguodala is a primary target for them.

I'm not sure that Lou Williams isn't a point.  He was never groomed to be one in College- and he was too valuable as a shooter before he got to the pro's.  He has the quickness to be a point, and the ability to get to the basket.  What he is lacking is a better handle, and better floor visibility to make those passes.  But the Sixers just became a much easier team to run with the addition of Brand.  

Now Williams can come down the floor and find a big target in the middle, covered by two, and Sam Dalembert all alone waiting for the ball, or hit Thad or Iggy with a pass on their way to the hoop. If none of those options are open he can take it to the rack himself.  With the possibilities the Sixers point has now, the game should become very easy. He's had a year behind Andre and has had some significant game experience, including the fourth quarter of most games. Plus he has one of the best point guards as his head coach, who apparently thinks he can be a point.

You're right though, this is just noise, the Clippers aren't doing anything, if they were, they would have made an offer, not just talk about it! I'm still waiting to see if anyone makes a run at Iggy. Where are the offers for one of the better young players in the league? I just read that Brand was at a charity game in the Inner City (Got to love a guy who gets involved in the community right away!) and although he didn't play he was there in a uniform.  He also said that management assured him that they would match any offer for Iggy. He also said he expected Lou Williams (also a restricted free agent) to be back.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »
Louis Williams doesn't seem to have point guard instincts...i know he's the size of a point guard, but can you teach that, he's a shooter/scorer, and a damn fine one, he's like monta ellis light, (more equivalent comparison) but i don't think ellis can be converted to a point guard any more than I think louis williams can (or that sam dalembert can catch the ball on the run...)

There's no one out there really with cap room to make runs at players just yet, GSW has their own issues, and the clippers, plus you have a lot of 'similar value/similar tools' guys out there in deng, gordon, ellis, iguodala, etc....and I honestly think that no one wants to be the one to set the market.

Keep in mind, Deng, Gordon, Iguodala and Okafor all turned down substantial contract extensions last off season, and one could argue that none of them earned more than they were originally offered (the argument for iguodala seems to hinge on a small sample size, to me, of 6 games against the pistons where he was guarded by tayshaun prince and the pistons basically said, hey look if we shut him down we can beat the sixers) :)