Author Topic: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 5; 7/17 8PM Webcast  (Read 50773 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 4; 7/15 8PM NBATV, 8:30 Webcast
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »
I'm glad we got Brand instead of Josh Smith...

But with the way Speights looks I would have been real excited thinking about the mix and match line-ups using Josh Smith, Thad and Speights in a few years.  That would give the team tons of athleticism and good post play and the flexibility to send out big or small line-ups to torture the opposition.

jemagee

« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
For people more knowledgable than me...and I know it's summer league, but how would speights look at center?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »
For people more knowledgable than me...and I know it's summer league, but how would speights look at center?

Good question.  He has the quickness and jumper to be a prototypical PF, but with Brand on the team I see Speights as Sammy's successor.  Especially if Brand continues to be a good shot blocking presence.

I'm sure I am being premature, but sort of reminds me when the Phils signed Thome and the Ryan Howard arrived on the scene.  Fortunately, it looks like Speights is not a tweener, but a legit prospect at either position.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
How many years does Sammy have left on his contract?  Three?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »

Yes, but that makes him a big expiring contract the summer after next.  I'm not suggesting trading him before that.  Its not as imminent an issue as PG, but its really hard to replace a center without overpaying or getting a high draft pick.

I had hope the Sixers could get DeAndre Jordan to groom, but maybe Speights is big enough to fit the bill.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:38 PM »
That third year on Evans' contract is the killer.  I don't think it's the total amount of his contract, it's the sense around the league that no one wants to have anything but cap space in 2010.  Looking at the salaries on a lot of rosters, seeing something longer than a 2 year deal is practically a rarity.  Nachbar doesn't work in a sign and trade for Evans because NJ is the biggest shedder of salaries in advance of LeBron-a-palooza in 2010.  Same problem with WG.

Any trade with the Nets for Kristic and/or Nachbar will have to involve a third team that can give the Nets contracts of two year or less.  

Yes.  Try moving Sammy to Memphis, they have Jaric for three years at a lower number (plus Adrianna Lima in the stands).  Jaric is like Reggie, not a horrible player in the proper role, but often over-exposed and too long and lucrative of a contract. Involve NJ with Darko going to NJ, Kristic and Marcus Williams to Philly, maybe Nachbar amd Jason Smith thrown in somewhere.  Maybe you move Sammy that way, get a shooter or two and Kristic to share time at C with Speights and Smith if he stays.

noah

« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2008, 02:01:17 AM »
Some of us were already on the train ;)

Hah, true indeed, sir... I remember you were a Speights guy.... And probably most of us were.....

But I recall there were definitely some doubters out there.... Many wanted either Koufos, Arthur or DeAndre over Speights... Heck, even names like Hibbert, Ajinca and McGee bandied about as better alternatives.... Granted, it's early and he's only played 4 summer league games.... But this kid looks really impressive.  I couldn't be happier with the pick.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:39 AM »
Link
The Sixers and Wizards on playing right now. When Philly took Marreese Speights, I didn't boo, but I didn't cheer either. I took a wait-and-see approach. Although it's summer league, I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. The big body has a nice touch around the basket and brings energy to the floor. He is definitely good enough to crack Philly's regular rotation. Today he has combined with Jason Smith to score 20 of the Sixers' first 22 points.

Speights and Smith both had monster games as the Sixers rolled. Speights had 24 points and 13 rebounds, while Smith had 24 and 11.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »
Game archive up (a bit of dead air the first minute): http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/summer_league/full/summer08_phiwas_26.asx

Speights highlight clip from last night: http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/summer_league/speights_080716.asx

Game highlights (the announcer is not exactly sportscenter worthy- more like what you hear from a high school TV station) : http://nba-boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/summer_league/recap_summer08_phiwas_26.asx 

I think the webcast for tonnight's final SL game is taped delayed until 8:30.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
The game highlights announcer sounds like an intern from Bob's Broadcast School..... that was brutal. 

Speights highlights show off his offensive versatility. 

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
Who was the guy that was guarding him (with the headband)?

It showed a variety of skill, but that guy looked small...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »
Who was the guy that was guarding him (with the headband)?

It showed a variety of skill, but that guy looked small...

He drew 3 covers- 2 were bigger than him:
Blatche (32) and McGee (34)
and one Smaller: McGuire(5) headband

He wore everyone out,and was able to easily get off his turn around jumper against the two longer defenders.

jemagee

Re: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 5; 7/17 8PM Webcast
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »
Game is delayed on nba tv

does anyone watch WNBA?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Game Thread- Summer league- Game 5; 7/17 8PM Webcast
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
The game is online Live.