Author Topic: Sixers jump shooting  (Read 9801 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Sixers jump shooting
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »
Posts have been in almost every thread about the Sixers jump shooting issues and possible trades/FA to address the issue.  Thought it would be best to discuss this in one place.

1.  Do you think the team must do something to upgrade its shooting heading into next season?

2. How much can we count on improved shooting from players on the roster, and how long will it take to see this improvement?

3.  What kind of moves would you advocate making to upgrade the Sixers shooting?  Should they move Miller, Lou or Iguodala, or look for a less costly fix through FA or trading Evans?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers jump shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »
I think the team should sign a FA 3 point shooter if they can.  But really, I would say the Sixers shouldn't do anything until after they see Thad and Smith in the summer league.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »

1.  Do you think the team must do something to upgrade its shooting heading into next season?

I am fine heading into the season without another major move.  This year is more a trial period to see who benefits most by adding Brand, and what parts still need to be upgraded.  We have so many key parts that are still a work in progress (KLou, Thad, Smith and even Iguodala) so I'd rather wait at least a half season befoer breaking up the rest of the young nucleus.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
Yes, must get a good 3 point shooter...for the veterans minimum...that's very easy to do

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
2. How much can we count on improved shooting from players on the roster, and how long will it take to see this improvement?

-As posted befoer, Iguodala's jump shooting eFG% jumped from 37->42% last year.  Some of this is a statistical anomoly due to hitting moer 3's, but overall he has a rapidly improving jumper.  He may never be an "automatic" jumpshooter, but I think he will be a good enough shooter at SG or SF within 2 years.

-Thad, Smith, Lou and Speights all can become good jump shooters.  The nmore easy looks they get, the sooner they will be able to contribute as jump shooters.  It still might be several years before their jumpers are consistant enough to be relied on when they have to force contested shots (like Iguodala routinely has been foprced to do.)

-Miller and Brand have good jumpers out top 16 feet.  both are smart enough to only shoot within there range, and under balance.  There range won't help spread the defense, but they can't be left open, and are good enough to help maintain overall good floor balance.

-Sam will be dared to shoot, and likely won't show good judgement.  Although he can hit a jumper, I donubt he will ever be good enough to demand the respect of the defense.  Ideally he stays closer in where he can get lots of dunks off of all of the attention that Brand and Iguodala draw when they drive.

-3pt shooting:  Iguodala, Young, Smith, Green and Thad should be able to hit a decent percentage if leaft wide open.  Like last year, it will not be a be a major part of the teams offense.  In 2 years hopefully 2-3 names on that list will be a good weapon from 3 if they are left open.

Overall, just barely enough shooting to maintain proper s[pacing and floor balance.  I don't think it will kill there half court offence, but certainly an area that can use an upgrade.  to some degree that upgrade will occor with improvement from within, but also next summer atrue sniper will be added.

Things would be better if we has a PG with more range, but Miller brings so many other things to the table.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »
Sorry, i haven't been screening by posts for typos.  let me know if it makes things too painful to read.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:20:20 PM »
What's the word on Kareem Rush? Staying in Indy to be with his brother?

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
No word yet...probably won't be until the pacers solve their bigger problems (jamal tinsley)

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
I think improvement through free agency signings would be minimal at best...if you want a serious improvement you got the assets to make a trade...if you can find the right one

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
I think improvement through free agency signings would be minimal at best...if you want a serious improvement you got the assets to make a trade...if you can find the right one

I agree.  It would be grate to add a token shooter at the minimum, but I doubt they would play more than 8 mpg.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »

Yes, but there is no blockbuster move to be made right now IMO.  I don't think trading Iguodala would net the max value right now so I would sign him (if the price is reasonable).  Personally, I would wait until the trade deadline nears, then see what's out there for big moves.  If we move Miller at the deadline, maybe we find a 3pt shooting PG or maybe a 30 MPG backup SG/SF that can help in return for Evans/Smith/whoever. 

Very little - guys don't become really good shooters overnight.  %'s may go up a tad, but no one is likely to suddenly scare opposing D very much from deep. 

3.  What kind of moves would you advocate making to upgrade the Sixers shooting?  Should they move Miller, Lou or Iguodala, or look for a less costly fix through FA or trading Evans?

I would not move Miller or Andre right now unless it's considered a major upgrade.  It has to be more than just a guy who can shoot. 

Is there a PG replacement for Miller out there right now...Hinrich, Felton, Mo WIlliams?  I would keep Miller over all those guys right now.  If you can get those guys now, they are likely to still be available at the deadline so you can re-evaluate then.  Let's just play it out and see how the current major pieces play together.

Is there a solid SG that we can get for Iguodala right now...J. Richardson, Hamilton, Redd?  I'd consider the first 2 guys, but not 100% sold.  Redd I would pass on based on the contract.  He's way overpaid. 

As for the other guys, I would obviously move Evans or Green for a 3 pt shooter (mainly Green since I would not be comfortable with 2 young guys - Smith and Speights - as the primary backup PF/C's).  Can we get a shooter for Green? Doubtful.  Not sure I would move Lou unless it's an obvious shooting upgrade?  Who fits that profile and could be available?  I don't see anyone right now.

Personally, for now, I would just look to find a veteran SG/SF who can be had at the minimum to provide some bench shooting.  Also, take a shot on one of the undrafted rookies who can shoot.  Basically just a minor tweak or two.  A guy who probably won't play that much.

As for cheap ($$ wise) trade targets, I really like Morris Almond and Marco Belinelli.  Can either of those guys be acquired for Jason Smith?  If so, I do it in a second.  Redick is an interesting option too..not sure I would do Smith for him, but it's close.  The Evans for Matt Carroll thing is a decent idea...same with Evans for Radmanovic.  Basically just trading one flawed player for another.  Martell Webster is a guy who could be expendable in Portland...we have anything to use to get him?

Here's an interesting thought.  Let's say Phoenix bombs this year (maybe Shaq goes out with a major injury) and they decide to blow up the team.  Any chance they may take Miller's expiring deal (and something/someone else) in return for Nash.  Now that would be the perfect PG for this system (really any system).  He's only under contract for 2 more years so the age thing isn't an issue for me.  Gives us 1 year more than Miller does to find long term PG.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »
No word yet...probably won't be until the pacers solve their bigger problems (jamal tinsley)

Some stories out there that teams are looking at Tinsley.  It makes no sense since the Pacers have essentially committed to buying him out.  Why give up an asset for a guy like that?  If he gets bought out and somebody else grabs him first, so what.

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »
If any team takes on tinsley and his issues from the pacers, i'm pretty sure you'll see a player THEY have issues with going back to the pacers

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Fixer- good post.  We are not in agreement in terms of cost/benefit of moving Iguodala, but your reasoning is sound.  I guess we will see how things play out.

I am intrigued by the Nash idea.  He certainly would fit the profile of the up-tempo, sweet shooting PG we need, even if he was just a short term solution.  We also can mask his defensive weakness playing next to Iguodala and Thad.