Author Topic: Sixers jump shooting  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers jump shooting
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
If any team takes on tinsley and his issues from the pacers, i'm pretty sure you'll see a player THEY have issues with going back to the pacers

I like having a team where the biggest issues anyone seems to have are Iggy's over done whining to the refs.  It's refreshing.

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
I don't think the suns can realistically consider trading nash just yet

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »
I don't want to trade Jason Smith. Jason can be for the front court rotation what KK was for the shooting rotation. What i mean by that is KK served a important position on the team. A shooter whose range had to be respected thereby spreading the court for the slashers and the low post of which we had none, but would have if we had had one.

Jason can serve a different but very important function on this present team. A big man with an outside game. It will free up Brand on the low post to one on one match ups. Or Dalembert, Brand and Smith will kill teams on the offensive glass. They could play a zone with these three. Smith can run, so is good for the second unit fast break.

He is not the foundation piece, but he serves an important part to the rotation. if you trade him for the shooter we need, you have lost what he bring to the team. In my opinion, it ends up being a trade off.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
I think that if he Bulls get off to a crappy start and are out of the playoff mix early (a definite possibility, depending on Rose's development and what happens this summer with Deng and Gordon), they might be interested in a salary dump of Hinrich for Miller at the deadline...that could be a dangerous move for us if things are going well, but it certainly would be an upgrade in our outside shooting and the final piece of the puzzle in terms of setting our lineup for a while.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
I don't want to trade Jason Smith. Jason can be for the front court rotation what KK was for the shooting rotation. What i mean by that is KK served a important position on the team. A shooter whose range had to be respected thereby spreading the court for the slashers and the low post of which we had none, but would have if we had had one.

Jason can serve a different but very important function on this present team. A big man with an outside game. It will free up Brand on the low post to one on one match ups. Or Dalembert, Brand and Smith will kill teams on the offensive glass. They could play a zone with these three. Smith can run, so is good for the second unit fast break.

He is not the foundation piece, but he serves an important part to the rotation. if you trade him for the shooter we need, you have lost what he bring to the team. In my opinion, it ends up being a trade off.

One of Brand's strengths is his mid-range jumper.  Also, Speights is supposed to have decent range.  I'm not as worried about losing Smith as you are I guess. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »
For those people hoping to use Jason Smith to acquire a shooter this year I thought it would make sense to see who fits in a trade salary wise.  Smith makes a little over $1.32 million.  For a trade we could take back up to 125% of his salary + $100,000.  By my calculations that adds up to a hair over $1.8 million, not a big number by any means. 

Assume a one for one deal (Jason Smith won't get anyone to take Reggie or Willie), and remember that capped teams with lower salaried guys have to be around a $1.0 as a minimum or there would be too much money going the other way. 

I excluded any RFA's/FA's since their future salaries are unknown, although a S&T is a possibility if the salary is right and BYC rules don't kick in.  I also excluded draft picks just signed this year who can't be traded for a while and are not likely to be traded this soon anyway. I included most players, including shooters, PG's and some big guys.  I looked at the salaries of players signed for this season and here are the mathematical possibles:

Atlanta - none
Boston - none
Charlotte - Jared Dudley
Chicago - Cedric Simmons
Cleveland - none
Dallas - none
Denver - none
Detroit - Rodney Stuckey
Golden State - Marco Belinelli
Houston  - Aaron Brooks
Indiana - Travis Diener, Shawne Williams
LAC - Al Thornton
LAL - Jordan Farmar
Memphis - Javaris Crittenton, Kyle Lowry
Miami - Daequan Cook
Milwaukee - none
Minnesota - none
New Jersey - Maurice Ager, Marcus Williams, Sean Williams, Josh Boone
New Orleans - none
New York - Renaldo Balkman, Wilson Chandler, Mardy Collins
Oklahoma - Adrian Griffin
Orlando - none
Phoenix - Alando Tucker
Portland - none
Sacramento - Quincy Douby
San Antonio - Ime Udoka, Jacque Vaughn
Toronto - none
Utah - Morris Almond, Ronnie Price
Washington - Oleksiv Percherov, Nick Young

Not exactly a lot of tempting or realistic options there.  The most realistic/useful options are Cook from Miami, the Memphis PG's , Morris Almond from Utah, Wilson Chandler from NY and Tucker from Phoneix, and a number of those are stretches one way or another.  A S&T for a current low-end FA is still a possibility or a trade for a rookie later this year might work.  Slim pickings any way you look at it if you are using Jason Smith as trade bait.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:21:49 PM by Skates »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
I'd love to get Belinelli, but I doubt GS would go for it (but they do need a  shooting PF/C.)  Also Belinelli is a horibble defender, so might be a year of two (if ever) away from demanding serious minutes.  I would think it is at least worth talking to GS about.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
The most realistic/useful options are Cook from Miami

Wouldn't that be ironic.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
I guess Almond would be a decent option too- the guy can shoot.  I don't know if he would be equal value fro Smith (big for small.)

The team needs to add a bunch of players to the roster.  They have only 10.  Hopefully Ollie makes 11.  My guess is that Carrol and Jamont Gordon will make the team if no better options are found.  Maybe even Booth will be resigned if he is cut (what are the rules for that?)

Unfortunately I don't see exactly how the Sixers can keep their current core and get a legit 15-20MPG shooter this year.  Even if they got a taker for Evans, they would be very green and thin the frontcourt- and we know what kind of big you get for the minimum(Booth), so I'd rather have Evans on the lineup .  Its sort of pick your poison.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
They may have to take a chance on a guy like Shannon Brown or Tony Allen who is coming off of a disappointing rookie contract, but at least seemed to have shooting talent at one time and hope he suddenly blossoms.  Kareem Rush and Juan Dixon are younger vets that might fit.  Maurice Evans probably gets more than what we can pay him, but would be a nice fit.  Of course as FA's go a lot of younger guys in the range we are looking might be able to get paid better in Europe.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »
Do you really see any of the names you just mentioned as coming in and making much an impact?  I know we can't expect a min guy to give the team much.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »
Cherry picking someone off of another team's summer league team would seem a strong possibility as well.  How about Derrick Byars, remember him:

He is currently on the New Orleans Hornet's and Orlando Magic's rosters for the 2008 Summer League. Byars return to the NBA Summer League was successful, as he led the Magic in scoring in their first game against the New Jersey Nets with 15 points on 6 of 13 shooting.

Do you really see any of the names you just mentioned as coming in and making much an impact?  I know we can't expect a min guy to give the team much.

It would be catching lightning in a bottle.  We did a little bit of that in the past with guys like Dana Barros and Ron Anderson.  I remember liking Shannon Brown coming out of Michigan State, he seemed to have talent at the time.  Realistically, not a ton of hope for any of these guys, but if you are filling out a roster take a few chances and see what happens.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
I'd wait and see how this group mixes before trading a young big that looks to have the potential to be a rotation player.  A shooter may not be this team's biggest need, we won't know until they start playing.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »
Looking around the league for possible match-ups with Reggie Evans contract, 3 years or more left at a matching salary under the CBA trade rules turns up the following wing shooters:

Matt Carroll - Charlotte
Valdimir Radmanovich - LAL
John Salmons - Sacto (weakest shooter of the bunch, better all-around game than the others)
Mo Pedersen - NO

Other than Mo Pete I would not really be interested in much of this lot either.  I would be happy going into the season filling out the roster with a third veteran PG (Ollie, Juan Dixon, Royal Ivey are options), sign Calvin Booth as an end of the bench big guy if he gets cut in Minny, sign a couple of rookie/ summer league free agents who look like they have skills to develop, sign one veteran wing of either the young guy with something to prove type (Shannon Brown, Tony Allen) or the wily vet type (Finley etc.).

The only real way we add much shooting this summer is if circumstances convince us to trade Iggy.  Maybe we become trading partners with the Clips (because they love us so much right now) and swap Iggy for Eric Gordon, Cat Mobley and Deandre Jordan.   ;)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:43 PM »
Skates:

Listening to Brand's comments at that charity BB game at Temple today, he fully expects the Sixers to match any offers for Iggy...so it's going to have to be a BIG number to keep us from matching (we wouldn't want to piss off our new franchise guy right out of the chute by letting one of the reasons he came here in the first place walk away.