Author Topic: Is the Old Logo Our New Logo??  (Read 7835 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Is the Old Logo Our New Logo??
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »
What's going on with our logo???

When Josh Smith was here for his visit, the jumbotron showed a picture of Smith with the old Sixers' logo next to his picture. They also had a scrolling background on that picture of the Sixers homecourt that also showed the old logo.

Now, I just got an e-mail announcing the 5PM Press Conference and BAM... this is what I get.

Press Conference Live at 5PM

Tune in to Comcast SportsNet at 5pm (EST) for a live press conference as the 76ers announce a major transaction from the Wachovia Center.

More News: Sixers move Carney, Booth

Philadelphia 76ers President and General Manager Ed Stefanski announced today that the team has traded Calvin Booth, Rodney Carney, cash considerations and the rights to a conditional first-round pick received from Utah (acquired from the Jazz last December) to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for a protected second-round pick in 2010.

Read More

2008-09 Season Tickets starting at just $516

Season Tickets - distinctive benefits and rewards | 43 Game Flex Pass - 43 tickets to use when you want

So that's twice this off-season that I've seen the old logo used at "the" logo of this team. I'm all for bringing not only the old logo back and not only the sweet red jerseys from the 80's... but I'm all for ditching the rabbit and bringing Big Shot back. The Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks have all made minimal changes to their uniform and logo over the years, we should have done the same. It's not to late to correct a wrong...

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is the Old Logo Our New Logo??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
Looks like they're leaning toward it....like the Phils keep incorporating the baby blue. But there's been no word they've petitioned the league. Starting the Brand era would be a good time to shed the Iverson black and move on to a new look. Besides...how bad ass would it be to have those old sixer unis in the ECF against the green of the Cs?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »
Besides...how bad ass would it be to have those old sixer unis in the ECF against the green of the Cs?

I can see it now... the Lakers will be waiting in the wings with us leading Game 7 late in the 4th quarter by 15 of the ECF. The scene in Boston is of the Sixers' in their road red jerseys running down the clock with the classy Celtic fans chanting "beat l.a., Beat L.a., BEAT L.A.!"

::goosebumps::

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
Why do I feel like the Celtic fans are less classy now? Or is that just Red Sox goons?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »
I've had a hatred for Boston for a long time, but I've rewatched that game a handful of times over the years and it really is one of the classiest moments in sports' history.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
I live with a red sox fan and one of my bosses is a red sox fan, i've never had an issue with real red sox fans (bandwagoners of all kinds make me ill) i hate celtics fans...but seriously, my pure hatred is saved for new york sports teams - all of em - hope they fall into the ocean

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »
hey check out nba.com Elton brand is rocking the oldschool uni.

Offline pointguard86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »
i sure hope that they are reverting to the old unis.  link below for EB's retro uni.

http://www.nba.com/

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »
I think I'd be more excited about that than Elton Brand's signing
(ok, not really.  But I'd be really happy).

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
i sure hope that they are reverting to the old unis.  link below for EB's retro uni.

http://www.nba.com/

I love the red, white and blue look, except for that ridiculous uni that Katz came out with during the Barkley era, very cool to see Elton in the retro.  Thanks for the link.

Offline sixersftw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »
I think I'd be more excited about that than Elton Brand's signing
(ok, not really.  But I'd be really happy).

Well, I think you can be happy cause it looks like your getting both.  On sixers.com during the press conference Elton's jersey is oldschool.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
I would have felt a little better about us going back to the classic logo if the backdrop during the press conference didn't have the more recent gold logo on it. Still, I think Ed Stefanski (not just GM but also President) takes a lot of pride in this team's past and so perhaps he is the one pushing for us to make a return to the look we should have NEVER abandoned. The only reason that look was ditched was because Harold Katz lost his mind and was using gimmicks to try and drive up merchandise sales.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »
I think this answers it.  I think it's a promo for season ticket holders:
Sixers sign Brand - buy tix, get autographed jersey
Free Gift - Autographed Elton Brand retro jersey.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
Not retro as in dated looking.  Retro as in what the team wore when they were a dominant franchise.  I didn't mind the black jerseys, and maybe my age is showing- but the "retro" jerseys don't look dated at all.  The just look like what a good Sixers team should be wearing.

That said, not as big a fan of the old red road jerseys.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »
Now this is dated looking, in so many ways...