Author Topic: Is the Old Logo Our New Logo??  (Read 7839 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Old Logo Our New Logo??
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »
We had some good mojo going with the pic of Brand in the classic jersey, so why did you have to stir up painful memories?  Those were down days indeed.

Was is Sonny Hill who said how Bradley was going to change how the game was played?  Or maybe it was Nellie?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
It was Nellie but Larry Brown (Indiana's coach at the time) also LOVED Bradley. I now feel sick just talking about that.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 11:37:48 PM »
The sad thing is he looks relatively buff (for him) in that picture.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 11:58:40 PM »
When I think of Shawn Bradley... I always think of when Eddie Jones and the Lakers came into the Spectrum and Eddie took over. Oh how we loved Eddie Jones back in the day.

Speaking of Jones... what our current team is missing is Eddie Jones in his prime. If Iguodala can improve his outside shot, he could certainly be that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:03:24 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 08:34:55 AM »
Well... another day, another e-mail from the Sixers and another new gif file that features the old logo and colors. I'm telling you... aside from using a backdrop curtain during the Brand news conference, I haven't seen the newer logo (the worse one) used to represent this franchise.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
And the hits just keep on coming. I just got an e-mail from the Sixers to announce the signings of Rush and Ivey that featured not only the header above but now this graphic to buy tickets...

According to Jasner, he doesn't believe the Sixers will use the old jerseys anymore than they did last year and that we will see them once or twice as an alternative. It should also be known that Jasner is "pro-rabbit" which makes him lose any and all credibility with me.

As said before, aside from the backdrop curtain at Brand's signing I haven't seen the Sixers use the normal logo this summer. I think I will e-mail the Sixers directly to see what the deal is with this stuff.
Edit: I also just got this from Sixers.com....

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:11:37 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
That just doesn't look like elton brand to me

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
From what I remember from past teams, official logo changes have been announced well in advance and usually aren't surprises.  Remember, they'd want to get these printed and on sale ASAP.  I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 11:17:58 AM »
I really don't have my hopes up and in my heart of hearts, I believe this is just a marketing campaign.

That said, three things of interest are happening here.

1) In order for an NBA franchise to change it's logo and/or uniforms, it has to get approval from the league office ONE YEAR in advance. Dabods is right that these things tend to be announced well in advance but in this case, the team may not have had this planned for 12 months or more because...

2) This isn't a new logo or new uniform and so I wonder if such rules apply to this. The Sixers aren't putting anything new out, they're just using the old stuff again.

3) Ed Stefanski took over as President in December. He's not only the man making the decisions for this franchise on the court but he also has say in off the court matters. I don't think it's a huge stretch for him to say that he wants the team to use to the old look for now especially when you take into account that he was a huge fan of this team during that era.

Again, I think this is just a marketing ploy but given the events that have transpired over the past 9 months, I don't think it's that insane for the switch to happen. Hell, I've seen more of the old logo and uni's in the past month than I have in the past 15 years combined.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:20:05 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 11:21:53 AM »
If they were going to make the switch i'm sure they would have announced it already if not to get the new jerseys on the market for sale as soon as possible.

I'm thinking it's a 'marketing' ploy to get fans to be nostalgic for the 80s and the sixers/celtics rivalry, subliminally saying to them hey look it's coming back, we will be fighting the celtics for the title.

But then again, it's advertising, which i'm really not a fan of even though web marketing is a part of my job (and working on it absolutely SUCKS marketing a product that people don't know about and need explanation for in under 70 characters is fracking impossible)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 11:34:22 AM »
From what I remember from past teams, official logo changes have been announced well in advance and usually aren't surprises.  Remember, they'd want to get these printed and on sale ASAP.  I wouldn't get your hopes up.

If they were going to make the switch i'm sure they would have announced it already if not to get the new jerseys on the market for sale as soon as possible.

I agree with your statements BUT.......... have you guys looked at the sixers.com store over the past 12 months? The team doesn't even sell the newer jersey or any jersey of a current player on the roster. In fact, the only jersey the team does sell is the 80's style red Doctor J jersey.

As for the website being updated, well... it hasn't been updated yet at all. It still has the old "Run With Us" banner with Iguodala. I don't think it'll be long before the site is updated to show Brand and I imagine the new colors. The jersey the team is giving away with the Season Ticket campaign is a signed Elton Brand throwback. The billboards that have been put up in the area all have Brand and the old logo and old colors on them. Any and all e-mails have included the old logo with a photo of the old Brand jersey with the old colors.

Aside from holding a fashion show, I don't think the Sixers could do anymore to change the team colors and logo back to the old look. I e-mailed the guy who runs sixers.com and asked him if this is just a marketing campaign or if there's something more to it. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:36:05 AM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
Well... here's the answer from the Sixers....
Hello -

First let me say thank you for taking the time to email me your thoughts. It shows that you are a fan that truly cares about this team which is great.

In regards to the use of the red, white & blue, old logo and old uniforms - Last year we were part of the NBA Hardwood Classics Nights program which basically is a heritage program that celebrated the tradition of a franchise. One of the initiatives associated with that program was the use of the traditional colors, logos & uniforms. Last year we wore the uniforms about 10 times - with a lot of positive feedback, I might add.

So, this year we are celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the franchise. There is a 60th Anniversary logo already created to communicate that milestone. I am personally a big fan of the red, white and blue, the old ball logo and the old uniforms. So from a marketing standpoint I made a conscious effort to go back the traditional colors during this past season's playoffs. I decided to go back to the red, white and blue this season as well. With the support of Ed Stefanski, and others, it has been decided that we will celebrate the a 60th Anniversary by using the old ball logo more and wearing the old uniforms more this season.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. BTW - there is a large contingent of us that would like to keep the red, white and blue from here on out. Anyway, take care and thank you for your support.

Eric Blankenship
Vice President of Marketing
Comcast-Spectacor - Philadelphia 76ers
3601 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148
p 215.339.7618
f  215.339.7615
c 215.776.0033
eblankenship@comcast-spectacor.com
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:27:10 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

jemagee

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
I decided to go back to the red, white and blue this season as well.

The ego on this man :) That line just made me smile.

So basically more 'throwback' nights?

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
Seriously... apparently I e-mailed the right guy who was the one that decided to use the red, white, and blue. I didn't realize that the Sixers used the throwbacks 10 times last season. That's 1/8th of the season and according to Eric Blankenship.... the team will be using them even more this year so hopefully we'll see them a quarter of the time.