Author Topic: With Brand- A Change in the Sixer's Uptempo/Attacking Style?  (Read 8194 times)

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: With Brand- A Change in the Sixer's Uptempo/Attacking Style?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 10:44:46 AM »
I am. Big fan of the first film AND the director....this one should be really good

Are you a fan of Mike Mignola? Just about everything that guy has written has been pure gold for me and yes, I am hype for the deuce this weekend.

What I know of his work, yeah. I have to get more involved though. I'm a big Batman guy from WAY back. I have a huge Batman memorabilia collection currently collecting dust in my parents' basement. Nowhere to display it in my small rowhome. Hahahaha

His Batman work is GREAT

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
I've never read the hellboy comics, but as a former comic book geek i enjoy most movies based on comic books, including bulletproof monks.

The exception to the rule seems to be the 'graphic novels' not by frank miller, road to perditioni and history of violence just made me sleepy

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »
I am. Big fan of the first film AND the director....this one should be really good

Are you a fan of Mike Mignola? Just about everything that guy has written has been pure gold for me and yes, I am hype for the deuce this weekend.

What I know of his work, yeah. I have to get more involved though. I'm a big Batman guy from WAY back. I have a huge Batman memorabilia collection currently collecting dust in my parents' basement. Nowhere to display it in my small rowhome. Hahahaha

His Batman work is GREAT

Ebay baby :)

Anyone seen batman gotham knight yet?  I've heard mixed reviews, but i really want it to be good

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »
ANYTHING that you could do with Reggie Evans on the court, will be AT LEAST as effective with Elton Brand on the court.

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Except possibly for offensive rebounds...then again, brand probably has a much better chance of converting those offensive rebounds to, you know, points :)

I wonder - dbodner do you have access to this stat, does it exist - what percentage of reggie evans offensive rebounds were on his own misses?:)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
Anyone seen batman gotham knight yet?  I've heard mixed reviews, but i really want it to be good

I haven't seen it yet but people who's opinion I trust have said it was solid. It's somewhere near the top of NetFlix queue. In fact, it's now at the top.. I'll let you know how it is. The Hellboy Animated movies were a bit of a disappointment for me. They weren't terrible but they certainly didn't meet my expectations.

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »
I have low expectations for movies that debut on cartoon network, so i enjoyed them :)

Offline eagleye7377

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »
Brand can really run for a PF, and fits this system really well. And can be the outlet passer if needed also.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »
According to Brand, the "Philly Max" is not a reference to finance but will be a phrase used to describe the effort of the team as well. How cute.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/elton_brand_message_a.html

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
Brand should enhance the uptempo style on the defensive end by strengthening the Sixers defense and rebounding.  He won't be a finisher too often, unless he's slow up the floor and gets some by cherry-picking.

Iggy and Thad will be the runners, with Miller or Williams passing the ball forward.

Brand will have the most impact when the Sixers aren't getting easy baskets. When they are forced into a half-court set, their execution should improve dramatically over the past season.  Brand will be the primary scorer in the half-court and the options will depend on how the oppossing team defends him.  It is unlikely that Brand will be guarded by one man in the post, few teams have the personnel to do that.  The other player that comes over will leave his man unguarded.  Most likely it will be Sam's man more often than not, so Sam could see a lot of passes come his way when he is unguarded.

This is sort of a problem, since Sam isn't a great finisher or passer, but he will have lots of easy targets in Iggy and Young.

The Sixers will be able to keep the defending team off-balance using Brand as a decoy to spring Iggy and Thad loose.

The additions of Rush and Ivey also enable the Sixers to spread the floor and thin out defenses.  Teams covering the three will leave Iggy and Thad one on one and able to beat their men off the dribble. Teams that stay with Iggy and Thad, and manage to contain Brand will still have to worry about the three ball.

The Sixers seem to have dealt with all of their apparent weaknesses.  Now it's a matter of finding out if the new players really did address the problems. I would project that the Sixers will improve dramatically this season, the core that was so successful last year is intact, except for one minor player in Carney, and they have added three free agent players which addressed their needs, along with a first round pick that supports the Forward and Center spot.

At this point, it's a matter of how well they execute against specific teams.  Most nights their talent should be good enough to win games for them. Against the better teams, we'll find out how close we really are to contending, that is have the weaknesses been overcome to the point where they are strengths?

Shooting percentage was very poor last season and so was the overall plus-minus. In game terms they were weakest in slower tempo games, unable to execute in the half-court.  The team did improve in that area late last season, but were still subpar.  Against Detroit, the Sixers were unable to generate sufficient offense.  This year with Brand and the others, the Sixers have a much better shot.

Cheeks was unwilling to go big and put Thad at the 3 and Iggy at the 2. This is quite ironic and somewhat disapointing, since an injury forced the Sixers to play that line-up in a regular season game in Detroit, which they won.  This season, with Thad at the three, Prince now has to play someone his own size, and Billups has to play someone bigger. Rasheed and McDyess will have their hands full with Brand in the middle, and Rip will have to try to stay with Lou Williams on the defensive end.

I think the additions mean that the Sixers now are a better team than the Pistons of last season. That implies that they will now be an elite team.  They still won't be able to run on the Pistons, but it won't matter, they will execute better than Detroit in a half-court set, which means the Pistons will have to try and run to get easy baskets. They are now too old to run with a team as athletic as the Sixers.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »
I've never read the hellboy comics, but as a former comic book geek i enjoy most movies based on comic books, including bulletproof monks.

I'm looking forward to the Watchmen movie. Aside from the costumes on a couple of the characters, it looks phenomenal.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to the Watchmen movie. Aside from the costumes on a couple of the characters, it looks phenomenal.

Damn I have to read that again, i haven't read it since it first came out, i wonder if having those first edition issues today would be worth any money...sigh

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
Is there any possibility that when they trap defensively, they put Brand as the lone man back and have Sam come out on the trap? Just putting it out there based on Brands defensive skills and shotblocking ability.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »
Damn I have to read that again, i haven't read it since it first came out, i wonder if having those first edition issues today would be worth any money...sigh

My brother was a huge WM fan back in the day, which in turn got me interested. I feel like I've been hearing about a possible live action version for a decade.

jemagee

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 06:40:41 PM »
oh i loved it when i read it but it ws so long ago and i was a voracious comic book reader, spen my whole allowance every week (20 bucks) on comics....i remmber watchmen being cool and that blue dude being a freaking mess...but not much else :)_