Author Topic: With Brand- A Change in the Sixer's Uptempo/Attacking Style?  (Read 8248 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Don't mean to be a latter day Ricky by starting all of these new threads- but thought it would be interesting to see how Brand might change the teams dynamic (and gives us another post for Ducky,Debodner and TGP to trade barbs about the improtance of shooters ;) )

Supposedly, a great deal of the Sixers late season success (in spite having guys like Green and Evans out there nearly 30 mpg) was their finding an "identity" as an athletic, up-tempo, active defensive, fast breaking team.  This maximized there strengths while masking there lack of shooters, passers and low post scorers.

Brand is a good athlete, but will his addition mean a major shift in how much this team gets to benefit from getting out running and getting easy baskets.

On one hand, adding another good interior defender in Brand should help the defense, leading to more forced jumpers from the opposition, and more possible breaks off of blocks and long rebounds.

On the other hand, starting Brand is a far cry from the small ball athletic, line-up the Sixers had when they started Thad at PF.  Does playing 2 legits bigs decrease what the Sixers can do in terms of trapping and switching in order to create running opportunities?

No doubt the Sixers will at least have some better options in the half court now that Evans/Green will be replaced by Thad/Brand- but it will be interesting to see if Brand can be added without effecting the chemistry that allowed the Sixers to benefit from so many easy baskets and often wore opponent out.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: With Brand- A Change in the Sixer's Uptempo/Attacking Style?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »
If the Sixers could run with Evans in the lineup, they can do it with Brand in the lineup.  And really, the Sixers' starting 5 didn't run a whole lot, it was when they went to their bench that they took off.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
If the Sixers could run with Evans in the lineup, they can do it with Brand in the lineup.  And really, the Sixers' starting 5 didn't run a whole lot, it was when they went to their bench that they took off.

Ah ha. WE AGREE!

I've seen Brand play a number of times over the years but I never really paid attention to his outlet passing ability. Anyone have a feeling or some info on this??

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
They won't have to depend on it as much now, but they'll still be up-tempo.  We'll be better defensively with Brand/Young/Iggy.

Brand can play up-tempo.  Iggy, Young and LW can still hit the break, so can Green.  We'll miss Carney a bit, but Brand is such a HU-U-UGE upgrade...

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:23 PM »
I have to think we'll look to break a lot still but there may be times where Miller slows it down to set it up for Brand.

In Miller I Trust.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:52 PM »
Everyone's focusing on Brand's offense, but he's going to help us a ton defensively, and part of that is shotblocking which will help ignite the break. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »

Brand can play up-tempo.  Iggy, Young and LW can still hit the break, so can Green.  We'll miss Carney a bit, but Brand is such a HU-U-UGE upgrade...

KK, Carney, Booth and Utah #1 for Brand

Ohhh Yeahhhh!!!
----

I don't need to see Brand run, and he can pass well.  But can we trap with a Sam-Brand-Thad-Iguodala-Miller(LW) line-up that is much bigger overall than the line-ups the Sixers had used to generated TO's and running chances? 

Small ball was used to generate TO's.  Our projected starters next years are athletic, but in no way small.

Sam-Brand-Thad-Iguodala-Miller is average to above average size at every position.  Luckily they are quick too.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »
Everyone's focusing on Brand's offense, but he's going to help us a ton defensively, and part of that is shotblocking which will help ignite the break. 

As usual, you are right on point. Brand's presence should really help Sam out a lot when he comes to not only defending big boys with low post moves (think Sheed) but Brand should allow Sam to help out a lot more than just staying back and trying to protect the rim alone. My only regret with Brand is that we somehow didn't acquire him sooner.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:30:57 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »

Exactly, shot blocking and defensive rebounding help key the break.  He may not be Kevin Love with his outlet passing, but I am sure he is decent.  Iggy, Thad, Sammy, Smith and Green can run very well and Miller is just a step behind them with his ability to throw the long pass.  Speights is supposed to be a good runner for a man his size.  I see no problem being a running team, but one that won't completely sputter when we hit the half-court.  

Brand does not need to be a speedster, but I would avoid grabbing shooters who can shoot, but not run at least decently.  Having Brand stay back on the break at times is no big deal, but we need pressure D and speed on the perimeter.  No Pat Garrity type shooters please.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:48:24 PM by Skates »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:39:54 PM »
I agree, Sam will benefit on both ends by not having to cover for a PF who can't block shots/defend at a high level.  Sam will also find lots more easy dunks on the offensive end with all of the added attention to Brand.

Just like Iguodala will benefit from getting to be more of a facilitator and finisher now that he is the #2 offensive threat(and hopefully #3 when Thad emerges.)

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
That's good, cause anything aside from a dunk is an adventure with super sam

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »
Who? Slamuel?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
Who? Slamuel?

Get the whole ridiculous name correct - Slamuel Dalembeast.  ::)

Hey JBS, judging by your avatar I assume you are anxiously awaiting the Golden Army this weekend.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »
I am. Big fan of the first film AND the director....this one should be really good

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »
I am. Big fan of the first film AND the director....this one should be really good

Are you a fan of Mike Mignola? Just about everything that guy has written has been pure gold for me and yes, I am hype for the deuce this weekend.