Author Topic: Sixers get Brand... Now What?  (Read 27791 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers get Brand... Now What?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »
In order for us to have gotten Pietrus, we would have had to let Iguodala go.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
One thing I don't want the FO to do is suddenly try to make the team older.  Brand should at least be very good throughout his contract and if he starts slipping then Speights should be producing by then to reduce his workload. 

Sign our RFa's or S&T them for other young vets.  The FO did a great job in securing Brand without sacrificing most of our talented youth.  Carney + Korver are all that we spent in addition to money.  We still have our regular number of first rounders, plus a second rounder from Minnesota that will be decent.  Did not touch Iggy, Lou, Thad, Jason Smith or Speights to get Brand.  Excellent work.

A couple of fringe, seasoned shooters would be fine until we can get some on our own next year, but don't start making this a win now or else team.  Brand ain't that old and I want a run of success, not a flash in the pan.

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »
Please to be trading willie green for a bag of doritos, stale ok

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »
Michael Redd is 28, not too old, not too young.... JUST RIGHT to pair with Brand.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
I agree with Skates, build for the long haul- to win today and for the forseeable future.

Sorry to throw out another fantasy trade, but here is my trade:

Sam + WG
for
Okur + KK.

It would work for both teams.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Two things:

I don't see why trading an awesome defensive player who put up 20 ppg last year as well as 5 rpg and 5 apg and below average 3 point shooting and has been steadily improving in all facets of the game for a one dimensional player who's not great defensively or put up nearly the apg or rpg and was just barely above league average (and hasn't been over 40% in a season for a few seasons), plus is 4 years older and already in his prime makes any sense whatsoever.  The obsession with trading Iggy for a 3 point shooter is nice.  At least get one who makes over 40% if you're gonna do that.

Also, get over the obsession that because we signed Brand, we're suddenly gonna get old.  Larry Brown isn't here.  Billy King isn't here.  Ed Stefanski has done nothing to make me think he won't make every right decision.

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
I agree with Skates, build for the long haul- to win today and for the forseeable future.

Sorry to throw out another fantasy trade, but here is my trade:

Sam + WG
for
Okur + KK.

It would work for both teams.

In the way that the sixers commit theft and the jazz let them?

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »
Also, get over the obsession that because we signed Brand, we're suddenly gonna get old.  Larry Brown isn't here.  Billy King isn't here.  Ed Stefanski has done nothing to make me think he won't make every right decision.

WHo is obsessed over the sixers getting old?  They are older now than they were yesterday, and contrary to popular opinion, andre miller is not an unaging methusaleh...he will age...and probably starting next season, sadly

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 09:12:13 PM »
Also, get over the obsession that because we signed Brand, we're suddenly gonna get old.  Larry Brown isn't here.  Billy King isn't here.  Ed Stefanski has done nothing to make me think he won't make every right decision.

WHo is obsessed over the sixers getting old?  They are older now than they were yesterday, and contrary to popular opinion, andre miller is not an unaging methusaleh...he will age...and probably starting next season, sadly

I didn't mean it in that way.  There are a lot of people who are saying that the Sixers are start going to trade their young guys for 30something vets.  I just think that's ridiculous.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »
I didn't mean it in that way.  There are a lot of people who are saying that the Sixers are start going to trade their young guys for 30something vets.  I just think that's ridiculous.

Who on here said that?  Seriously....who said that?  I must have missed a lot of posts if it's some sort of epidemic of people posting unrealistic trades where the sixers get older

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »
Two things:

I don't see why trading an awesome defensive player who put up 20 ppg last year as well as 5 rpg and 5 apg and below average 3 point shooting and has been steadily improving in all facets of the game for a one dimensional player who's not great defensively or put up nearly the apg or rpg and was just barely above league average (and hasn't been over 40% in a season for a few seasons), plus is 4 years older and already in his prime makes any sense whatsoever.  The obsession with trading Iggy for a 3 point shooter is nice.  At least get one who makes over 40% if you're gonna do that.

You guys make my feet ticklish... seriously. Since when did 28 years become "old" by NBA standards?? I don't have a problem with us signing Iguodala but for all of the good Iguodala has done, he came up extremely short when it mattered and I don't believe anyone is convinced he's an actual 2 guard. As for getting someone who can shoot 40% and up from 3, that's fine. I hear that Ben Gordon guy is available and yes, he's a better fit at the 2 than Andre Iguodala is for this team at this point.

jemagee

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »
You guys make my feet ticklish... seriously. Since when did 28 years become "old" by NBA standards??

When your career ends in your mid 30s, late 20s is old...it's a different realtiy.

Kobe and KG are nba old, you know why?  They've been in the league 10+ years or so, and their bodies take a pounding...the best thing (sixer wise) that happened to brand is that he has one less year of tred and travel on his body due to the achilles injury.

PF bang a lot, they age quicker except for a few in the league.

In his last full season, Elton Brand was a top six player

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »
Two things:

I don't see why trading an awesome defensive player who put up 20 ppg last year as well as 5 rpg and 5 apg and below average 3 point shooting and has been steadily improving in all facets of the game for a one dimensional player who's not great defensively or put up nearly the apg or rpg and was just barely above league average (and hasn't been over 40% in a season for a few seasons), plus is 4 years older and already in his prime makes any sense whatsoever.  The obsession with trading Iggy for a 3 point shooter is nice.  At least get one who makes over 40% if you're gonna do that.

You guys make my feet ticklish... seriously. Since when did 28 years become "old" by NBA standards?? I don't have a problem with us signing Iguodala but for all of the good Iguodala has done, he came up extremely short when it mattered and I don't believe anyone is convinced he's an actual 2 guard. As for getting someone who can shoot 40% and up from 3, that's fine. I hear that Ben Gordon guy is available and yes, he's a better fit at the 2 than Andre Iguodala is for this team at this point.

Fine, if you want a guy who can shoot 40% from 3, get one.  Michael Redd hasn't done that in the past 3 seasons.  And I'm convinced he's an actual 2 guard because I don't go by things like "a shooting guard has to get his point from beyond the arc instead of driving and slashing and getting to the line".

jemagee

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »
how many people shoot 40% from the three for a full season and are taking enough attempts for that 40% to matter?

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
In that case, old players are AWESOME! Didn't Kobe win the MVP this year? Didn't Garnett win Defensive Player of the Year? Didn't both of their teams play in the Finals. Call me crazy... but I love older players. Seriously... 25 years is too long.