Author Topic: So...how much does Miller have left in the tank?  (Read 4714 times)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
So...how much does Miller have left in the tank?
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
Well...you've got to think that - if we do get Brand - that Miller was a part of the pep squad that convinced him to come here (Miller...and a bunch of friends named "Benjamin"...), which leads me to think that 1) Stefanski has had a word or two with Miller in the past day or so, and 2) an extension to Miller is probably in the cards...so...

Do you think that Miller has the goods to play like he did last season for another 2-3 years?

While it did seem to me that he was worn-down by the end of the Detroit series, he was also asked to carry a TON of the load for big chunks of the season...and he will have much more help going forward.  Still, I must admit, as much of a Miller backer as I have been, I was also ready to wipe my hands of the man and move on...and if Brand signs here, I'm guessing that Miller will be here for a while as well.  I think that - with Brand here (as well as - somehow - a shooter...is Eddie House available?), and with improvements from the rest of the crew, I think that Miller can give us solid PG play for another 2-3 years.

Thoughts?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: So...how much does Miller have left in the tank?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
He doesn't rely on anything that gets worse with age.  He relies totally on craftiness and instincts.  Hell, he can't get more than 3 inches off the ground when he jumps.  Still, I wouldn't want to ask him to score 17 ppg too much more.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:43:10 PM »
I think Miller has plenty left considering his style and savvy. He's a leader.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
My concern is his defense.  He can lose 1/2 a step on offense and it doesn't matter.  But he loses 1/2 a step on defense and we have a problem.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:45:42 PM »
Just as Ducky said, Miller's entire career has been based on his head and not his feet. The fact that he has also been able to avoid injuries leads me to think he's got three more SOLID seasons left in him. I believe he was quoted earlier in the year as saying that he wants to play until he's 37. His vertical might slip from 3 inches to 2 by then and his first step might not be as devastating as it is now.... :-).... but I think he can make it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »
I think it can be debated who has more left in their tank- Miller or Brand.  Brand is younger, but he is also takes a lot more pounding.

I would think they will both be good players for 2-3 years, and I expect the rest of the team will dramatically improve to more than compensate for any decline.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
So when Brand is 31... he's almost run out of gas according to you, right? Aside from this past season, he's had a fairly healthy career. Here's a list of big men who are currently playing at decent levels...

Shaq (36): Won a title at 34
Camby (34)
Sheed (33)
Jamison (32)
Duncan (32)
Garnett (32)

I don't believe Duncan or Garnett are going to fall off of the face of the earth in the next 2 years at age 32 so why is Brand going to drop off at age 29???????

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
I'm extremely high on Brand.  I saw him as a superstar level producer the yeasr before the injury- and I'm not referring to his "Rescue Dawn."  I put him right there just a hair below KG and Duncan.

I see him as a potential 23/10.5/2 guy for the Sixers for 2-3 years.

then I see him as more of a 17/8.5/1.5 guy from 32-5 as the rest of the team (Young, Iguodala, Lou, Speights) are ready to carry more of the load.

I can see how maybe I was misinterpretted, but come on now, have you ever seen me that far off the mark...

-O.K., don't answer that.  And glad to have some basketball to talk about.  A whole lot more interesting than discussing the merits of Melrose place vs 90210.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:22:30 PM by tk76- »

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:01:01 PM »
By the way, Rescue Dawn was a good movie for anyone who likes Christian Bale and good acting.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
and war movies :)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »
Do people see Miller as a CHiP level PG?  I really don't, primarily because I think his D is already kind of shoddy and won't get any better as he gets older.  When it comes time to talk extension with him I would be very cautious with years and money.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Has Miller ever seen the 2nd Rd of the playoffs? I don't know if his is a CHIP PG but then again, look at some of the PGs that have won titles over the years. I don't think Miller will make or break our title hopes.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »
Do people see Miller as a CHiP level PG?  I really don't, primarily because I think his D is already kind of shoddy and won't get any better as he gets older.

That's a good question, and next year should tell us a lot.

I really enjoy watching Miller run a team.  He really has become one of my favorite players on the team with his crafty team play and that steely intensity.  I feel like he is in many ways a nearly AI type competitor, but he lets it burn inside instead of wearing it on his sleeve.

I was amazed at how many times Mo benched Miller in favor of Lou late in games.  I was surprised Miller didn't throw a hissy fit like 90% of the league would have- and enjoyed seeing Lou get he chance to close out games.  I wonder if this will continue now that we have jumped from the rebuilding to the winning track in one momentous night?

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:53 AM »
Until Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell got there, KG never saw the second round of the playoffs...and in his career has only seen the second round of the playoffs twice, with help...i find it a silly statement to say he's never been to the second round, it's a team sport folks

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »
Agreed.  Miller might no be a championship caliber pg playing next to a SG and SF who can't shoot- but watching Miller's high level of play last year demonstrated he could lead a team far with the right teammates (although that line can apply to many players.)

Miller is a good enough shooting PG since he knows how to shoot within his comfort zone.  He just needs to play on a team where he doesn't have to shoot outside 18 feet.  With the wrong teammates he could be exploited- but isn't that true for all players.  Put even a great pg like CP3 with the wrong mix of good players and his weaknesses would be exploited (team him up with an undersized scoring SG like AI or Arenas.)