Author Topic: Brand?  (Read 81413 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Brand?
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
Most sign-and-trades are to a team under the cap that I can think of. I am trying to remember how a guy like Eddy Curry was traded.

A s&t with Iggy and his upcoming BYC status would almost need to go to a team with cap room, or a large exception.

jemagee

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »
They play different games, really.  Ben's 1000x a better catch and shoot player than Louis, which is what this team really needs IMO.  Ben also is a better defender at the 2.  I don't like Louis as a 2 guard at all, really.

Thanks, I know gordons the better option but he's also much harder to obtain :)

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »
Agree, on JR Smith, but I think the Sixers are focused on avoiding "problem" players.  Granted much of Smith's issues may be over hyped by the media, but usually there is truth to it.  He was basically given away by one team and ripped constantly for his selfishness by another.  

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
I've said it once before.  You don't NEED 3 point shooters to be successful.  Iguodala is going to be better overall than a guy like Redd because even though Redd can shoot the 3, it's not enough of an offensive difference to replace Iggy's steals and overall defense.

Just because you've said it doesn't mean it's true.  There aren't many successful half court teams that don't have shooters in their starting lineup to spread the court.  There aren't many championship teams that aren't successful half court teams.  Ergo, the Sixers need to improve their perimeter shooting.

Yes, but how many half-court teams have focused on efficiency and o-boarding vs. 3 point shooting?  The Sixers were fairly effective in the half-court at times last year, and that was with guys like Reggie Evans and Willie Green.  They wouldn't've won 2 games against Detroit in the postseason alone if they couldn't play in the halfcourt.  Miller-Iggy-Thad-Brand-Dalembert is going to be a very efficient unit with a lot of o-boarding power.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »
Yes, but how many half-court teams have focused on efficiency and o-boarding vs. 3 point shooting?

Ok.  So find the championship team that built their team the way you're suggesting.  I'll await your findings.

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
Most sign-and-trades are to a team under the cap that I can think of. I am trying to remember how a guy like Eddy Curry was traded.

A s&t with Iggy and his upcoming BYC status would almost need to go to a team with cap room, or a large exception.

Since we would be under the cap when we sign Iguodala, I thought that means he would not be tagged as a BYC player.  If we go OVER the cap in signing him, does that negate that rule?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
Since we would be under the cap when we sign Iguodala, I thought that means he would not be tagged as a BYC player.  If we go OVER the cap in signing him, does that negate that rule?

I'm pretty sure if we sign brand first and go over the cap, that negates the rule.  I'll try to look it up today.

jemagee

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
Seems like a rather risky proposition to be dependent on something unproven...i think the sixers did what they did last year out of necessity, not with any plan to revolutionize the NBA...and when you look at the suns and see that they've given up their 'grand experiment' and the fact that it didn't work well enough come playoff time to win a title...I mean I'm all for trying something new, I'm a big billy beane fan, but come playoff time, in baseball it comes down to the pitching and in the nba it comes down to defense and executing in the half court...that's why teams like the suns (or As) just don't progress far enough in the playoffs

jemagee

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »
Yes, but how many half-court teams have focused on efficiency and o-boarding vs. 3 point shooting?

Ok.  So find the championship team that built their team the way you're suggesting.  I'll await your findings.

Snippy :)

Offline The Sixer Fixer

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »
Since we would be under the cap when we sign Iguodala, I thought that means he would not be tagged as a BYC player.  If we go OVER the cap in signing him, does that negate that rule?

I'm pretty sure if we sign brand first and go over the cap, that negates the rule.  I'll try to look it up today.

But we can't sign Brand and go over the cap.  We can only sign Brand with what we have under the cap.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »

Not snippy at all.  Nowhere did I degrade him or his view.  It was simply a way of expressing my point.

Had I added:
- See, I like to have my views grounded in actual reality rather than fantasy...", that would have been snippy.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »

But we can't sign Brand and go over the cap.  We can only sign Brand with what we have under the cap.

I think you may be right.  I was thinking since signing Iguodala would take us over the cap, but it looks like it's only if you're over the cap before signing the player.

jemagee

« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »

Not snippy at all.  Nowhere did I degrade him or his view.  It was simply a way of expressing my point.

Had I added:
- See, I like to have my views grounded in actual reality rather than fantasy...", that would have been snippy.

You're absolutely no fun - you know that right? :) :)

jemagee

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2008, 01:16:03 PM »

I think you may be right.  I was thinking since signing Iguodala would take us over the cap, but it looks like it's only if you're over the cap before signing the player.

Hypothetically, how does it work a sign and trade involving TWO BYC players, does it make it easier or harder?

I.E.  Andre Iguodala signs with the sixers, ben gordon signs with the bulls, traded for each other...is that doable?

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2008, 01:17:28 PM »
Yes, I know quite a bit about the real estate market in california, trust me, god forsaken santa barbara 40% over market value houses haven't moved a damn bit...

Sucks down here in Thousand Oaks as well. Ventura county has tanked as well.